Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hog Down. First Trad Kill...

+6
Nic Barca
honu ea
Ikestr
timmy96815
CAVE CANEM
UpFront
10 posters

Go down

Hog Down. First Trad Kill... Empty Hog Down. First Trad Kill...

Post  UpFront Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:02 am

6:30 pm, getting kinda dark and not much time left, I heard a twig crackle up the hill. There is a big tree in the way so I can't see but I think there is a pig coming down the trail. I saw a bird flush nearby and I realized something is certainly happening. I looked back up the hill after not being able to see what's on the other side of the tree and saw a black Boar coming down the trail. He dissapeared behing the tree as well so I just turned my attention to the "Pit" There was a hog right there already! It snuck in on me while I was staring up the hill. I thought to myself I can take this one right now, I have a perfect shot. I had a feeling the black one was bigger so I waited for it. Sure enough when it came in it came right up behing the first one and gave it a sniff from behind. I knew that was my Boar.
I was shaking like a leaf trying to find my shot. The other Hog was in the way blocking the shot. I must have drew back my 55# Howatt at least five times and didn't take the shot because it was iffy. Breathe, breathe. Finally... right there... yeah, I drew back, found my spot, and let her rip. Thwack!!! about a 15 yd shot, I was sure my arrow found it's mark.
The Hogs ran right back up the hill where they came from and I could see them kinda spin around a little maybe 50 yds away just inside some thicker cover.
I was a little worried when I climbed down and checked the spot where I shot... no arrow, no blood.I figured well I know where they ran so I just headed up there. Now I got blood, lots of blood. Easy track right to him. Sweet! Piled up maybe 50 yds away right where I saw him spin.
Perfect shot, the 125 grn Snuffer went right through it's heart and passed through the other sideHog Down. First Trad Kill... TradKillHog Down. First Trad Kill... 86Boar
UpFront
UpFront
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Hog Down. First Trad Kill... Empty Re: Hog Down. First Trad Kill...

Post  CAVE CANEM Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:31 am

Nice shot UpFront!!
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  timmy96815 Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:08 am

Dave,
You da man.

Loved the story and pics.
timmy96815
timmy96815
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  UpFront Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:17 am

Thanks Gang! I don't know if you all believe in all that UV stuff, but I had some Hogs come in about 4 days ago and they spotted me. I was head to toe camo in scent free Mossy Oak Break Up. After eyeing me up one of the Hogs ran around to the downwind side of me and sniffed the air... busted. None of them offered me a shot before running off.
I checked my camo under black light and it lit up like a glowing fireball! I had some other camo stuff so I checked it as well. It did not glow so that's the camo I am wearing in the photos. I even went as far as switching to some other arrows that didn't glow. That's why there are only two in my quiver... one for the shot and I hid the other one behind a tree. Even that old hat! it was the only one I had that didn't glow.
I'm not tryin to sell nuthin here, just something I noticed.
UpFront
UpFront
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Hog Down. First Trad Kill... Empty Awesome story thanks for sharing

Post  Ikestr Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:27 am

Nice to see ya bring home the bacon cheers .
Ikestr
Ikestr
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  timmy96815 Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:30 am

Now you gotta put a pic of your wife's face right when she comes through that white door and sees that pig hanging there.

I know mine is not too happy whenever I bring something bloody home. Razz Razz Razz Razz
timmy96815
timmy96815
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Hog Down. First Trad Kill... Empty good job

Post  honu ea Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:51 am

right on bradda. good looking pig. keep it up.
honu ea
honu ea
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Nic Barca Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:05 am

Right on! Loved the story too.
Nic Barca
Nic Barca
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.huntfishhawaii.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Misadventure Gear Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:59 am

Rock On UpFront!!! Nice shot.

And yes, you gotta watch the UV brighteners when you wash your hunting clothes. I've used UV-Killer by the same company that makes Sport-Wash with really good results. Once you treat your gear and clothes, only use detergents that say they don't contain UV brighteners. First time you wash em in your wife's laundry deteregent they gonna glow again.
Misadventure Gear
Misadventure Gear
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.misadventuregear.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:46 am

Right on UpFront cherry one cheers cheers cheers I learned how to shoot archery on a Damon Howatt Hunter recurve man I loved that thing it was my constant companion daily. Glad to see you get one on Traditional equipment solid and keep it up.

Aloha!
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Hog Down. First Trad Kill... Empty first TRAD kill

Post  Lyle B Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:19 am

Solid, UpFront. Keep on hitting em with the stick!

Aloha, Lyle

Lyle B
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Hog Down. First Trad Kill... Empty first traditional hog

Post  AK Andy Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:46 pm

Right on - Upfront! sweet boar, I enjoyed the whole story and pics- congrats on the nice hog. I've been enjoying Kauaiian pork up here in AK this summer- it is the best eating! thanks for posting it, way cool you whacked him good like that brah!
every little bit counts and I don't see through pigs or deer's eyes so can't say for sure about them detecting UV and all that, but if it any thing like that gives the hunter a bit more confidence then the power of that belief will make him more successful. that's the way I see it, so why not test your stuff with a black light- good idea- I plan to do the same now- mahalo for the idea.
Aloha,
AK Andy
AK Andy
AK Andy
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  UpFront Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:11 pm

Well, aside from a little left over kalua pork in the fridge, this is all that's left of my Boar. I accidently cut off about an inch from each one when I was taking them out of the jaw but still some decent hooks, and a nice little momento. Time to start another hunt. Cool Hog Down. First Trad Kill... CIMG1457
UpFront
UpFront
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum