Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help!....I've got rats!

4 posters

Go down

Help!....I've got rats! Empty Help!....I've got rats!

Post  blufin10 Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:58 am

I finally figured out what happen to all my hogs, they've been replaced by a hungry horde of rats!

My feeder stand, which has been in the woods for over 3 1/2 months went cold about 3 weeks ago. I had between 8 and 12 nice hogs including a couple of real good boars showing up regularly when suddenly all activity stopped. At first I thought it might be dogs. Then I reasoned the hogs must have shifted feeding patterns in response to the greater availability of fruits and food. I also noticed the wet cob/corn/black gold feed mix was getting eaten up by an ever increasing number of doves during daylight hours. I then shifted my feeder to feed only once daily (30 minutes after sundown), but still no pig sign or trail cam pics. Some light scouting of the area the other day told me the pigs were still moving through the area. And so the mystery deepened. I decided to take matters into my own hands, and sat in the stand tonight without my bow to see if I could figure out what was happening. Shortly after my feeder went off I heard the telltail sounds of dozens of scurying, pattering little feet on the forest floor and the crunch, crunch, crunch of my feed being devoured. One quick look with the light confirmed my suspisions ....rats and lots of them.
Mystery solved.

What can I do? Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how to deal with my rat problem.

Feed during the day...The birds get it.

Feed at night...and here come the rats!

Should I bury my feed?

Is there something I could mix with it or something else I could use that would foil the competition?

Or am I relegated to running to a new location with my tail between my legs?

Any ideas or suggestions you all might have would be greatly appreciated.
blufin10
blufin10
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Help!....I've got rats! Empty deisel

Post  Buddylee Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:34 pm

Try adding a little diesel. It works here in Georgia to keep bears, coons,etc... outa the corn. Just a little to make it smell.

Buddylee
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Help!....I've got rats! Empty Re: Help!....I've got rats!

Post  branz95 Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:18 pm

Try some peppermint. Heard rats no like the smell.

branz95
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  HYPA Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:36 am

if you can get ahold of some mastic ( the rubbery stuff on the telephone poles) that will take care of it and the pigs cant resist it for some reason they will knaw a tree down if you put it on the trunk scratch .......also if you wanna use a diferent bait try using bread soaked in jack daniels,,,,,,,,,and no im not kidden try and set that out b4 you get into your stand......youll laugh when they eat it!! drunken lol will be the easiest shot you ever take!!!!. Very Happy ..hell you could walk up too em and carry em out alive lol Very Happy
HYPA
HYPA
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down