Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DOFAW proposed rule changes to hunting regulations

2 posters

Go down

DOFAW proposed rule changes to hunting regulations Empty DOFAW proposed rule changes to hunting regulations

Post  koai'e Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:46 pm

The public comment period was extended for the hunting regulation changes...
unfortunately, there was no formal or public notice of this to anyone as far as I can tell
so guess what guys...THE DEADLINE IS TODAY!
way to go state... whats the point of extending the deadline if you not going tell any one. For more infor check the thread by the same title on other areas of this site or on the Hawaii outdoorsman site.

DAMNIT! any ways, if you get time... here are some excerpts of what I submitted. Please feel free to copy, add your own views and send it in TODAY via e-mail to DLNR@hawaii.gov or postmark written testimony to: DLNR,
Public Hunting Rules, P.O. Box 621, Honolulu, HI 96809.

From: All your contact info, name address phone email Date:January 10, 2011

Please accept this as formal testimony regarding the 2010 proposed rule changes to Hawaii Administrative Rule (HAR) amendments to update Chapters 13-122, Rules Regulating Game Bird Hunting, Field Trials and Commercial Shooting Preserves, and 13-123,Rules Regulating Game Mammal Hunting.

my intro was deleted, insert your own stating why you are concerned with this topic or a breif summary of issues or changes you woul dlike to see in the rule changes. Then go into further detail. Here are some of the issues I wrote about, another topic I heard alot of people submiting about were the elimination of bag limits, expansion of hunting units and the protection of pristine natural areas from ungulate damage...pick your hot topicsThe current regulations state: The dog shall be under control at all times and physically restrained except when actively in pursuit of game.The dog's owner shall be held [strictly] liable for all actions, injuries, or damages caused by the owner's dog, while in the hunting area.

To a responsible hunter “physically restrained except when actively in pursuit of game”means that if you park outside of the hunting unit, dogs should be leashed until within the unit & if you park inside the unit…you are actively in pursuit of game as soon as the tailgate drops. To a hiker who is mandated by law to have their dog on a leash at all times the above wording means that a hunting dog should too be leashed until the game mammal is within sight. Any hunter or wildlife manager knows that this tactic would result in far fewer, to no catches of game mammals resulting in a serious impact to Hawaii's watersheds, freshwater sources, native plants and wildlife as well as threats to humans and impacts to public and private land from encroaching and exploding wildlife populations.

I, and other hunters, feel that the term “actively in pursuit of game” should be defined just as the term “hunting” is defined in the beginning of the document. I believe that an easy fix to this predicament would be to have consistent wording within the definition of the term “hunting”. It could read “hunting: means actively pursuing a game mammal within a legal hunting unit, with the intent to take, kill or capture that game mammal.” This would of course open the door for the definition of “poaching” to be included in the document which I feel is highly important from an enforcement standpoint.

Another issue with the above excerpt is the wording of “The dog's owner shall be held [strictly] liable for all actions, injuries, or damages caused by the owner's dog, while in the hunting area.” On first read, this sentence seems to hold the Hunter & his/her dog liable for any negative interaction that occurs within the hunting unit, whether the hunting dog was the instigator or not. This sentence must be fairly rewritten to hold the responsible party liable, not just the hunting party. It should also be noted that DOCARE enforcement should include enforcing leash laws of non-hunting dogs on all trails especially those that cross public hunting units. Strict enforcement of the leash law or separating hiking areas from hunting areas (or at no hiking on hunting days) would greatly reduce these types of negative interactions that resulted in HCR60 being introduced to legislature.

I strongly and respectfully urge the DLNR to closely review the proposed rule changes for consistency in wording and increased hunting opportunities for all of Hawaii's hunters and what ever else you chose to write about
Mahalo nui loa,

Your name here.

koai'e
koai'e
Piglet
Piglet

http://nalanz.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

DOFAW proposed rule changes to hunting regulations Empty Re: DOFAW proposed rule changes to hunting regulations

Post  **BRADDAH TOMZ** Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:57 pm

Thanks 4 da update.I'm on it and hope other hunters are to.Dont w8 b4 it's 2 L8.come on guys this is where we show were UNITED not DIVIDED...TOMZ
**BRADDAH TOMZ**
**BRADDAH TOMZ**
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum