Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

anyone been to the Na Pali coast hike

5 posters

Go down

anyone been to the Na Pali coast hike Empty anyone been to the Na Pali coast hike

Post  eric@hawaiisportsman Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:26 pm

I'm planning a trip to camp and hunt goats. Anyone ever been and have any pictures? Thanks Eric
eric@hawaiisportsman
eric@hawaiisportsman
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

anyone been to the Na Pali coast hike Empty Re: anyone been to the Na Pali coast hike

Post  evan Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:33 pm

Im suire Nic Barca will flood this post with knowledge...We both grew up on the north shore and he's hunted that trail more than anyone I know

Na Pali is awesome. Hike in 6 miles and base camp at Hanakoa shack, hunt towards Kalalau for goats and towards the 4 mile for pigs.
evan
evan
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

anyone been to the Na Pali coast hike Empty Re: anyone been to the Na Pali coast hike

Post  Kauai Boy Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:09 pm

Eric, you'll like the hunt. Nice scenery, sometimes nice women on the trail Wink and lots of goats and you might see pigs too Very Happy .
Kauai Boy
Kauai Boy
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  timmy96815 Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:28 pm

I have hiked it once. I went all the way to the end and camped on the beach in a cave. It was awesome. Some parts are steep. I didn't hunt so can't offer any help there. Also no pics... sorry. pale If you do go all the way just bring what you need. The pack gets heavy.
timmy96815
timmy96815
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

anyone been to the Na Pali coast hike Empty Flash flood...

Post  Nic Barca Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:07 am

That place is like my backyard.

There are 6 main valleys in this order:
Hanakapiai (2 mi), Ho'olulu (4 mi), Waiahuakua (5 mi), Hanakoa (6 mi), a series of smaller drier vallies known as Pohakuau (7 to 11 mi), and Kalalau (11.5 mi).

We used to hike in at night to Hanakoa, sleep, hunt all the next day from there to Kalalau, hike back to Hanakoa, sleep, and hike on the third day. Hanakoa was always treated like a base camp. Pohakuau had the best hunting, second only to Kalalau, who's herds have since been decimated by a pack of dogs, poachers, and most likely IMO illegal culling.

For day hunts, you won't make it to Hanakoa. Hanakapiai is still really good if you climb high on the southwest side of the valley. Pretty easy to find game; you just walk up the steep side drains and if there is something there, it will either make noise or cause rocks to fall.

There's no pigs past Hanakoa- ...or "few pigs" past Hanakoa is a more likely scenario. I'm thinking of going next weekend to investigate pig sightings in the back of Kalalau. Pretty much one of the last places in Hawaii to have never had pigs establish. We'll see if I can find the pig and stick an arrow in it. In any case, should be fun goat hunting... -Anyway, Hanakoa has lots of pigs, as does The valleys before it. Each has it's own small mountain apple patch which attracts every pig in the valley while in season. Hanakapiai has lots of food so the pigs tend to be nice and fat. The area holds big pigs and it's common to see goats over 20 inches tip to tip. ...Common to see 25 inchers too. The place has some great hunting, great scenery, prawns and hihiwai in the streams, lots of fish in the ocean, some neat native forests.

Mostly, everybody walks the trail and, after locating game, go from there. In Poahakuao, there is so much game that you usually end up pretty much shooting right from the trail. In Hanakapiai, you need to hike higher if you want decent hunting. It's the kine place where you are guarenteed action. cheers
Nic Barca
Nic Barca
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.huntfishhawaii.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down