Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

House resolution regarding dogs on trails

4 posters

Go down

House resolution regarding dogs on trails Empty House resolution regarding dogs on trails

Post  ollie Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:36 am

The Senate has modified HCR60 and sent it back to the House of Representatives. They changed the language but still want create a working group.
Contact your representative and senator and ask them to not support this resolution in any form.
You can view the new resolution at this link.
http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session2009/bills/HCR60_SD1_.pdf

And you can find your senator and representative at these links.

Senate - http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/site1/info/direct/sendir.asp

House - http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/site1/house/members/members.asp

We need to bring a lot of pressure on these folks. They are getting an earful from hunting opponents so we need to let them know we are out here. The hunting opponents are well organized and have a head start on us. They've been filling the legislators ears with misinformation and lies since they convened in January.

You guys on the outer islands to get involved in this as well. This might be an Oahu problem at the moment but it could spread to your island as well.

This is probably our only chance to act on this. Once they get this going, it's going to be too late for us to try to get back in the game. Don't wait for your buddies to fight this, get involved.

Ollie

ollie
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

House resolution regarding dogs on trails Empty Re: House resolution regarding dogs on trails

Post  HYPA Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:03 am

sent mine in just now hope you all do the same
HYPA
HYPA
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

House resolution regarding dogs on trails Empty pro education, not regulation

Post  Nic Barca Fri May 01, 2009 7:00 am

I'm getting ready to send mine in.

How about a bill to ban non-hunting dogs from hunting areas on open hunting days! HAHA Nah, but seriously, I believe there is a problem, or at least a very real perception of one by our opponents. If we try and stop any change from happening, we are going to loose and they will win.

If you know you have a trouble-making dog, you restrain him to prevent fights, right? We should and most of us do. That's step one in resolving these conflicts. Step two actually involves the hiker themselves. Out of fear and ignorance, their own behavior can act to encourage trouble between pets and hunting dogs.

In this case I am pro education, not regulation. I believe proper signage at hiking trail heads can encourage both sides to prevent incidents. A sign for hunters encouraging them to leash known problem dogs while on Na ala hele trails and also to hikers, similar to (and I laugh at this) bear signage of the mainland. This would install confidence in those owners and give them the guidance they need. ...I don't know, maybe something like

What to do when you encounter hunting dogs while walking your dog:
1. Do not turn and retreat out of fear. Hold your ground firmly.
2. If another dog comes to meet yours, let them sniff each other. This is normal.
3. If tension arises, don't panick, say in a clear sharp voice "NO".
4. Walk dogs at your own risk. Always keep your dogs leashed.
5. It is recomended to walk dogs only during closed-hunting days.

It is totally possibly to sway the working groups into a reasonable solution by admitting there is a problem and supporting fair solutions. But I'm going to jump on the bandwagon to oppose it simply because I'm uncomfortable with the ammount of sway the anti-hunters have had in it so far. Too many nutjobs. But the way to get what you want in this case would probably be to sway the working groups.

Remember, if you are on a public hiking trail; share it, wisely, and with respect.

I probably should have asked this before I put in this long message out, but what do you guys think about the sign idea?
Nic Barca
Nic Barca
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.huntfishhawaii.com

Back to top Go down

House resolution regarding dogs on trails Empty Re: House resolution regarding dogs on trails

Post  Ikestr Wed May 06, 2009 10:29 pm

I like the signage idea and would go on a limb and suggest changing hunting to weekdays rather than weekends for certain areas/sites. It make no sense why firearm, bow, and dog hunting is allowed with hiking activities at the same time.

Flame away
Ikestr
Ikestr
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down