Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oahu pig gun

3 posters

Go down

Oahu pig gun Empty Oahu pig gun

Post  elevated Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:10 pm

hey all,

I'm a pretty newbie hunter here and planning a move back home to oahu from cali in about 2 years. It's a long story but I have to wait the 2 years to get all the bs in order to not quarantine my dog...sucks.

Anyway I have a question about hunting on oahu. First off I'll mostly be hunting pigs on oahu and hopefully some deer and birds on the other islands. I got the shotgun covered for birds etc. I am going to purchase my first rifle in a few months here in cali. I decided I am going to get a 30-06 for deer and pigs up here. I probably can only afford one other rifle before moving back home to Oahu and I really want a marlin lever action rifle. I also want it in the 45-70 caliber. If you ask me why, I don't know it's just big mean and I like it. I also want a little variety from the 30-06 and I want the iron sights for pigs in hawaii. All the guys say it's a good pig gun for up here in cali. I also like it cause it seems more maneuverable.

Will the marlin in 45-70 be a bad idea for a pig gun on oahu and outer islands?
elevated
elevated
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Oahu pig gun Empty Re: Oahu pig gun

Post  huntachad Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:15 pm

I hunt pigs down here on oahu and use a 270 caliber for all my snipering needs and have taken down alot of pigs with that rifle. I also own a 308 caliber that has open sights that I use for my bush gun compared to alot of my friends that use the 30-30 lever action for their bush gun. I also have a 22 mag that I use instead of my bow and arrow that has taken more pigs than my 270 and 308 combined.... lol. I also just recently bought a 7mm mag that I am presently shopping for a scope for. (My soon to be hog killer). A friend of mine uses a 45-70 when we watch trail and has shot a pig with the gun that I swear has boken the pig in half!!! I refuse to use the gun after witnessing the gun in action. Personally, I think the gun is an overkill. Especially taking into consideration the fact that the pigs down here very rarely get over 200lbs at best. Well at least I have never shot one that big. My dream gun if I ever get to that stage would be a 300 mag, but I am more tan content with my 270.... Hope this helps you out.... Aloha Chad

Last edited by huntachad on Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wrong spelling)

huntachad
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  gotblika Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:23 pm

elevated wrote:hey all,

I'm a pretty newbie hunter here and planning a move back home to oahu from cali in about 2 years. It's a long story but I have to wait the 2 years to get all the bs in order to not quarantine my dog...sucks.

Why 2 yrs? should be less than 6 months.

gotblika
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  elevated Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:53 pm

hey chad I kind of thought it would be overkill for hawaii, I just like that gun for some reason. I guess i have delusional day dreams of finding my self in alaska with it, ha. Anyway I think i'll get something more in the .30 caliber lever action area and save up for a bow. that seems the way to go on oahu!

as far as my dog, i got a 3 year rabies vaccination and since i have to get 2 in her life and wait for the 1st one to expire to get the second one i'm screwed. the first vaccination expires in nov of 2012, so i get the vaccination in nov of 2012 then have to wait 120 days...doh!
elevated
elevated
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  gotblika Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:47 am

You don't have to wait for the rabies vaccine expires. They need 2 vaccinations more than 30 days apart, so 31 days after the first vaccination you can give the 2nd.

You can actually send the blood work today and start the 120 day wait period and get the 2nd rabies vac. at least 90 days before you arrive and you're good to go. I suggest you read this over no less than 3 times. The direct release checklist is on pages 7-10. http://hawaii.gov/hdoa/ai/aqs/aqsbrochure.pdf

If you need any help with it PM me.

gotblika
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  huntachad Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:06 pm

Don't know much about the rabies vaccinations, but good luck. All my dogs are like kids to me so i would do anything it takes to take them with me. Good luck on that issue. Yeah I guess a 30/30 would be an alright gun. My dream gun was to get a 300 mag but everyone told me that I would be gutting the animal as well as Killing it with one shot....LOL. But eventually I know I will own one just for the sake of having one. I am presently and slowly customizing a 7mm mag for my snipering needs. As far as a bow is concerned, I have a hoyt razor tech and a martin jaguar that is currently not in use right now. But if ever the occasion rises, both are ready to go. Maybe when you finally come down we can hook up and you can try some of my weapons so it will help you make up your mind. Good luck and aloha - Chad

huntachad
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  elevated Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:37 pm

right on Chad for the offer, I'm always down to get out there, when I do make it home I'll give you a buzz.
elevated
elevated
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down