Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aerial Rat Baiting

+5
trackandgrab
CAVE CANEM
HYPA
braddah mike
Koa Boa
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Aerial Rat Baiting Empty Aerial Rat Baiting

Post  Koa Boa Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:54 am

Aloha Everyone,

I would like to ask all of you to please share with me your thoughts and concerns regarding the use of Aerial Rat Baiting in Hawaii. I have my own thoughts and concerns on this very touchy subject and would like to hear from other huntaz about what they feel about it. I would like an honest opinion so if you feel like you cant keep it family friendly then I kindly ask that you PM me. I will give you a little background so you have some idea of what it is I am talking about.

Aerial Rat Baiting will be done by use of helicopter and a special bucket that hangs from the belly of the aircraft. It carries the bait and allows the pilot to distribute the bait within a fenced enclosure/exclosure while flying. The bait is about the size of dog food or a little bigger which is said to help the bait distribute evenly and not get caught up like the larger blocks were doing. THIS IS SAID TO BE DONE ONLY WITHIN FENCED ENCLOSURES/EXCLOSURES ONLY!!! This has already been done in Hawaii on a Trial Basis a few times, the first couple were considered failures. The last few were considered Good by those who did it.

If you have any questions plz feel free to PM me or post them in this thread!!!

So if you will, Please share what you feel and I will pass them on.

Mahalo Nui Loa,

Bradda Muns
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Aerial Rat Baiting Empty Re: Aerial Rat Baiting

Post  braddah mike Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:00 pm

do you know who was involved in creating/allowing this killing machine?will it be use on land adjacent to public hunting ground.is it possible it could contaminate streams/ocean?what is it made of?will goats pigs cows sheep dogs and other mammals be likely to see this poison as food sources?what type of fence chain link or wire on post?right on for posting this.aloha
braddah mike
braddah mike
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  HYPA Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:48 pm

Well muns you know what I think already about the bait.......Hell its how we met, I know some kinda control is a must but will it just desapate into the ground if the rats dont eat it and do you think they can gaurantee this stuff couldnt be dropped by accident flying in and out of the inclosed areas?

HYPA
HYPA
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:29 pm

braddah mike wrote:do you know who was involved in creating/allowing this killing machine?will it be use on land adjacent to public hunting ground.is it possible it could contaminate streams/ocean?what is it made of?will goats pigs cows sheep dogs and other mammals be likely to see this poison as food sources?what type of fence chain link or wire on post?right on for posting this.aloha

Howzit Bradda Mike,

Yes I do, Yes it will, Yes, the active ingredient is Diphacinone, its possible that other animals will eat it if given the chance, fence is hogwire and stock panel. No problem my bradda glad to inform you guys.

Sorry so short in a helicopter trng right now.

Bradda Chris I give u a call

Alohaz,
Bradda Muns
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Aerial Rat Baiting Empty Wipe out all invasive species in Hawaii

Post  CAVE CANEM Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:31 pm

You put poison here, I breed over there and move back in when your poison is gone! Do these people really get educated first or just sit in class and collect the paper at the end? I almost graduated high school once and even I know you would have to cover the whole island for this to be effective!
Aerial Rat Baiting Fail
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Aerial Rat Baiting Empty rats

Post  trackandgrab Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:09 pm

Wassup Munsta,
I cannot stand rats and wish they could all be exterminated.
However, with what limited information I have on the matter, this "poison drop" sounds irrisponsible and I have some questions:
1. Is it possible that sometimes they going miss the target and get some outside the fence?
2. What about the pueo (Hawaiian Owl). Will they die if the eat a rat that has ingested the poison?
3. Will our dogs die if they bite a hog that has ingested the poison?
4. Will we die if we eat the meat from a hog that has ingested the poison?
5. What if it gets in the streams?
6. Can it be transferred into the fruits through the root system and we get poisoned when we eat mountain apple or whatever?
7. If the rat eat the poison in the fenced area, can't it go outside the fence, die and then be food for animals outside the fence (like one of my dogs) and kill my dog?
8. Would trapping work?
I know we cannot get 'um all. However, I heard that there used to be a bounty on rats and the government or somebody would pay $ for every rat tail you turned in. If it were possible to reimpliment this I think it might be fun to get couple Rat Terriers or Jack Russels, go hunt rats, cut off their tails and turn them in for some $.
Kden Hawaiian...........

trackandgrab
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.dantonnaone.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:25 am

HYPA wrote:Well muns you know what I think already about the bait.......Hell its how we met, I know some kinda control is a must but will it just desapate into the ground if the rats dont eat it and do you think they can gaurantee this stuff couldnt be dropped by accident flying in and out of the inclosed areas?

Howzit My Bradda Yup know how you feel bout da bait...Glad we met but sad at da way we did!!! There are many questions and only some answers I have. But thats my hope is to get all the concerns about this as I can and present it to those who make these decisions. And try to get as many ?'s answered as I can. Even though in the end it may or may not matter to them at least I tried. I honestly feel that they cannot guarantee that it cant spill out somehow.

I give you a call tomorrow got home late!

Alohaz,
Bradda Muns
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:37 am

Jusacruzah wrote:You put poison here, I breed over there and move back in when your poison is gone! Do these people really get educated first or just sit in class and collect the paper at the end? I almost graduated high school once and even I know you would have to cover the whole island for this to be effective!
Aerial Rat Baiting Fail

Exactly My Bradda!!! They do it to control rats during the breeding seasons of birds like the endangered Oahu Elepai'o and to lessen the negative impacts that rats have on the native flora and fauna (Plants and Animals). That is exactly what they did they aerial dropped bait on 2 islets one off Molokai and one off of Niihau to eradicate rats from these 2 small islets. BUt its just a matter of time before they find thier way over there again. Monitoring is the key there! As you can imagine it of course fell into the sea but they (Those who did it) say that testing of fish etc after the drops of bait showed no negative impacts. MmmmmHmmmmm scratch

You know what they said about DDT too but look now.....BIGTIME!!!!! Will history only repeat itself? in the Famous Words of Bob Marley "Time Will Tell"
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:53 am

trackandgrab wrote:Wassup Munsta, Howzit HawaiianI cannot stand rats and wish they could all be exterminated.
However, with what limited information I have on the matter, this "poison drop" sounds irrisponsible I Agree and I have some questions:
1. Is it possible that sometimes they going miss the target and get some outside the fence? Yes, Definitely Possible
2. What about the pueo (Hawaiian Owl). Will they die if the eat a rat that has ingested the poison? Good Question, I believe they could die im not sure if these was one of the animals they tested for...Good Question!
3. Will our dogs die if they bite a hog that has ingested the poison? I dont know, Have this ? myself.
4. Will we die if we eat the meat from a hog that has ingested the poison? The active ingredient is actually used in Humans I believe its all about the intake etc.
5. What if it gets in the streams? Have this ? too.
6. Can it be transferred into the fruits through the root system and we get poisoned when we eat mountain apple or whatever? Not Sure, Will Ask.
7. If the rat eat the poison in the fenced area, can't it go outside the fence, die and then be food for animals outside the fence (like one of my dogs) and kill my dog? Definitely, What they are saying to this is that it'll be too small of a dose to kill a dog. But I still dont like the fact that its a possibility.
8. Would trapping work? This will be done in concert with a huge amount of traps that have been setup in grids throughout the exclosure.
I know we cannot get 'um all. However, I heard that there used to be a bounty on rats and the government or somebody would pay $ for every rat tail you turned in. If it were possible to reimpliment this I think it might be fun to get couple Rat Terriers or Jack Russels, go hunt rats, cut off their tails and turn them in for some $. Dat would be Cherry pellets and BB's be flyin off da shelf's Laughing Laughing
Kden Hawaiian...........Take Care Hawaiian...Aloha
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:55 am

Mahalo All for your replies and questions I will be sure to pass them along as I have alot of the same questions and concerns an den some. But I wll keep you updated best I possibly can.

Alohaz

Bradda Muns
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBoarKVH Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:57 am

Awesome topic braddah muns. Very informative and eye opening.
BigBoarKVH
BigBoarKVH
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  CAVE CANEM Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:17 am

You mention trapping will also be used, If they are setting traps couldn't they just set up some kind of canister like they did to the trees here a few years back? (White pvc strapped to the trees) I remember growing up seeing these and the uncles saying that they were for the rats, I guess they never work? Is throwing it on the ground better?
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:22 pm

BigBoarKVH wrote:Awesome topic braddah muns. Very informative and eye opening.

Mahalo my bradda tell bradda Chris I said Wassup...Alohaz
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:36 pm

Jusacruzah wrote:You mention trapping will also be used, If they are setting traps couldn't they just set up some kind of canister like they did to the trees here a few years back? (White pvc strapped to the trees) I remember growing up seeing these and the uncles saying that they were for the rats, I guess they never work? Is throwing it on the ground better?

Howzit my bradda yeah they use "Bait Stations" at the moment along with trapping. Aerial distribution would just be a lazy way of doing it. But my issue is " At what cost" ???

This also is statewide not just our program so if you think it doesn't affect you then you're wrong. It was done on the big island and the isles that I mentioned in a previous post.

Mahalo my bradda keep um comin'

Aloha!!!
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Nic Barca Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:02 am

Howzit koa boa, I couldn't help but chime in.

New Zealand does a lot of aerial dropping of poison (10-80) laces carrots to control forest pests (plus possums, stoats, 15% of deer, pigs) . And try as they might, small ammounts inevitably ends up in the water, either by pilots who don't care, aren't skilled enough to avoid, or small streams were not mapped for them to avoid. The issue is easily used by those opposed to the practice. Another interesting thing: the poison has been known to kill kiwi, a flightless native bird, and the icon of what they are trying to save. The justification is that more kiwi survive because of the improved habitat and reduction of predators, than die from the poison. This is also debated by those opposed, but definetly something to think about. Collateral damage.

It's a controversial issue in NZ with lots of people up in arms against it. Not sure if I'd even want to get into that in Hawaii. But Lord knows the entire conservation community yearns for a way to control the rats (and cats, mongoose, slugs, and mosquitoes for that matter...)

I also like Justacruzas idea of running arround with a rat terriers and a bounty. I wonder how many they could catch and for what cost?

Sorry, I'm coming at this more from a conservationist perspective than from a hunter's. here:
1. What is the minimum distance from the fence that they will drop the poison inside as an effort to minimize the chance of rats dieing outside and possibly poisoning, pigs, dogs, or even people?
2. Will there be warning signs and public announcements so that hunters can avoid the surrounding area with dogs until safe again?
3. I briefly read there is a bait that contains no chemicals, but rather uses a lethal dose of a rat-specific parasite. It's called Prorodent. Do you know if it's been looked into?
Nic Barca
Nic Barca
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.huntfishhawaii.com

Back to top Go down

Aerial Rat Baiting Empty conservationist

Post  trackandgrab Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:50 pm

Nic Barca,
In response to the sentence in your post, Sorry, I'm coming at this more from a conservationist perspective than from a hunter's.
FYI, a hunter is a conservationist.
Aloha

trackandgrab
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.dantonnaone.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:16 pm

Nic Barca wrote:Howzit koa boa, I couldn't help but chime in.

New Zealand does a lot of aerial dropping of poison (10-80) laces carrots to control forest pests (plus possums, stoats, 15% of deer, pigs) . And try as they might, small ammounts inevitably ends up in the water, either by pilots who don't care, aren't skilled enough to avoid, or small streams were not mapped for them to avoid. The issue is easily used by those opposed to the practice. Another interesting thing: the poison has been known to kill kiwi, a flightless native bird, and the icon of what they are trying to save. The justification is that more kiwi survive because of the improved habitat and reduction of predators, than die from the poison. This is also debated by those opposed, but definetly something to think about. Collateral damage. Yeah know all about it we have been working with DOC workers from NZ alot lately especially on the rat issues. That is the base of it all "Collateral Damage" where do we draw the line??? When does the cost outweigh the benefits???

It's a controversial issue in NZ with lots of people up in arms against it. Not sure if I'd even want to get into that in Hawaii. But Lord knows the entire conservation community yearns for a way to control the rats (and cats, mongoose, slugs, and mosquitoes for that matter...)

I also like Justacruzas idea of running arround with a rat terriers and a bounty. I wonder how many they could catch and for what cost?

Sorry, I'm coming at this more from a conservationist perspective than from a hunter's. here: As TrackandGrab already stated Huntaz are the First Conservationist!!!
1. What is the minimum distance from the fence that they will drop the poison inside as an effort to minimize the chance of rats dieing outside and possibly poisoning, pigs, dogs, or even people? From my understanding it is figured out depending on the size of the area and then they figure what the distribution rate is for that area. So what that means is that in theory the whole area will be covered evenly throughout its entirety. Which figures that it would be dropped fairly close to the the fenceline. My biggest concern is that they cannot guarantee containment within said area Suspect Suspect Suspect Or what happens if there are still pigs within said fence? We know that pigs eat this like candy so if the pigs eat up all the bait then what? they die and one whole cycle of baiting has just lost its efficacy on rats because it was eaten by the pigs etc. etc. Most every fenced unit on Oahu borders a public hunting area (Not sure about the other islands but I would assume some are) now what happens if a big rain event occurs after a drop the runoff drains into the streams from the slopes on down the river and out of the fence via the rainwater. Now all this bait ends up in a public hunting area where you guessed it, A Hunter and his dogs go hunting. And theres alot more to consider here but thats just one terrifying example
2. Will there be warning signs and public announcements so that hunters can avoid the surrounding area with dogs until safe again? Yes, this is an absolutely needed protocol and as far as ive been informed it is definately gonna happen. But to what extent is uncertain, you know how these people like to put this kinda thing in the back page in the no-look section in the smallest ad size possible. The thing is they dont even know themselves how long is needed for an area to be "SAFE" again. In my opinion there really needs to be alot more studies done before this is done in such a wide and large scale.
3. I briefly read there is a bait that contains no chemicals, but rather uses a lethal dose of a rat-specific parasite. It's called Prorodent. Do you know if it's been looked into? I know that there are currently 3 chemicals being considered I only know 2 at the moment and hoping to get info on the third soon. The two that I know of is Diphacinone and Brodifacoum I will post the third when I have the info.
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Nic Barca Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:52 am

Sounds like they're opening a can of worms.

When does the cost outweight the benefits?
I think you'll find as many answers to that as there are people.

I was thinking too about how people are doing it the "lazy way". Fact is, protecting native plants and animals is a desperate situation and people are trying to be as efficient as possible giving up on most areas and pouring their limited resources into preserving a few.

My attitude to it all these days is if you think you are doing a good thing, just keep doing what you're doing. ...unless I disagree too Very Happy

Last edited by Nic Barca on Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Nic Barca
Nic Barca
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Nic Barca Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:55 am

Koa Boa wrote:In my opinion there really needs to be alot more studies done before this is done in such a wide and large scale
I agree 100%.
Nic Barca
Nic Barca
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  kumu Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:22 am

Poison is poison no matter which way you put it! Just think, your best tracker happens to go eat the role or "loaf" that has been laced with the dope and POW!!! It happened to us couple times when I was a kid and used to hunt with pupule Martin and Charlie Do. NO LIKE ME THAT STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In The Struggle Together,
KUMU

kumu
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  BLUE MOUNTAIN TRAILA Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:03 pm

I AGREE AND SUPPORT YOUR GUYS MANA'O ON THIS MATTER 100%.KEEP US UP IF ANYTHING ELSE COMES UP ON THIS.CALL ME UP IF NEED HELP ON OURSIDE 673-9127.WOULDNT MIND FINDING OUT MORE INFO. ON THIS MATTER.MAHALO MAY BRADAH GOODLUCK OUT THERE AND IN THEM HILLS AND VALLEYS.
PEACE OVA & OUT MY BRADAHS. scratch
BLUE MOUNTAIN TRAILA
BLUE MOUNTAIN TRAILA
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:10 am

Nic Barca wrote:Sounds like they're opening a can of worms. I Agree 100%

When does the cost outweight the benefits?

I think you'll find as many answers to that as there are people. I also Agree if it only pertains to animals being affected BUT when they are considering using poisons that are harmful to humans as well and have a slow "Half-Life" than thats where the BS ends.

I was thinking too about how people are doing it the "lazy way". Fact is, protecting native plants and animals is a desperate situation and people are trying to be as efficient as possible giving up on most areas and pouring their limited resources into preserving a few. I understand where youre coming from with this I hear it everyday. But sacrificing human safety to be efficient about saving a plant,snail or bird is NEGATIVE!!! Again just my personal view

My attitude to it all these days is if you think you are doing a good thing, just keep doing what you're doing. ...unless I disagree too Very Happy
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:24 am

kumu wrote: Poison is poison no matter which way you put it! Just think, your best tracker happens to go eat the role or "loaf" that has been laced with the dope and POW!!! It happened to us couple times when I was a kid and used to hunt with pupule Martin and Charlie Do. NO LIKE ME THAT STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KUMU

Rajah Dat my Bradda! Ho my Bradda Pupule Martin neva hear dat name longtime Very Happy used to hunt with his nephews when I was a little kid Very Happy

Alohaz!
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:26 am

stanton4life wrote:I AGREE AND SUPPORT YOUR GUYS MANA'O ON THIS MATTER 100%.KEEP US UP IF ANYTHING ELSE COMES UP ON THIS.CALL ME UP IF NEED HELP ON OURSIDE 673-9127.WOULDNT MIND FINDING OUT MORE INFO. ON THIS MATTER.MAHALO MAY BRADAH GOODLUCK OUT THERE AND IN THEM HILLS AND VALLEYS.
PEACE OVA & OUT MY BRADAHS. scratch

Right On my Bradda Mahalo for the help will definitely give you a call if anything pops up on your end.

Alohaz!
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  kumu Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:18 am

Yes my braddah, Pupule Martin, heck of one hunta, pilau like hell to the dogs, but probably had the best set of dogs I've seen. When you used to hunt with his nephews is roughly around the time I used to hunt with ole man Sam Po from Hauula inside Kualoa Ranch with only one purebred bull. Somewhere around 30 years ago? Gentlemen like those guys are a far cry from those that hunt today! One word for them - BAD ASS!!!!!!!!!

KUMU

kumu
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next