Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alone and need boar hunting guidance - Oahu

5 posters

Go down

Alone and need boar hunting guidance - Oahu Empty Alone and need boar hunting guidance - Oahu

Post  Sanction Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:04 am

Hey guys. I am hoping I can seek some advice here on this forum.

I actually completed the Hawaii hunter ed course with my now-wife a year or two ago; I just have no idea where or even how to start. I basically grew up in Waikiki/Honolulu and I have no friends that share the same interests or desire to hunt; they're all too busy watching Jersey Shore or American Idol. Well, the bug to start hunting has caught me again and once again I find myself pouring over information on the interwebz, trying to find somewhere a complete noob can start; and once again I find my interest waning as I become increasingly overwhelmed with what I find.

So this is where I'm at right now:
I don't have any dogs; I don't have a bow, but buying one does sound like a good investment since there are archery-only seasons (I've never shot one before though); I do own firearms - .22, .223, and .308. I have 2 pistols but neither will fit the requirement of a min 5" barrel for semi-autos. I have the hunter ed cert and ready to get the license any time. I don't think I have any particular 'gear' I think is worth mentioning. I have hiking boots and cargo pants. I am primarily looking at boar, but may be interested in goats and birds if I ever get started.

My only experience hunting is at D&B's playing Big Game Hunter a few years ago.

Is the best way just go out there and hike around first? Anyone willing to take a beginner? Heck, are there paid guides that can teach these stuffs?

Any other advice in starting from scratch?

Anything will be appreciated, thanks guys Very Happy

Sanction
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Alone and need boar hunting guidance - Oahu Empty Re: Alone and need boar hunting guidance - Oahu

Post  CAVE CANEM Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:37 am

Welcome! http://www.theislandarcher.com/Archery_Ranges_Honolulu_HI.html lists a few good places to get your family some experience with archery and hunting on Oahu.
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Alone and need boar hunting guidance - Oahu Empty Re: Alone and need boar hunting guidance - Oahu

Post  Babooze Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:32 am

Hiking (scouting) around never hurts, I do it all the time Very Happy . Do you have a map of the public hunting areas or know where they are? If you wanted to do the archery route Im a certified instructor and could help you with that.

Babooze
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://hawaiioutdoorsman.freeforums.org/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  moosehead Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:19 pm

HOWZIT!PM ME YOUR INFO AND I'LL CALL YOU UP.I HUNT EVERY SUNDAY AND YOUR WELCOME TO TAG ALONG IF YOU WANT.I ONLY HUNT DOG AND KNIFE IF YOUR INTRESTED,BY THE WAY MY NAME IS TED.............ALOHA................
moosehead
moosehead
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Alone and need boar hunting guidance - Oahu Empty ONE TRUE HUNTAH!!!!

Post  BUBBA'S HOG DOG'Z SUPPLY Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:36 am

moosehead wrote:HOWZIT!PM ME YOUR INFO AND I'LL CALL YOU UP.I HUNT EVERY SUNDAY AND YOUR WELCOME TO TAG ALONG IF YOU WANT.I ONLY HUNT DOG AND KNIFE IF YOUR INTRESTED,BY THE WAY MY NAME IS TED.............ALOHA................

ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS "I'M GLAD TO HAVE YOU AS A FRIEND PARTNAH"!!! ALOHA'Z SHELD'Z,
BUBBA'S HOG DOG'Z SUPPLY
BUBBA'S HOG DOG'Z SUPPLY
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://hawaiiboarhunters.ning.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sanction Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:25 am

Wow thank you guys! Got some pm's and replies, awesome! Will definitely get a hold of you guys!

Sanction
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  moosehead Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:28 pm

RIGHT ON SHELDS!YOU KNOW THAT HUNTING IS A WAY OF LIFE AND NOT ALWAYS A COMPETITION!I'M ALWAYS EAGER TO SHOW A NEW PERSON OUR WAY OF LIFE SO THEY CAN UNDERSTAND WHAT WE FACE AS REAL HUNTERS.YESTERDAY WAS UP AT AIEA LOOP TRAIL SHOWING MY SON THE BABY PIGS AND THIS LADY CAME AND STARTED COMPLAINING ABOUT HUNTERS AND THIER DOGS(PIT BULLS OF COURSE).SHE WAS GOING ON AND ON ABOUT HOW BAD WE WERE AND THIS AND THAT,BUT TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT MY SON AT EIGHT YEARS OF AGE TOLD HER THAT IF SHE DOSN'T KNOW ABOUT HUNTING TO KEEP HER MOUTH SHUT...SHE WAS SHOCKED TO FIND OUT WHO I WAS AND WHO MY DAD WAS AND WE WERE THERE TO FEED THEESE LITTLE PIGS THAT WERE INJURED.AT THE END SHE SAID SORRY FOR STEREO TYPING ALL HUNTERS.SO TO ALL HUNTERS BE NICE AND EXPLAIN THINGS RATHER THAN BLOWING UP CAUSE MOST PEOPLE DON'T REALLY KNOWS WHAT GOES ON IN A HUNTERS LIFE................ALL IN ALL IT WAS A GREAT EXPERIENCE FOR MY SON AND MYSELF TO GO THROUGH,HOPEFULLY MY SON GROWS UP THE SAME WAY I DID WITH RESPECT,HONESTY AND MOST OF ALL HUNTERS ETHICS.......HAVE A GREAT DAY AND ALOHAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ........................................................................TED
moosehead
moosehead
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down