Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Member drawn for Lanai Axis Hunt

2 posters

Go down

New Member drawn for Lanai Axis Hunt Empty New Member drawn for Lanai Axis Hunt

Post  Ranger91298 Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:27 pm

Just wanted to say hello to the forum members. I am an avid hunter originally from Idaho and being in the military has brought me to the Hawaiian Islands. I have been here over a year now and have had a blast thus far. I have managed to to do a little hunting with a little sucess. I had my wife and oldest son complete hunters safety a few months ago. I put the three of us in for the Axis Deer permit on Lanai this year and we managed to get drawn for April 14th & 15th. This will be my wife's and son's first big game hunt so I would like to get them an opportunity. I have done some homework with looking on Google Earth. I have looked at about every Youtube video there is. I have read just about every topic started on this forum on locations/habits that might help us. This is what I have read: They prefer the open terrain to wooded areas and they move throughout the day but movement picks up later in day. What is the best way to hunt them? Do you find them more in the draws or on ridges? Is hiking in off the roads the best way to find them or stopping and glassing from the road? I have hunted Antelope in Wyoming and it seemed like they would hide in the first draw out of view of the main road. When you jump them, how far do they usually run? Antelope will run 1-3 ridge lines over and then stop to pick up their normal routine. I have not been to Lanai before so it is my plan to fly over 3 days early to get in some glassing time and try to pattern them. From what I have read and saw; last year was a really tough year for hunting due to the drought. Does it seem to be better this year? Does anyone have any area's in mind that I might have a little luck? Any help would be much appreciated. Scott

Ranger91298
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

New Member drawn for Lanai Axis Hunt Empty Re: New Member drawn for Lanai Axis Hunt

Post  Babooze Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:40 am

Hey Ranger,
Its a great idea to go a couple days early and scout things out. It sounds like you did your home work and got things pretty well figured out. Scout as much as you can while Lanai is a pretty small island the hunting area (half the island) is actually pretty big. Glassing is pretty important, look for the escape routes and trails to water and food. In my experience they dont prefer the open or the woods more. The main challenge is that they travel in groups a lot and that many eyes is hard to defeat. Also they seem like they are always on the go and moving. I guarantee you will see lots of game though. Have fun and post pics! BTW Thanks for your Service!

Babooze
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://hawaiioutdoorsman.freeforums.org/index.php

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum