Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Breaking in a new gun

4 posters

Go down

Breaking in a new gun Empty Breaking in a new gun

Post  Kauai808 Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:33 am

I just got my 22 and was wondering if I need to break it in? What do you guys recomend?
Kauai808
Kauai808
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Breaking in a new gun Empty Re: Breaking in a new gun

Post  Koa Boa Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:19 am

Howzit my bradda nah you'll be fine when people talk about breaking in guns its a process regarding barrel fouling etc. it usually includes custom barrels etc. which is another story so i'll stop there. Although it wouldnt harm if you kept up cleaning on your new rifle. it all depends on the rifle sometimes some like to be cleaned while others dont especially when looking at factory guns.

Goodluck with your new rifle! Aloha!
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Breaking in a new gun Empty breaking in a new rifle

Post  Jedi8541 Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:48 pm

Kauai808, you will find as many different ideas on breaking in a rifle as there are which rifle is best for deer hunting. This is only my opinion , and i have come to this over a period of 25 years and learned from some of the best shooters in America. If you have a custom barrel, say, Lilja, Krieger, Shilen, Hart, Broughton, Schneider or some other high end barrel, they may have there own specific procedure for barrel break in for their warranty to remain in effect, but the facts are that no two pieces of steel shoot the same way even if they come out of the same barrel blank.
If I recall correctly you just purchased a Ruger 10/22. If this is the rifle in question, and I have 2 of these, this rifle is good to go right out of the box for thousands of shots. Since there is no jacket on a .22 there is only pure lead fouling no copper or any type of jacket to foul the bore. The only problem you will most likely incur will be a dirty bolt assembly, the 10/22 is notorious for being dirty there. You should just clean that with CLP or some equivalent ever so often. As far as cleaning the barrel, shoot it until the accuracy goes away cleanit and start shooting again. There are several websites if you do a search on them that will back this up.
Jedi8541
Jedi8541
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:51 am

Very good advice Jedi and seeing your MOS it doesnt surprise me Thank You Very Much for your service.
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  m16a2soldier Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:52 pm

Ive got one of these 10/22's myself and yes it was pretty much good to go right out of the box. only trouble I had was it didnt like hi-cap mags. only peice of advise Id add would to be to buy decent ammo. noticed on some rounds it jams fairly regularly.
m16a2soldier
m16a2soldier
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum