Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help getting dog to stop chasing chickens.

5 posters

Go down

Help getting dog to stop chasing chickens. Empty Help getting dog to stop chasing chickens.

Post  Kauai808 Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:59 pm

I got a young dog that I usually let run around my property. She chases the neighbors chickens and now she is starting to chase chickens in the mountains. Any good methods for getting my dog to stop chasing chickens in the mountains? thanks.
Kauai808
Kauai808
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Help getting dog to stop chasing chickens. Empty Re: Help getting dog to stop chasing chickens.

Post  CAVE CANEM Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:34 pm

Howzit Kauai808! The predatory instincts in dogs is fairly easy to teach control over and being that the dog is a pig dog we've already established an escape. There are a few methods you could use such as if the dog is successful, Tying the carcass to their neck for 4 or 5 days with only the essentials house, water, shelter and then ignore them until you take the carcass off (This will also work with rubber slipper theives) or you could take a chicken in a cage and long lead train the dog. If they show any attention to the chicken tug on the lead and give verbal correction. The main thing you want to do is after correction get um on a pig and then give choke praise to reenforce the fact we do not want to affect their prey drive but more aim it. Neither of these techniques are gaurans but have worked on many occasions in the past! Good luck and let me know if I can be any more help.
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Help getting dog to stop chasing chickens. Empty Re: Help getting dog to stop chasing chickens.

Post  spoonmeet Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:31 pm

shock collar,but never while hunting. This is how I get my dogs off cattle, should work with chickens or anything else. Let em run around where get chickens as soon as he shows interest ,and starts chasing zap em, if he no respond dial em up and zap em again. I just let the dog think that what ever they chasing is the cause of the shock. I just make like I not paying any attention . no praises needed when the dog comes back to you. no need scold or yell at em .the dog think the chicken is the cause of the pain and after a couple times of this they not going like chase chickens. couple days of this therapy should work.

spoonmeet
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Help getting dog to stop chasing chickens. Empty Necktie Delight

Post  kumu Sun May 01, 2011 5:41 am

My dad would tie the chicken around the dogs neck and leave em there for about one week. The dog never grab any chickens after that. It worked every time! That was forty something years ago, it goes to show you the different types of correction techniques employed by hunters. Whatever works!!!!!

kumu
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  Kauai808 Wed May 04, 2011 12:44 am

Thank you guys. I think I will try a little bit of everything.
Kauai808
Kauai808
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  ShannonChun Wed May 04, 2011 12:59 am

Oh after cupple days that f##ka must smell crip!!!!!!!! lol!
ShannonChun
ShannonChun
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum