Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

lahole's?

+4
ShannonChun
CAVE CANEM
steady n' ready
NEVERslackin'ALWAYZpackin
8 posters

Go down

lahole's? Empty lahole's?

Post  NEVERslackin'ALWAYZpackin Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:28 pm

is there such a thing in oahu? or does everyone kill everything? hahaha never did hear of anyone getting a lahole in oahu. mostly 50-100lb boars&sows. sometimes 100-150 poundas wen lucky. but makes sence cuz oahu is WAY smaller then BI. and 10X more huntaz. just woundering
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

lahole's? Empty everyone need meat on the table

Post  steady n' ready Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:41 pm

their might be some, but the majority of hunters kill their catch, which aint a bad thing, everyone needs meat on the table, and its hard enough for these guys to climb up and down palis all day, and dogs trying to stop pig. hunting is a hard job in its own! but in order for people to cut and let go in oahu everyone is gonna have to be on the same page and same state of mind to do so. because the island is smaller and limited hunting areas, theirs no sense cutting a boar making it lahoole if its only gonna be a lahole for a week or two before it gets caught again. big island has more area for the pigs to travel and a greater number of pigs so have less chances of catching that same boar you cut that fast. i know guys that catch 150lb boars and sows and cut um let um go. just depends on your hunting style and where your from. this topic came up before and was a big can of worms from different people from different islands and their point of views, but gotta understand where they coming from.
steady n' ready
steady n' ready
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

lahole's? Empty Re: lahole's?

Post  NEVERslackin'ALWAYZpackin Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:46 pm

haha rojah. i was just woundering cuz thats exactly what i would expect. i would do the same if i lived oahu. cuz from what i heard thay run more, gotta walk far just to find pigs, and "most" people there gotta run about 5-15 dogs just to stop pigs there. here most people just run 2-5 dogs. so ya it makes sence a fresh cut boar wouldent last verry long...
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  CAVE CANEM Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:33 am

I've seen a few Oahu laho'ole that lasted a few years to grow to their size so still get possibilities there could be more out there, Just gotta put the miles on the boots!
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  ShannonChun Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:05 am

I heard of ppl catching but only a hand full but only like 130 pound kind but in my 15 years of hunting I never fought one.
ShannonChun
ShannonChun
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  steady n' ready Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:22 am

i would think would have some on the ranches, or the ranch hunters who have access would do so, since its private land. but main thing us hunters hunt for the love of hunting and meat on the table! thats all its about, no matter lahoole boar or sow, we all gotta eat! auryte. hunt hard and safe guys, go get um
steady n' ready
steady n' ready
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  lockaz Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:12 pm

sup kaiola i lost browny and a whippit up mana so if can keep an eye out for them now im down on dogz till i get them back howz da hogz out dea lmk ill come hunt with u 1 day call me up if anyting 990 2377 shoots
lockaz
lockaz
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:24 am

Yes we have a few runnin around ive cut alot but not as much now because ive slowed down trapping alot. With the dogs its harder but still possible as someone above posted we need to be of the same state of mind for it to really be commonplace. Growing up on the ranch it was common to laho'ole boars on a regular basis there were alot of laho'oles on the ranch when I was growing up. We even caught some in ajoining valleys that we cut in the ranch it was always a cool thing to me. Sometimes we would re-release them so they could grow bigger then there were some some we never seen again. Had our A$$ handed to us many times from laho'oles too but thats how it goes.

I applaud you braddaz that continue to do it I remember one of my first times hunting on the big island in the late 70's we caught some big boars that were cut and let go. It was awesome a give and take style that I grew up with.

Heres an Oahu laho'ole that I cut and re-caught years after cutting him so it was good for me to see that at least some are still out there Smile

lahole's? DSC021972
lahole's? DSC02195

Alohaz,

Bradda Muns
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  HYPA Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:51 am

I too have cut plenty and have caught a few again but what really blew my mind is when i caught a silver one that i didnt cut and was impressed that someone else had the same idea. Granted it ant bennificial to the hog here on oahu to be lauhole because it just makes him more vunerable to the next pack that WILL be coming in right behind you Laughing .

All the hogs I have caught were in the 130-156 range and the ones i have cut and let go were in the 50-70 range most hunters on this island would think you were crazy to cut and let go a 70 pounder Shocked

I would like to see some of these young ones putting up videos of them cutting and letting go. But right now the catch is everything for them. When they get older they will see the challange . We all were there at one time.

lahole's? Cut_pi10

both these hogs were lauholes the second one killed a dog in 30 seconds we caught him coming out and were right below the truck getting ready to cut up and bam we hit him on the cut up trail it only took half a minute to reach.
lahole's? Abe_wi10

HYPA
HYPA
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  ShannonChun Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:52 am

I let go a lot of pigs in my time but the thing is i dont know how 2 cut the nuts off one boar lol the only way i would down on small sized pig is if the dogs messed him up but yea i like 2 let the small ones grow!!! And bye the way thats some nice boars that you guys cought aloha
ShannonChun
ShannonChun
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  HYPA Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:01 pm

That's a good topic for another thread. How to cut nuts Idea
HYPA
HYPA
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  DaylenP. Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:00 pm

ive caught one wen i was a young boi wit one arm brian it was 125lbs wit sum 3inch hooks an also was one fast hunt .i was trippin out he got to grow dat big.....alohaz
DaylenP.
DaylenP.
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  steady n' ready Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:07 pm

Sup braddah munz. Nice llahooles. Its always a wondeful feeling catchin yur own lahoole. I kno a friend down here which has access to ranchland n has caught a few of his own lahooles a few years down the line. Nothing but a nice fat pig with curlas! Unfortunately I'm not forutunate to come by this yet. Lahooles will take yur dogs for the run n in circles, with no smell of a boar n hidin in the gingers. U kno when u hit one! Hypa nice lahooles braddah. Altho I'm not that old I hav plenty respect for u ol'timers on here. I would love to show anyone or encourage people when can to cut boars, especiially the youngbloods down here bigisland. Would love to get a video on here of cuttin a boar...that's if jusacruzah don't beat me to it...ya you issac!!! Auryte, good to see we have good guys on here helpin braddahs out. Konanutcutter keep the worms in the can pls. We all gotta keep a open mind on everyones huntin style n wat island their from. Other then that my braddahs keep pressin! Kaiola 'steady n' ready'
steady n' ready
steady n' ready
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

lahole's? Empty Hunt Proud & Live SOLID!

Post  CAVE CANEM Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:52 pm

Laughing Nah I actually am already in debt a video to Hypa and a few other videos of just the dogs working to another site! I got a camera from another hunter to film Hypas' video but it ended up not wanting to work so I never recorded the video, I carry my digital camera with me every hunt but half the time I forget to bust it out or I am more worried bout getting in there and helping the dogs then I am to set up the camera on a log first. All excuses though, I been frustrated for awhile with the scrubs that surround me and in turn have scrubbed on a few good braddahs that only meant the best . clown action that didn't need to be spread or held onto! I'll do my best to get a video together but I will try post it on HawaiiOutdoorsman like I originally said I would!

Here is a quote from the TDHA forum that got me thinking and reflecting on myself this morning.

An old Cherokee told his grandson, "My son, there is a battle between two wolves inside us all. One is Evil. It is anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies & ego. The other is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, humility, forgiveness, kindness, empathy, & truth." The boy thought about it, and asked, "Grandfather, Which wolf wins?" The old man quietly replied, "The one you feed!"

KonaNutCutter- I got your message on RustyBoar but my computer has been acting up and I can't send messages on Ning network sites or see some videos or pictures posted on certain sites. Just dropping the dogs as steady as I can or scouting new grounds to cruise.
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:16 am

Yessah bradda HYPA nice ones Wink and yes it is always a joy to catch one that isn't your own also. The one in da pic weighed about 15# when I cut him and weighed 135# when I caught um again this year. I cut him 7 yrs ago in kaipolo so its great to see he lasted that long in such a heavily hunted area.
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:15 am

Howzit Bradda Kaiola,

Mahalo! Yup growing up on da ranch was da bomb I miss it dearly. Back in those days we caught some MONSTA lahooles quite a bit 200+ pound kine. In those days I guess you could say was game management so always had big kine pigs nowadays due to environmental concerns eradication seems to be the goal. Having domestic breeds added to the genepool also helped we crossed mostly Hampshire and Duroc lines with a few others thrown in hea and dea.

But Yup I agree and continue to cut and let go as much as possible and hope more Huntaz on all islands that don't do it already to consider doing it.

Alohaz!!!
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down