Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Island newbie needs to learn slide-baiting

4 posters

Go down

Island newbie needs to learn slide-baiting Empty Island newbie needs to learn slide-baiting

Post  papajack Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:54 pm

I am new to the island and trying to get into surf fishing again after a very long time off. Last time I surf fished, was off of North Padre island in the Gulf of Mexico. Now here on Oahu, I hear of slide-baiting rigs and would like to learn. First and foremost, what is the best place to go shopping for tackle & bait? I have two surf poles, 10 ft and 12 ft. I also have three medium-heavy 8 ft poles, and two Salmon poles. I am running 40 lb test on just about all of the reels. I have several different styles of bank sinkers and surf sinkers, heaviest is about 5 oz. Not looking to steal anyone's secrets or get the drop on the best fishing spots, just want to learn where to get the tackle, how to build the rigs, what else do I need, types of bait to use and how to determine the right time to go fishing. It would be nice to get a good discussion going so everyone can learn from one another. Anyways, thank you for your time, mahalo.

papajack
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Island newbie needs to learn slide-baiting Empty fishing gear

Post  huntachad Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:46 pm

Aloha my friend. I'm not to much into fishing right now. More into the hunting scene. But if you are on the island of oahu you can go to Hanapaa Hawaii located in kalihi.(the main store) They have a wide selection of fishing gear for most of your needs. And if you come down to where I live in Waipahu you can go check out Waipahu bicycle. That store is not to big but the people that hang out in there have a wealth of knowledge that they are more than willing to share. Hope this helps you a little bit. Welcome to the islands and good luck!!!!! - Chad

Last edited by huntachad on Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wrong spelling)

huntachad
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Island newbie needs to learn slide-baiting Empty Re: Island newbie needs to learn slide-baiting

Post  NEVERslackin'ALWAYZpackin Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:00 am

i live big island but fishing is the same. slide bait is a pretty eazy set up. you need 2 types of swivles, a stoper swivle and a slider. i usualy use 60-80lbs fishing for ulua. line from the reel to the stoper, about 15 ft breakaway line "about 30lbs" to a lead/sinker. 100-150lbs leader line "1-2ft" with the slider on one side and a circle hook on the other. cast your pole without the leader line "just a stoper swivle, break away line and a sinker" then reel it slow till the weight gets stuck in the rocks. put your pole in a holder line tight as can be. put your bait on the hook "tako/octopus" works good. then twist the slider swivle on your main line, slide it and wait.
NEVERslackin'ALWAYZpackin
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Island newbie needs to learn slide-baiting Empty Re: Island newbie needs to learn slide-baiting

Post  NEVERslackin'ALWAYZpackin Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:05 am

other good baits r pretty much most smaller fish you can catch off shore. "nenue, wek'e,moana,hinalea,opelu,akule, ect" good luck. try by ledges and cliffs, deep drop off's around reefs. aloha!
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  gotblika Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:12 am

gotblika
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum