Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Introduce Myself

+3
UpFront
Babooze
Rockpit tx
7 posters

Go down

Introduce Myself Empty Introduce Myself

Post  Rockpit tx Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:37 pm

Just wanted to say hi and Introduce myself. My name is Larry and I live in Fort Worth Tx. and was led to this sight by HONU EA (Aloha PAKA) who I met on another web sight based in Texas. I contacted him about my wife and I coming to the Island the first week of May, and I was trying to work out a chance to bowhunt a Hawaiian Boar. Right away Paka was extending offers of help,equiptment and anything else needed. I was very surprised by such generosity, and very excited after our conversation. For me to come to your Island and get to Hunt a Boar is a once in a lifetime chance for me, and I will seize the opportunity. Here in TX most of the Hogs only come out after dark, so we hunt them at night. There is no season and no limit, and you can hunt them with anything. If I did this right,here is a pic one of my hunts
Introduce Myself 101_0010

Last edited by Rockpit tx on Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rockpit tx
Rockpit tx
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Introduce Myself Empty Re: Introduce Myself

Post  Babooze Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:08 pm

Welcome aboard Rockpit!

Babooze
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://hawaiioutdoorsman.freeforums.org/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  UpFront Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:27 pm

Aloha and welcome Rockpit.
UpFront
UpFront
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  CAVE CANEM Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:41 pm

Welcome Larry! Is that a texasboars light??
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Rockpit tx Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:33 pm

Jusacruzah wrote:Welcome Larry! Is that a texasboars light??

No sir it is a old model Hawglite that worked great until I dropped it putting it in my backpack. I am fixing to buy the new model Hawglite Marauder. Its not as bulky and you can adjust the beam where needed. Here is another Texas hog
Introduce Myself Img_0110
Rockpit tx
Rockpit tx
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  HYPA Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:17 pm

Welcome rockpit glad to have you aboard, You will find the most helpful people on this site., and almost all are class acts, you need any info on anything youll find it here.Nice to see our community is reaching out to the mainland.

Those TX hogs are no jokes, they are big!....and tasty... Very Happy had an opurtunity to hunt down south of edinburg and saw some grizzlies.
Cant wait to go back!
HYPA
HYPA
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Rockpit tx Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:51 pm

Thanks HYPA- The only question I have right now is how hard is it to take your bow on the plane. PAKA offered me use of his backup bow but my Bow would never forgive me if I didnt bring her.Thats bad MOJO
Rockpit tx
Rockpit tx
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  UpFront Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:20 pm

Maybe if you explain the extra baggage fees to her she will understand. If she still insists on going put her in a good hard case for sure and she should be fine.
UpFront
UpFront
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:15 am

Aloha Rockpit,

Glad to have you make yourself at home.

Bringing your bow should be no problem at all do as upfront said and it will be all good. Goodluck on your hunt when you get here hope you have a great time.

Aloha,

Bradda Muns
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  UpFront Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:07 am

Just make sure you check your pins with a few practice shots when you arrive.
Last time I flew to Kona my friend told me I better sight in to make sure nothing got jostled around from the flight. I took my bow out of the case and thought everything looked fine but what the heck, I'll take a couple shots at the two targets he had set up... well, my first shot was perfect, bullseye! he said awwwryte! we all good. No I was not aiming for that target, I was aiming for the other one. scratch Lesson learned.
UpFront
UpFront
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Rockpit tx Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:19 pm

absolutly will take some practice shots first chance I get. My next question is are the cutters on the boars commonly 2 or 3 inches. Or like here in Texas the terrain is tough and a lot of the big boars only have 1-2 inch cutters. This boar weighed 250+ but his teeth were only 1" long
Introduce Myself Bdhogs10
Rockpit tx
Rockpit tx
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  HYPA Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:49 pm

I will say although we dont have the weight like there in texas we do have the choppers 2 1/2 -3 is common here and that may be on a 80lb boar, it is not uncommon to hear of 4 and 5 inchers we have had boars come out of the mountain with tusked curled all the way back to the jaw....Im sure a pict will pop up!!!!lol those are normally 7 - 8 inches. Filers can get up 4 inches, weights will be bigger on other islands like HAWAII<KAUI<MAUI<MOLOKAI but here on OAHU the boars are taking a beating with tha lack of food and terrain so we ave 95 105 lbs in the winter and a lot less in the summer.

Here is my bud Ramil he came on this hunt and he was glad he did!!! he was actually telling me he almost stayed home

Introduce Myself Choppe10
HYPA
HYPA
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Rockpit tx Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:06 pm

Now thats what I am talking about. Nothing like that in Texas, or many other states for that matter. My two biggest dreams. Big Cutters and Daytime Hogs. Man I cant wait. So what is more popular for Honolulu and Oahu area, hunting from a stand over bait, or spot and stalk. Also in April about how long are the days between daylight and dark.
Rockpit tx
Rockpit tx
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  HYPA Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:25 pm

generally in the summer you are looking at 12 -14 hours of daylight, and honolulu ( island of OAHU) is really hard to stalk and be consistant unless you have some really good grounds like private land or something in that matter, public hunting grounds for bow is very limited to just a few areas but the problems is people still sneak in to hunt with dogs,
Most areas here on the island are best withe dog and knife alot of the terrain here is mountains and steep cliffs , you can bait,its not really legal there are so many loop holes in our laws that noone really know the definition of baiting..however in a public hunting area that is designated for dogs the pig are too busy running Very Happy to stop and eat the corn and if they do then the dog hunter most likley will catch em
HYPA
HYPA
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Rockpit tx Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:54 pm

Thanks HYPA. That shows how TEXAN I am. I didnt realize Oahu was the Island Embarassed
And as far as Hunting Grounds, thats where i count on Honu Ea and his generosity. Next question. What is the main Hunting Store there. And can you hunt pigs at night or daytime only, just curious
Rockpit tx
Rockpit tx
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  HYPA Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:28 pm

The law says no night hunting...... Wink ..............as for the stores their is sports authority and some mama and papa stores on the island but you will find that us local hunters improvise alot......alot we make on our own or is bought on the net.
HYPA
HYPA
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Rockpit tx Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:42 pm

I buy most of my stuff off e-bay. The most common way to hunt hogs here is at night. The real fun starts when you gotta track em. Thanks for all the Info.
Rockpit tx
Rockpit tx
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Introduce Myself Empty travel with bow to HI

Post  AK Andy Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:01 am

Howzit Rockpit TX?
Aloha from Alaska. I've been lucky to fly to Kauai the past few winters with my bow. I use a SKB hard case to protect my compound bow, have had very little trouble with it as luggage, one time I was surprised my sight was knocked off a bit, just had to get the 20 yard back in and everything else fell into place, so I certainly suggest practice shots after travel with bow in luggage to make sure everything is still all dialed in.
I am happy for you to be getting the aloha spirit with hunters, that is my exact experience with Hog Wild guys on Kauai. It has been an honor and priviledge to hunt with those guys. I wish you good luck, and welcome to the website. Nice lookin boars man!
AK Andy
AK Andy
AK Andy
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Rockpit tx Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:23 pm

Thanks AK I have only been a member a week but have already learned so much. My son was stationed 2 years in Alaska in the Air Force. I wish I could have made it there to hunt but I just couldnt make it happen at the time. I am really Stoked about Hawaii though. I have a airworthy bow case, I am just wondering how much the baggage charge is gonna be.
Rockpit tx
Rockpit tx
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Introduce Myself Empty Baggage fees

Post  AK Andy Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:53 pm

Hey Rockpit,
Alaska Airlines last time let me have one first luggage parcel for free, the next one was $25, and the 3rd one cost me $50.
Kinda steep, but I like having my trusty proven bow rig to shoot and it's worth it to me, problem is then you gotta pay those same fees coming home too, and last time my 3rd piece was 55 pounds and over the 50 pound limit, so I had to pay an extra $25 as an overweight fee, I was in a hurry, so had no choice and had to let me put it on my card. Good luck hunting. I will be flying over in Feb to hunt sheep and then hogs, I can hardly wait to get a break from this cold AK winter and go hunt in a warm place.
AK Andy
AK Andy
AK Andy
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down