Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Basic Questions about Hawaii/Kauai in General

3 posters

Go down

Basic Questions about Hawaii/Kauai in General Empty Basic Questions about Hawaii/Kauai in General

Post  ajb05854 Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:49 pm

I might be moving to Kauai soon. I hope it works out, because I'm excited. I had some basic questions about what to bring with me. For a little background, I've done outside biology type jobs all over the western US. I've got a pile of backpacking equipment and am trying to figure out what to pack. Most of my hunting gear is aimed towards whitetails, mule deer, elk, antelope, and turkeys. The temperature range I've been out hunting ranges from -20 to 100 F. I think some of what I have will work alright. I've been doing a lot of research, but still have a bunch of questions.

What is the coolest it can get on any of the islands on public land? I know it can snow on top of Mona Loa. The "warmest" shell I was planning on bringing would be a Sitka 90% jacket. Is that too warm?

On Kauai, is their a place to store my guns for a few months? I'm aware of the registration rules. I'd probably be moving in with a random roommate who I wouldn't know, so I just don't want to take firearms into an unknown situation. In the past, I've had good luck giving them to police departments. I'm planning on calling the police on Monday.

How much glassing is done and at what distances? I have some nice glass my Dad would love for me to leave if it wouldn't be very useful. I'm trying to minimize the amount of things I have to ship.

How hard is it to find muzzleloading supplies on Kauai? From what I've found there isn't a store that stocks anything.

Thanks!

ajb05854
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Basic Questions about Hawaii/Kauai in General Empty Re: Basic Questions about Hawaii/Kauai in General

Post  Nic Barca Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:05 am

Even if it's raining, you'll probably find it warm. Air temps pretty much stay between 75 and 90 degrees. Cold fronts can be a little colder and it gets colder the higher altitude you go. On kauai, the Alakai (Unit E) is the coldest it can get, being at 4000 feet. I would imagine it can dip into the 50s on a rainy day, maybe into the 40s on a real cold day. Usually it will be in the mid 70s. Makaleha mountains is the only other potentially cold place and you need to be in awesome shape to access it. Similar to the Alakai but a few degrees warmer. For the most part, be prepared for 75 to 85 degrees and rain. Keep in mind though that a day walkign wet can give you some bad rash. A 0 degree sleeping bag is good for the coldest areas but everywhere else, you can get away with a small fleece blanket probably rated for 50 or 60 degrees.

Can't help you with the storage although there are storage units on island.

How much glassing really depends on where you are. I find that most forests don't allow much of any glassing. They are too dense. All the north and east side forests are like that, with the exception of Makaleha and Moloa'a mountains which you can see across valleys several hundreds of yards. The west side allows more glassing in the Waimea canyon and Unit A areas but a pair of small to medium size binos is all you need to see 100 to 300 yards across valleys. Those areas are dryer and more open terrain. The goats really open things up. I wouldn't know about H, haven't spent much time there. A 30-30, shotgun, 44mag, or other short range gun works well for the wet forests and most shots will be under 20 yards. For other areas, a scoped high powered rifle and binos comes in handy.

For muzzleloading supplies, all I know of is Waipouli Valiety in Kapa'a and Jeffrey Bryant at the lihue pet store. Not sure if waipouli variety has muzzleloading gear. And oh yeah, there is an obscure store by the Kapa'a ballpark which might have muzzleloading gear. Good luck!
Nic Barca
Nic Barca
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.huntfishhawaii.com

Back to top Go down

Basic Questions about Hawaii/Kauai in General Empty Re: Basic Questions about Hawaii/Kauai in General

Post  Kauai808 Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:41 pm

Nic comes through. I always wanted to go to the store by the ballpark but its always closed. They got some good stuff in there? Archery?
Kauai808
Kauai808
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down