Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hog hunting question...

5 posters

Go down

hog hunting question... Empty hog hunting question...

Post  Hog huntin 808 Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:05 am

when hunting for hogs with a compound bow. what exactly do you need? also what is the strategy? ex. morning? day? night? feeder or no feeder? or just sit and wait..? I don't have dogs so that's of of the question ......any info or suggestion would help.

Hog huntin 808
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

hog hunting question... Empty Re: hog hunting question...

Post  Kauai808 Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:47 am

Hog huntin 808 wrote:when hunting for hogs with a compound bow. what exactly do you need? also what is the strategy? ex. morning? day? night? feeder or no feeder? or just sit and wait..? I don't have dogs so that's of of the question ......any info or suggestion would help.

I usually hunt in the evening. Enough light that if I don't shoot a pig I won't get lost in the dark on the way out. As for as what you need, I just have my bow, arrow, knife, rope for hanging a pig. I've been using a face camo thing latetly. I would recommend a range finder if you can afford one but I don't have one yet. I've had success with spot and stalking. You just need to go to a place that you know pigs visit. I just started to tree stand hunt with a feeder. Feeder is your best bet for baiting pigs in I think. Sometimes I use scent killers. I think one of the major things is TAKE YOUR TIME. walk slow. You will get your heart rate up when you see a pig but don't rush a shot and place a good arrow. Let me know if you have anymore questions.
Kauai808
Kauai808
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Hog huntin 808 Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:09 am

what's a face cameo? so what about night hunting? safe? or just evening? what do you use in your feeders?

Hog huntin 808
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  Kauai808 Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:17 am

Hog huntin 808 wrote:what's a face cameo? so what about night hunting? safe? or just evening?

Face mask. Usually my face was the only thing not covered with camo. You could hunt in the dark. You would need a good hog light I'm guessing. I like to use headlamps when walking in the jungle at night. More lumens the better. It's hard to find blood at night without a good flashlight. I've walked my dogs at night but never had any action and its hard to navigate when i went. What kind of hog hunting you plan on doing? Also lighted nocks help.
Kauai808
Kauai808
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Hog huntin 808 Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:23 am

Kauai808 wrote:
Hog huntin 808 wrote:what's a face cameo? so what about night hunting? safe? or just evening?

Face mask. Usually my face was the only thing not covered with camo. You could hunt in the dark. You would need a good hog light I'm guessing. I like to use headlamps when walking in the jungle at night. More lumens the better. It's hard to find blood at night without a good flashlight. I've walked my dogs at night but never had any action and its hard to navigate when i went. What kind of hog hunting you plan on doing? Also lighted nocks help.

I am planning on evening and late night hunting. I have a true glow sight but I guess I need a head lamp and some glow nocks..also what bait do you use in your feeder? I plan on eventually feeder hunting so they can come to me. when its dark how do you actually. shoot the hog point and shoot? or shine em with a head lamp? I'm new to all this. sorry

Hog huntin 808
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  Kauai808 Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:29 am

I've never hunted with a bow at night but from the youtube vids i've seen, they had some kind of light attached to their bow.

https://www.youtube.com/user/hogdude1234?ob=0#p/c/90A4926398C9AE1E/32/tNlCV8dzqtM This guy likes to hunt at night. check his vids out.
Kauai808
Kauai808
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Kauai808 Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:31 am

Hog huntin 808 wrote:
Kauai808 wrote:

I am planning on evening and late night hunting. I have a true glow sight but I guess I need a head lamp and some glow nocks..also what bait do you use in your feeder? I plan on eventually feeder hunting so they can come to me. when its dark how do you actually. shoot the hog point and shoot? or shine em with a head lamp? I'm new to all this. sorry

I have a bow site that has a small light on it so I can see the pins at night. I think if you have a regular headlamp you might scare the pigs. Maybe some of the other guys have done some night hunts.
Kauai808
Kauai808
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

hog hunting question... Empty other site

Post  Hog huntin 808 Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:33 am

should I register other site too? better then this?

Hog huntin 808
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  Kauai808 Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:36 am

If you like. Sometimes this forum gets spammed. Do both if you got the time.
Kauai808
Kauai808
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Hog huntin 808 Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:41 am

will do. thank you

Hog huntin 808
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  Kahokua Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:08 am

Where are you located on the big island? I'm from the big island but currently living in Oahu. Ill be back home in Hilo march 16 - April 8th. I'm bringing my hunting stuff back with me. I might do a trip out to kona side as well. If you're free I could show you my set up and give u some advice. Back in Hilo I have pigs come in my back yard all the time as I live in waiakea uka forest reserve. I hunt them at night in my backyard as well so I could show u my set up which has been very successful for me.
Kahokua
Kahokua
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  Hog huntin 808 Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:32 am

Kahokua wrote:Where are you located on the big island? I'm from the big island but currently living in Oahu. Ill be back home in Hilo march 16 - April 8th. I'm bringing my hunting stuff back with me. I might do a trip out to kona side as well. If you're free I could show you my set up and give u some advice. Back in Hilo I have pigs come in my back yard all the time as I live in waiakea uka forest reserve. I hunt them at night in my backyard as well so I could show u my set up which has been very successful for me.

I live in captain cook / S.Kona that sounds great I would very well appreciate that. do you have a cell number PM me and I can meet up with you then.

Hog huntin 808
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauim808n Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:32 am

bait da hogs a day in advance in a good spot...tree stand helpful or a blind...go to grocery store grab some old vegetables lay it out at a distance of your preference make sure to check the wind direction sit wait pig will come along if in a high traffic area
Mauim808n
Mauim808n
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  Nic Barca Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:27 am

sneak around early and late in the day. They sleep mid day usually in thick places. You'll need a bow & arrow with broadheads (keep them razor sharp or they wont work as well). That's pretty much the basics. A sharp knife, some rope, camo clothes. I'd hold out on the night hunting unless you have already mastered shooting well and blood tracking. more likely to wound one is why. Binoculars can help if you have a good view, you can spot them and try to sneak up on them. Wait for the right shot. If you see fresh sign, stake out that area. They'll probably come back.
Nic Barca
Nic Barca
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.huntfishhawaii.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down