Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2011 legislation relating to hunting

3 posters

Go down

2011 legislation relating to hunting Empty 2011 legislation relating to hunting

Post  koai'e Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:55 pm

SB 1367 the purpose of this Act is to remove restrictions on the hunting of wild ungulates in order to control their populations...
http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session20 ... B1367_.pdf

HB 579 The purpose of this Act is to prohibit the use of body crushing traps, snares, and non-padded or non-laminated foot or leg-hold traps, regulate the use of snares and foot or leg-hold traps, and establish penalties for violations........

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session20 ... number=579

Find more info on these or other bills by running a search for the bill number or key word search at http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/

Last edited by koai'e on Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:34 am; edited 1 time in total
koai'e
koai'e
Piglet
Piglet

http://nalanz.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

2011 legislation relating to hunting Empty HB 579 Decision on Mon. 2/14/11

Post  Koa Boa Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:01 am

Howzit just wanted to give a quick follow up on this bill it goes to decision making on Monday 2/14/11 you can still send in LATE Testimony on this bill. There is great support for it and not to much opposition so if you wanna be heard regarding this bill send in your testimony now.

I oppose both of these bills and have submitted my testimony on HB579. SB1367 doesnt have a hearing set yet so didnt allow me to submit testimony. There is a chance that it may not even be heard so gotta watch it closely if passed this bill could drastically affect our hunting way of life.

In Da Struggle,

Bradda Muns
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

2011 legislation relating to hunting Empty Re: 2011 legislation relating to hunting

Post  koai'e Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:35 am

Much mahalo's for the follow up Munsta. I will try to keep an eye on SB1367.
koai'e
koai'e
Piglet
Piglet

http://nalanz.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

2011 legislation relating to hunting Empty Re: 2011 legislation relating to hunting

Post  Koa Boa Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:29 am

Big Mahalo to you for posting it in the first place!!!

But yeah these bills its all in the writing and wording, both have good and bad as most bills do and sometimes you gotta ask yourself this question. Does the good outweigh the bad or vice versa??? What most fail to do when it comes to this kind of thing is they fail to READ THE WHOLE THING!!!!! And sometimes they miss something that if they had known it may have changed thier mind on what way they would vote.

The thing I am leery about with SB1367 is the wording and some of the rule changes. Some of them is very detrimental to hunting and although it may seem to the avg hunta like a good thing it really is not. The thing I hate is that they always try to lump us with other places in the nation/world and they fail to realize we are an ISLAND STATE! and we operate/function differently and the same reasons they use DOESNT pertain to us here in Hawaii. But to the unknowing it sounds like they (The Legislature and anyone else that uses this bogus rubbish) know full well what theyre talking about. But in reality they dont know thier A** from a hole in da ground!!! they just like to use this stuff to make them sound good.....Frankly im tired of it!

Take it easy and again Mahalo for watching!!

Alohaz,

Bradda Muns
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Nic Barca Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:18 am

I read'em and what I thought I read was that it would totally elliminate game mammal regulation that exist on public lands. So those restrictions on night hunting, weekends only, daily bag limits, etc would all be history. Instead, you could hunt whenever you want for game mammals on all state lands. Private lands would not be affected by the law. That's what I thought I read.

My initial impression was that it's too radical and DLNR would be in opposition, but I underestimated that many people in DOFAW would agree that there are too many animals as a result of the restrictions. And the game managers seem stubborn to change them. So DLNR should be split in it's support

Personally, I have mixed feelings about this law. I can't deny that it would help the forest, and help game habitat improve over the following decades, but it is hard for me to say goodbye to the good game management programs that exist. ...not that there are many. Management would change if it passed. Management would be up to the hunters.

I'm a back country hunter so I'm not freaked out about it. Always going get game if you go deep enough.
Nic Barca
Nic Barca
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.huntfishhawaii.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:42 am

Nic,
It does mention private property to some extent I just worry about this because once these animals are no longer "Game Animals" then they are no longer protected as such then they just become a "Pest" then whats going to stop them from being Eradicated because they are no longer Game Animals????

Heres a few excerpts from the bill:

The legislature further finds that restrictions should be removed on the hunting of wild ungulates to allow for greater control of ungulate populations to protect and preserve watershed function, agriculture, personal property, traffic safety, and native species of plants and animals and their habitats. The legislature acknowledges concerns that fewer hunting restrictions could lead to the eradication of ungulate species.

The legislature further finds that the codified term "game mammal" effectively creates a protected class of species that does not need protection but rather greater control.

Accordingly, the purpose of this Act is to remove restrictions on the hunting of wild ungulates in order to control their populations.

Deleting the definition of "game mammals":

[""Game mammals" means mammals designated by law or by rule for hunting."]

no license shall be required of persons who may be authorized in writing by the board to destroy game birds or [game mammals] wild ungulates injurious to forest growth or agriculture, or that constitute a nuisance or a health hazard."

Im not worried about the hunters here but those people who want these species GONE FOR GOOD!!! And I work with some of them everyday!!

Just food for thought!!! But we'll see I guess as most dont care enough to fight for it while still can only when its gone will they wake up and realize it. I personally dont see this bill as a good thing but hey I may be wrong or paranoid or whatever.....Im kinda tired myself of fighting the fight when theres hardly any one there with you. I tired of people tellin me to Represent when all dey do is nothing but these same people tell me Hunting is thier life Suspect Suspect Suspect

Bradda Muns
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Nic Barca Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:08 am

I work with some of them people too who hate non-native animals. They bug me. The hunters are a powerful group and any fence that goes up occurs because the hunters allow it. And in some ways it's good we allow it. It's like we loosenned the wedge between hunters and environemntalists. We often shoot ourselves in the foot by being so opposed or critical to game animal reductions. And same with the other side of the coin. The guys wishing to kill all the game anywhere and everywhere have their hands full already with the small areas they currently manage. They just drive the wedge deeper by being so anti-pig across the board. All that does is put off hunters.

What does DOFAW think about this? I would think the game managers would be all up in arms. ...at least on Kauai.

I wish DOFAW would just play ball and arrange for increased hunting pressure. So stubborn. My opinion is we dont need so many right now but we don't need to remove them permenantly from Game Mammal status either. One thing to keep in mind, we can always restock. And suprizingly fast too, but not if they are removed from game mammal status.

I donno. Maybe it's time...

Nic Barca
Nic Barca
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.huntfishhawaii.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum