Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Makua Keaau Goat Hunt '08

4 posters

Go down

Makua Keaau Goat Hunt '08 Empty Makua Keaau Goat Hunt '08

Post  blufin10 Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:52 am

Turkey Joe and myself went on a challanging goat hunt at Makua Keaau Forest Reserve on Oahu last weekend. It was my first goat hunt and although we didn't take an animal it was a great experience. We saw 50+ goats and had better than 6 animals within rifle range. I was a little disapointed with the average size but I did glass several nice billys with maybee 20" plus hardware. We didn't want to take anything we would be unable to retrieve/pack out so we refrained from shooting. Here are a few of the photos I took. Can you find the goat in the last one?
Makua Keaau Goat Hunt '08 Img_0010

Makua Keaau Goat Hunt '08 Img_0011

)Makua Keaau Goat Hunt '08 Img_0014

Makua Keaau Goat Hunt '08 Img_0013
(Hint: He's laying under a tree)

I decided to go back up and hunt the North side of the valley by myself yesterday. The hike was much more manageable but the weather was miserable cold pouring rain and thick mist with limited visability all day long. I spotted a trophy goat with 21" plus headgear (first pic) just before sunrise and got set up for a shot as he worked his way to the top ridge and east towards the taller peaks with his entourage of 12 Nannys. I let the first group of goats pass unmolested and when I spotted him peaking over the adjacent ridge I decide to shift position slightly. He closed the gap to quickly and busted me in the act. Later that afternoon I got set up further down the ridge in a great snipers nest overlooking the a heavily used feeding area with really fresh sign. I watched goat after goat materialize out of the mist right on cue until a group of 18 young goats and 2 nannys assembeled from 8 to 100 yards downhill and downwind of me. A nice Billly with ~18 inch horns showed up last and worked his way to the bottom edge of the group. Couldn't get a good angle on him and was forced to take a severe quartering away 125 yard shot before he stepped into the trees below. Eben though I aimed low to account for the severe slope angle, I missed him high. Day turned out to be a whole lot of work and missery with nothing but an empty 270 casing, sore legs, and a story to tell. Hope you'll enjoy the photos.

Makua Keaau Goat Hunt '08 Img_0015

Makua Keaau Goat Hunt '08 Img_0016

Makua Keaau Goat Hunt '08 Img_0017

Makua Keaau Goat Hunt '08 Img_0018

Makua Keaau Goat Hunt '08 Img_0020

Makua Keaau Goat Hunt '08 Img_0021

Makua Keaau Goat Hunt '08 Img_0110
This last little guy thought I was his friend. He hung around less than 20 yards from me for over an hour, came back less than 5 minutes after I shot, and let me walk right up to him. He made a good decoy.

Last edited by blufin10 on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:14 am; edited 2 times in total
blufin10
blufin10
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Makua Keaau Goat Hunt '08 Empty Re: Makua Keaau Goat Hunt '08

Post  Babooze Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:23 pm

Great pics!

Babooze
big daddy boar
big daddy boar