Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rifle for Wild Boar Hunting in Hawaii

+10
REVOLUTION
MANOA HOG HUNTAH
kalama
CAVE CANEM
evan
Koa Boa
=cHaMpIoN sOuNd=
timmy96815
nshunter
J4R
14 posters

Go down

Rifle for Wild Boar Hunting in Hawaii Empty Rifle for Wild Boar Hunting in Hawaii

Post  J4R Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:21 am

What type of rifle (s) do you guys use for boar hunting?

J4R
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Rifle for Wild Boar Hunting in Hawaii Empty Re: Rifle for Wild Boar Hunting in Hawaii

Post  nshunter Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:06 am

For stalking I use a Winchester 30-30 trapper or a Ruger 44 mag.
nshunter
nshunter
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Rifle for Wild Boar Hunting in Hawaii Empty Re: Rifle for Wild Boar Hunting in Hawaii

Post  timmy96815 Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:02 am

I use a winchester .270 remington 700 sps.

Also have a savage 25-3000 that I used till I got the remington.

Chose the remington cause of lighter recoil (compared to 30-06 or larger caliber) and flat trajectory. Seems good enough for any animal in Hawaii.

Watch for sales on gunsamerica or whatever you can get some good deals if you just take your time.
timmy96815
timmy96815
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  =cHaMpIoN sOuNd= Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:31 pm

winchester30-30.... Twisted Evil
=cHaMpIoN sOuNd=
=cHaMpIoN sOuNd=
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  timmy96815 Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:19 pm

Forgot to mention one thing. .308 caliber is the easiest to buy, and seems to always be in stock.
timmy96815
timmy96815
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:01 pm

All good suggestions above J4R to me it depends on what kind of hunting you wanna do? Hard to beat the 30-30 especially in the trapper version for stalking in the thicker stuff where shots wont range really far or the ruger 44 carbine both are quick and fast handling. If youre gonne be shooting across ridges etc then a bolt action in any medium caliber will suffice.

What kind of rifle hunting you plan on doing? we can help you better if we know this info.

Aloha,

Bradda Muns
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  evan Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:25 pm

winchester 94 ranger 30-30 or a short barreled shotgun in the thick, remington 700 .308 with iron sights in the open...
evan
evan
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  CAVE CANEM Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:30 pm

With the dogs- .357 or 22 mag
Reach out and touch somebody- 30-06
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  kalama Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:52 pm

old faithfull 30 carbine
kalama
kalama
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  J4R Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:10 am

I thank each and every one of you for your input! It’s always best to hear from the guys in the trenches!

I plan to do mainly pig hunting and enjoy the idea that cowboy lever actions are still manufactured, a type of rifle I have always wanted to own if it will suite the bill for pig hunting. I would image I would be doing more short range (less than 100 yards) shooting than long range shooting. I am assuming the lever action could fit this bill?

Thanks

J4R
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  MANOA HOG HUNTAH Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:54 am

kalama wrote:old faithfull 30 carbine
rahjah dat i use da carbine too lil bit more juice den one .22 mag drop couple pigs on the fly so far i like it its a good gun
MANOA HOG HUNTAH
MANOA HOG HUNTAH
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  REVOLUTION Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:11 am

30/30 BUT THIS YEAR NO PIG'S CAME MY WAY OA TRY'N TO SNEAK AWAY....SO HAV'NT SHOT 1 THIS YEAR... IT AINT OVA YET THO HAVE A FEW MORE MONTH'S... BUT IT'LL DO THE JOB...

RICKY,
REVOLUTION
REVOLUTION
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Huntaz Of War Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:11 pm

i use 30 30 marlin it work like a champ for me
Huntaz Of War
Huntaz Of War
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Rifle for Wild Boar Hunting in Hawaii Empty gamol pellet gun

Post  Team Bad Boa/oki boi Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:07 pm

gamol pelet gun
Team Bad Boa/oki boi
Team Bad Boa/oki boi
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  spoonmeet Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:23 pm

Koa Boa wrote:All good suggestions above J4R to me it depends on what kind of hunting you wanna do? Hard to beat the 30-30 especially in the trapper version for stalking in the thicker stuff where shots wont range really far or the ruger 44 carbine both are quick and fast handling. If youre gonne be shooting across ridges etc then a bolt action in any medium caliber will suffice.

What kind of rifle hunting you plan on doing? we can help you better if we know this info.

Aloha,

Bradda Muns

you couldnt have said it any better

spoonmeet
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  Nic Barca Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:59 am

I'm always hunting in dense forest my favorite gun I found for those circumstances was a 20 gauge pump shotgun with about 21" smooth bore barrel and rifle sights. Had an Rem 870 express like that and would use either buckshot or slugs or a combo depending on the situation. Short range gun, real light, versatile, and lots of firepower! Hard to miss a running pig with buckshot. If you hike a long ways, you'll benefit from a light gun. Agree also that 30-30 or 44 mag are great calibers for hunting pig in thick forests. Lever actions, pumps and bolts are all real solid guns. I used to have problems keeping semi-autos clean when plowing through bushes. had some jams but I admit I was rough on them. In open country or when shooting across valleys you'll want a longer range gun like a scoped rifle in 308 on up. Avoid small or light calibers unless hunting with dogs or real experienced. 30 calibers on up also ensure a good blood trail.
Nic Barca
Nic Barca
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.huntfishhawaii.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Huntaz Of War Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:33 am

the M1 carrbean is a good hunting gun
Huntaz Of War
Huntaz Of War
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum