Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eric we will all miss you

+15
kkeonicampbell
Kauai Boy
Turkey Joe
Ambusher
Lyle B
Koa Boa
AK Andy
Babooze
HYPA
UpFront
HOG WILD
evan
Vidinha
KANUHA BROTHERS
bgwvrdr
19 posters

Go down

Eric we will all miss you Empty Eric we will all miss you

Post  bgwvrdr Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:51 pm

We will all mis you Eric. This is a very sad day. I have been informed that Eric Sawchuck the owner of this web site and producer of Hawaii Sportsman TV passed away yestarday 2/1/09 while goat hunting in Makua Valley area.

Please pray for his family and take a moment to reflect on all that Eric has done for the hunting community in Hawaii. He left behind two beautiful children and a wonderful wife.

He really opened my eyes to pig hunting and especialy bow hunting. He was my bow huniting mentor. He was always nice to everyone and showed aloha to all. He would offer help to anyone that needed it, and wouldnt ask anything in return. He was my friend and my companion in the field. I will miss him and always cherish our time together.

Eric was a perfevct example of the Phrase "Pass it forward." He would always give before ever expecting to get something back in return. I hope we all can learn from him and keep his energy moving through the hunting community.

Eric, I look forward to seeing you on the other side, Bow in hand, still doing what you did best, Hunting and teaching.

I will miss you.

Sincerely,
Ralph Gray

bgwvrdr
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Eric we will all miss you Empty Re: Eric we will all miss you

Post  KANUHA BROTHERS Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:05 pm

I ALSO WILL MISS U ERIC, AND I ALSO WILL
SEE U ON THE OTHER SIDE WITH BOW IN HAND READY TO HUNT.

BLUFIN STAND STRONG BUDDY, WE ARE HERE FOR U!

DEAN KANUHA , WILD HOG MANAGEMENT
KANUHA BROTHERS
KANUHA BROTHERS
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Vidinha Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:21 pm

I will also miss you Eric, You were and always will be a good friend to me. I'll see you again my brother.
Bluefin: Hang in there brother. If you need anything, let us know, you got alot of guys here for you, including me.
Vidinha
Vidinha
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.cory-vidinha.magix.net

Back to top Go down

Post  evan Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:10 pm

Im sorry to hear it was Eric who fell off that cliff. I never met him but we had traded knowledge over email a few times. He seemed like a nice guy that was willing to share what he knew with others. I mourn for his family and friends.

Evan
evan
evan
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Eric we will all miss you Empty Re: ERIC WE WILL MISS YOU

Post  HOG WILD Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:21 am

I had not gotting to get a great oppurtunity to meet Eric,but was able to use a great web sight that he created .I was going to be able to meet him in March when He and Andy a freind from Alaska were to come and hunt down the Napali.He will not be with Andy Physically,but he wiil be there spiritually when Andy hunts the Napali.May GOD BLESS the Sawchuck Family.

Aloha & GOD Bless,Robert C.

PS: Some day I'll meet him in Heaven!

HOG WILD
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  UpFront Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:09 am

Aloha Eric, thank you for all you have done. your memory will live on with all of us in our hunts. Rest in peace Brother. My thoughts and prayers go out to the Sawchuck Ohana.
UpFront
UpFront
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Eric we will all miss you Empty ERIC MAY GOD BE BRINGING YOU INTO HIS HOME

Post  HYPA Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:44 am

Eric i would like to thank you for taking the blunt of all the acusations i had when we were filiming ,you were a good guy and loved the sport of hunting may the lord be with you on your final hunt brother. We will allways remember the big island and the stained jeep hood!!

To the Sawchuck family,

May god be with you in this time of sorrow.There is no sorrow deeper than a loss of a loved one, We here are because eric wanted us to have a place to talk and share so WE as A hunting FAMILY. are here, and if there is anything that you need to help you get through this please dont hesitate to ask

With upmost sincerity,

The burner family and all the families of the board

Hunter's Prayer

A hunter's life is filled with chases
Hidden places and endless graces.
The morning dew that shines anew
And the evening sun when the hunting's done.

Precious gifts for a hunter's heart
Special moments before they depart
A hunter's time, they call their own
Until the day they're all called home.

At heaven's gates where the trails all end
A hunter's heart is renewed again
The world above is like the world before
With all god's creatures they adored.

A hunter's gift for those who know
Is heaven's glory before they go
A hunter's heart knows no end
Because another hunt begins again.

Last edited by HYPA on Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
HYPA
HYPA
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Babooze Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:53 am

Aloha Eric! What makes me sad is that I never thought to thank you for what you have done for the Hunting Community while you were with us. You have done ALOT my Brother, more than most of us put together. God Bless and may you rest in peace in the Happy Hunting Land.

Babooze
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://hawaiioutdoorsman.freeforums.org/index.php

Back to top Go down

Eric we will all miss you Empty Eric We Will Miss You,

Post  AK Andy Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:09 am

My dear friend Eric, you are the best hunting partner I never got to hunt with, I cherish all the discussions we ever had, the copies of hunting video you gave me freely are dear to me, I was looking forward to so many good times with you, making your acquaintance was like a dream come true for me, I am at such a loss, I know there must be boars bigger than Stickers and Switchblade in heaven, save some for me and I will be there someday to hunt for them with you, we will get our chance to compare notes and learn from each other in the happy hunting grounds in the sky, My heart is filled with an emptiness without you in my life, I will try to get that big billy for you, the one you sent me a picture of. You will be with me in spirit when I roast some fresh goat loin over our campfire next month on Na Pali, you will be with me on every step of hiking that long trail, you will be in camp with me and also we will test out our goat calling theories together. You will be with me when I shoot my first pig with a bow and you will be with me when I hunt bears and turkeys next spring. For the short time we interacted on this earth I am grateful to have known you, your positive energy influenced me more than words can say. In so many ways your Aloha spirit brightened my days bro. I know that because you had such an ability to touch my life in such a profound way for as little time that I was able to know you, theat my heart goes out to all of your friends and family with my utmost sincere condolences for their greater sense of loss. I cannot write this and touch a hint of the sorrow I feel and the sympathy I have for all those affected. Eric, I know you are still with us all and you have my biggest Mahalo from my distant island to yours.

Dear Eric's Friends, amidst my sense of loss at this moment of near overwhelming grief, I think of how Eric spoke highly of you guys. I do not know Turkey Joe, Lionel, or Ralph, but having heard about you and having also watched you all over and over in hunting video I feel like I do, I looked forward to possibly crossing paths someday. The videos I have of you guys are a testament of your deep friendship and kinship with Eric. They prove to me the connection we all have as a brotherhood of hunters and outdoorsmen. Eric was way up at the top of the list in my book, the real deal. His enthusiasm no doubt enlightened all of our days beyond this feeble attempt at trying to describe it in writing. I think it is not all about the ones we catch, but rather the big fish (or the big critter) that got away is always the one I remember and respect the most. To me, Eric was that big one that got away. I will always honor his memory and feel lucky to have enjoyed such a great experience of having been able to interact with him.
Please contact me if anyone wants or needs to talk. I wish I had your contact info, I'd call each of you to offer my support if I did.
Sincerely, Andy McLaughlin- AK Andy
mclaughlinandy@yahoo.com 907-573-5092
AK Andy
AK Andy
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Eric we will all miss you Empty ALOHA BRADDA ERIC!!!

Post  Koa Boa Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:23 am

Aloha Bradda Eric although I know you will never physically read this I am still compelled to write it. I am glad I got to meet you numerous times some planned and some not. But what never changed about you was your passion and enthusiam of the hunt. MAHALO MUCH for creating this board so that we hunter's could come and share, talk story, vent etc. and also for the video's and footage you provided for our enjoyment even if it was at your expense at times. I Had alot of fun doing those interviews with you those were some pretty hilarious times. I am at a loss for words after hearing that it was you that fell and passed away while hunting goats at Makua-Keaau. This comes as such a shock after just talking to you recently. Although I do find little comfort in knowing that you passed doing what you loved it was way too soon.

THANK YOU for all that youve done for the sport of hunting and also for the lives that you impacted through it as well. ALOHA MY FRIEND AND FAREWELL!!!!!

MAY THE SUN BE ALWAYS AT YOUR BACK AND THE WIND ALWAYS IN YOUR FACE.....HUNT ON MY BRADDA, HUNT ON!!!

To the Sawchuck Ohana,
My deepest sympathy and condolences to you as you go through this very difficult time. May the Lord comfort you and bring you peace in your time of need. My sincerest prayers go out to you!

If there is anything that we can do to ease the grief and sorrow PLEASE do not hesitate to ask!!!!!

Bradda Muns and Ohana
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Eric we will all miss you Empty Eric

Post  Lyle B Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:15 pm

My condolence and prayers goes out to the Sawchuck Ohana, Eric may you rest in peace brother, you have touch the lives of so many through your passion on hunting. Blufin the boys got your back, stay strong my braddah. When my time comes, I to will see you on the other side with my bow.

Aloha, Lyle

Lyle B
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Eric we will all miss you Empty Aloha my Brother

Post  Ambusher Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:44 pm

I am a blessed with the memory of having the HONOR to film Eric, hunting for stickers late last year. We met online and made an emmediate lifelong friendship. He was a true hunter in every sense of the word, with ETHICS, MORALS AND VALUES we should all look up to. His impact on hunting in the state was and always will be HUGE. We must HONOR this man and help his family any way we can. Eric created all this simply because he loved hunting and wanted to share that to unite us all. For that I am grateful. We must've talked for months on the phone before I got to meet him briefly in Oahu and break bread with him and his son. It was if I already knew him, a truly great, man, father, husband and hunter. The saddest part of this story for me is that I was flying back home to meet Eric that morning, to pick up a new HD camera he was holding for me that I purchased from one of our mutual hunting clients, while I had a layover in Oahu. I texted , nothing. I called , nothing. No big deal, I hoped he was hunting. I feel so cheated not getting to see my friend one last time. Eric inspired me to document my hunts and now I feel lost. I'll miss coming home from hunting and calling him and sharing 'tales from the hunt". The Mojo Boar is a true example of how hard this man worked to pursue his passion and how he put his pride aside to share with us all the struggles we all face hunting, NO SHAME. I know he'll be there to wecome us all in the happy hunting grounds and point out the best spots. To You my friend Eric, I say ALOHA, and happy hunting.
Ambusher
Ambusher
Piglet
Piglet

http://bowhuntinghawaii.com/

Back to top Go down

Eric we will all miss you Empty Aloha Eric-we're all gonna miss you

Post  Turkey Joe Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:43 am

I, like everyone else, was stunned when I received this tragic news. The entire hunting ohana of Hawaii is diminished by this catastrophe. I hunted and filmed (mostly filmed) with Eric for three years. He was generous with his time and knowledge about hunting his favorite quarry, big boars. When we first met, he told me that he could count on one hand, the times he went hunting and didn't at least see at least one pig. I figured he was boasting. How wrong I was! He had a "pig" sense (my term, not his) of a sort. He just seemed to know with eerie accuracy when they'd move and where they'd come from. One second he'd be telling about the Bills latest game only to cut himself off with "...pigs, pigs, right there. Right where I said they'd come from"

He was keen on sharing the hunting experience with so many. That was one of his best qualities. (remember the show with his younger brother?) One irony is that some of the funnest hunts I had with Eric ended up with neither of us taking a shot. So many fond memories of packing stuff in, dragging it out, falling down, and sitting on stand weren't caught on tape. I wish they were now.

His passion and drive were contagious, which always made for good conversations about so many things, hunting and non-hunting subjects. We all know him as a hunter, but more fishing and wild game cooking were discussed for future episodes. His work at Queen's made him into a fantastic negotiator and people problem solver. He had so many interests and ideas for promoting outdoor sports in Hawaii that it was hard to keep up.

So many plans with so many friends cut short. Auwe! I consider myself extremely lucky to have had such a unique sportsman as a friend.

My deepest sympathies go out to Teresa, Kino, Jessica and his entire family. All of the Sawchuk's are in my prayers. My loss pales in comparison to theirs.

Rather than dwell on the what ifs and whys of last Sunday, I share with you this short anecdote. We were on the freeway, and passed a car with one of those "Eddie Would Go" bumper stickers. Then out of the blue Eric said "I want one to promote the show with ERIC WOULD HUNT on it." Those of use who knew and loved Eric, knew that he was true to his word in that regard. Eric did hunt.

Hunt on my friend. Hunt on. You will be missed. You will always be The HawaiiSportsman!
"Turkey" Joe

Last edited by Turkey Joe on Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:00 am; edited 2 times in total
Turkey Joe
Turkey Joe
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Kauai Boy Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:07 am

My prayers go out to the family.
Kauai Boy
Kauai Boy
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Eric we will all miss you Empty The lost of a very good person and friend

Post  kkeonicampbell Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:21 am

Eric was a person and hunter I looked up to, Because he always had good things to say, and had a lot of great ideas and tricks. His passion for hunting made me want to hunt more and more. Eric loved to share hunting experiences with anyone with no hesitation. I enjoyed all the times I've share with him at his house while he'd teach me the best way cut a pig, or teaching the best way set up stands, or what to look for, all kinds of things, endless things that he's helped me with so much to list. His lost will forever be in my heart, the family needs our help so what ever we can do I'm sure would be greatly appreciated. "Is there any one that can keep the show and web site going", because I enjoy reading watching Hawaii Sportsman. I'd sure love to see the hawaii sportsman legacy go on.

I've shared my feelings and thoughts with the family, and I'd like to share it again.
My deepest sympoty goes to teresa,keno and jessica and entire family you've touch my heart by being such wonderful individuals.

The family is trying to be strong in such hard times.
If interested in helping or any other ideas please call me keoni at 808-393-8967

kkeonicampbell
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Eric we will all miss you Empty dang

Post  Buddylee Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:51 pm

I never met Eric and only spoke with him a few times over the phone but he was super nice. He helped me go hunting on my honeymoon there in October and that was a dream of mine for years. I hope it doesn't sound bad but when we loose a good hog dog while hunting we say atleast he died doing what he loved. Thanks for all your help. Lee

Buddylee
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikestr Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:35 pm

This is a quote from a pilot magazine: To Fly West, my friend, is a flight we all must take for a final check.

We are always being tested either by others or ourselves. Everything we do in life is a constant battle within ourselves to be better at what we enjoy and do, to be the best as we can be.

Eric, your lifes passion, family, friends, and hunting represents that person as I discribed. Your ability to constantly better yourself and more importantly others will forever remain in my mind and heart. The knowledge you've shared through your videos and website will always be a constant reminder of what it means to be a great hunter.

My warmest thank you and aloha.

To the Sawchuck family,

My words cannot discribe what you must feeling, but through our posts may you realize the person that Eric was and how he will be missed. My sincerest condolences.

Isaac
Ikestr
Ikestr
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  timmy96815 Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:00 am

Eric,
Thanks for being a part of my life however small it was. After reading through this post, I got to know Eric a little better. Even though we never met in person, I will remember you always, especially during the hunt. Peace out man.
My condolences to Eric’s family.

Jeff

Last edited by timmy96815 on Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
timmy96815
timmy96815
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  EricMathewson Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:40 am

Just had to get on and post a note to all of Eric's friends and family. (I am Eric's friend that came in from Ohio.) I have received numerous phone calls from friends and aquaintances of Eric's back in Toledo sharing regrets and sympathies for what has happened, but just about all have also shared something about his passion or his humor. Whether it was music, hunting, work or his family, he always gave his all because that was just him. His excitement and the way he talked about those things he loved "infected" you till you were laughing your butt off and understood where he was coming from...nice to know he never changed. (other than losing his pony tail)

To the friends I met: I could see, feel and hear what Eric meant to so many of you. It was a sad occasion but it made me feel so good to know that he had reached out to so many and I know that you will all be there to help Tia, Kino and Jessie. Good attracts good. The brother hunters, the co-workers and other friends, all of you, were awesome and genuinely good people. Have told all back here that Eric had and has a great bunch of friends and family in Hawaii.

Tia, Kino and Jessie...you will be in my thoughts and prayers, always.
He was a good friend, I will miss him more than I can ever say or write.

EricMathewson
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  timmy96815 Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:17 pm

To: EricMathewson

check your pm mailbox. I'm sending you one
timmy96815
timmy96815
big daddy boar
big daddy boar