Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A bunch of dumb questions...

5 posters

Go down

A bunch of dumb questions... Empty A bunch of dumb questions...

Post  beagledude Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:17 am

I'm blessed with a job that I can do from anywhere so we recently bought a house on the Big Island on the Hamakua coast where we expect to live part time. I'm an avid bird hunter and would like to do some hunting this fall/winter. So, I have a few rather dumb questions. I understand that you got to register guns with the police, is it just guns or ammo as well ? I usually buy shells in WalMart but I don't see any in the one in Kona, where do you buy shells ? Same thing on Licenses ?

I see that there's a lot of public areas for hunting. Any insight into where's a good spot would be appreciated. I'm not looking for anyone's special secret spot but general areas to explore for pheasants, quail, turkey, francolin (are they good eating ?) where I won't get in the way of more serious pig/sheep hunters. I understand there's a drought so perhaps this isn't the year but any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks/Mahalo !

beagledude
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

A bunch of dumb questions... Empty Re: A bunch of dumb questions...

Post  Turkey Joe Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:40 pm

You have to register your firearms with the PD. If you want to purchase a firearm, you'll also need to get a permit to aquire.

Where to buy shells? I'm not too sure of places in the Hamakua coast area. Check with the folks at Wild Hog feed & seed in Pauilo/Honoka'a. Outside of Hilo there's J. Ohara Store. They sell choke hunting stuff.

Where to go? The Big Island has lots of areas for game bird hunting. Mauna Kea (GMA A) and Kaohe Lease (GMA G) often has lots of birds. Puu Waawaa has birds too, but I'm not sure of access these days. I think makai of the highway was open to public hunting.
The drought has severely affected many area of the higher country, so the birds may not be a plentiful as before. Those are some areas to check. Also, try contact somebody at Big Island Gun Dogs club. They'd be the guys to know the what and the where.

Good luck and check your dog's feet regularly. The lava rocks can really tear them up.
Turkey Joe
Turkey Joe
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  RustyBoar Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:51 am

Sports authority you would be your best bet for shells on the kona side, you can also get your license there too. Kmart sells licenses and used to sell ammo, but i dont know if they still do and it was limited, another choice for ammo is kona reloads up capt. cook. Im not much of a bird hunter, but what joe said is what comes to mind, i know some of those clubs have good pheasent, just gotta pay the price$$.........good luck!
RustyBoar
RustyBoar
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  uplandhawaii Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:35 am

Aloha braddah, I'm also an avid bird hunter! This season not looking to good, pretty dry up there. Like was mentioned SA for ammo or catch J.Hara opening day sale on ammo. Your license can also be bought and paid for online at the DLNR website. huniting license online
For good areas, it'll be tough all over but last year Lau Lease was producing some good pheasants. Further up Kaohe had some decent size quail coveys as well as a lot of erckels.

If the mountain is closed or doesn't produce I'm going to try Kapapala ranch, haven't hunted there in several years but gonna give it a shot. If you want to partner up for opening day shoot me a pm and I'll give you my # and we can talk story. Are you planning on running any dogs?

uplandhawaii
Piglet
Piglet

http://BentFrame4X4.com

Back to top Go down

A bunch of dumb questions... Empty Where is Lau Lease?

Post  doccherry Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:32 am

Aloha uplandhawaii:

Exactly where is Lau Lease? I hunt all over the Big Island and have never heard of it. If Mauna Kea is closed during bird season, try some of the kipukas along the lower Saddle Road toward Hilo, like along Tree Planting Road and Powerline Road. Lots of kalij pheasants back in there, but you have to work for them. Good luck.

doccherry
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  uplandhawaii Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:02 pm

Lau lease is the section of fenced off area on the side of Kaohe, its above the girlscout camp. If you go up to the pine trees on your left they have a gate for access. It used to be open to youth hunts prior to the regular season, last year and I think the year before was open most the bird season.

uplandhawaii
Piglet
Piglet

http://BentFrame4X4.com

Back to top Go down

Post  beagledude Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:42 am

Thanks for all the responses - it helps a lot !

Mahalo !

beagledude
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down