Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Archery Lanai Axis

+3
UpFront
Koa Boa
Babooze
7 posters

Go down

Archery Lanai Axis Empty Archery Lanai Axis

Post  Babooze Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:28 pm

Any body connect? If so what did you do different from rifle? I decided to go archery this year and really put my stalking "skills" to the test.

Babooze
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://hawaiioutdoorsman.freeforums.org/index.php

Back to top Go down

Archery Lanai Axis Empty Re: Archery Lanai Axis

Post  Koa Boa Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:33 am

Eh Howzit Babooze,

How did you make out???

Have lots of good fun memories doing Lanai Axis archery hunts Laughing Laughing Laughing Never did get a deer though only Mouflon and Pig came close a couple of times but no cigar Very Happy
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Babooze Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:18 am

Howzit Munsta! I not going till February. I usually go rifle but I decided to go archery this year. I was just wondering you successful the archery season is and what techniques people used.

Babooze
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:35 am

Oh, ok I see I thought that you went the pay hunt side sorry! Used to have some DONKEYS running around out there still get in fact.

Yeah its lame now, before you could still hunt muzzleload or high-power even though you hunted archery now you can only hunt one season.
Yeah we had good fun on the state hunts too though...Anyways goodluck on your hunt when it happens...Aloha!
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  UpFront Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:48 pm

Yeah, that sucks, no second chance if you neva get archery. Still yet I would like to go archery this year.
UpFront
UpFront
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  honu ea Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:58 pm

this year doing rifle. next year hope to get partner for hunt with. all the guy i know go rifle. next year, broadhead and bow
honu ea
honu ea
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  ROOKIE Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:06 pm

[quote="Koa Boa"]Eh Howzit Babooze,

Never did get a deer though only Mouflon and Pig came close a couple of times but no cigar

Is it true that Lanai get pig? All the times I went for deer I never came across any diggings or anything...now that I come to think of it, the topic never came up between me and my hunting party. Is there a lot?

ROOKIE
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  Misadventure Gear Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:16 am

Last March I took my son to Lanai during spring break. We camped on the beach, and bowhunted and fished for 8 days. Going back again this spring if I get another nice tax refund. Very Happy You can buy a private land archery permit for $50 from Gary at the Lanai Co. game management office. The permit is good for 1 year (expires on June 30, just like your hunting lic.) and you can hunt 4 axis or mouflon, either sex. The areas open are the basin above Manele Bay, a strip of land to the right of the road to Shipwrecks, near the commercial harbor, and around the golf course. They can give you maps showing hunting areas when you get your permit.

We did spot-n-stalk when we went, but I suppose you could bring a treestand. On the last day, 3 hours before I had to return the rental car and get to the ferry, I hit a nice buck. He ran into the brush and I waited a bit before following. I wanted to wait longer, but was worried about returning the rental car on time. To make a long story short, I bumped that buck, and he ran off, never to be found.....I was so heartbroken.....But I learned the importance of giving em plenty time before following up on the shot...
Misadventure Gear
Misadventure Gear
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.misadventuregear.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:16 am

Eh Howzit Rookie sorry I confused you, NO, Lanai no longer has any wild hogs on the island. I was just saying that I only shot Mouflon and Pig with Bow. The Mouflon was on Lanai and the pig here on Oahu. Sorry again for the confusion!!!

MauiRhino, Thats the hunt I thought Babooze was talking bout. Thats the one we used to go on man it was soooooooooo much fun, I mean laugh so hard you think you going die of lack of oxygen. I miss those times alot I wish I never shattered my elbow I bet i'd still be doing it alot like before.
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Babooze Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:07 pm

Thanks for the replies guys! I know what you mean about only going on one hunt now, but like Koa and MauiRhino was talking about always get the pay side if this no work out. LOL

Babooze
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Misadventure Gear Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:27 pm

The nice thing about the private land archery tag is it is good year-round with no bag limit and either deer or mouflon. You could bring your bow to hunt with after you do a Saturday rifle hunt, if you wanted. Or work your trip around your own schedule and not the state draws.....and $50 is way cheaper than paying for the guided hunt. Very Happy

And yes, Koa Boa.....that hunt...well...any hunt is SOOOOOOO much fun!!!! Sorry about your elbow.....I hope you still find ways to get out and play.
Misadventure Gear
Misadventure Gear
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  ROOKIE Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:06 pm

Ah, thanks for the reply Koa, maybe I read it wrong...Before reading that I coulda swore never have pig on Lanai. But there's always a first and I was thinking you knew something I didn't. Thanks for the clear up

ROOKIE
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:58 pm

Yup MauiRhino we did exactly what youre talking about. It is so cheap @ $50
and because we used to hunt Lanai quite a few times every year we just worked it into our schedule to spend a few days
hunting archery. And yes...you are totally right...every hunt is FUN,FUN,FUN!!! Although ive been on some hunts where ive
qquestioned myself and my sanity...but alas, those hunts are now the topics of some HILARIOUS stories!!!

Rookie, I do believe that Lanai at one time did have a population of wild pigs but they were eradicated awhile ago along with the goats
but I know that a few years ago some goats got loose and got out into the hunting area and hunters were asked to shoot on sight.
We did meet up with a couple residents that had a good catch of goats in their truck couple years ago.

Aloha!!!
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  808-phreak Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:44 am

How many guys ended up sending the app. out? and how many guys got permits? I was in the mainland hunting and missed the app. deadline so no Lanai for me, at least for now. Is the 50$ hunting permit still availible? would love to hunt some deer here at home in the warmth. To the guys who wiil be slinging arrows at some axis in Feb good luck.

808-phreak
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  UpFront Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:18 am

I'm gonna try to go early Feb. & do the $50.00 deal. I'm gonna put it together with the guys I'm hunting with in Kona this weekend.
UpFront
UpFront
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  808-phreak Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:46 am

where can i find more info about the permit?

808-phreak
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  Misadventure Gear Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:44 pm

You can buy the permit from Gary at the Castle & Cook Game Management Office....808-565-3981 Make sure you call first, because he isn't always in his office. He also manages the guided pay hunts. I'm looking at taking my son at the end of March when he is on spring break......
Misadventure Gear
Misadventure Gear
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  808-phreak Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:31 am

sweet!!! thanks for all the help.

808-phreak
Piglet
Piglet