Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big Island - dlnr-seeks-public-comment-on-kau-forest-reserve

+7
HYPA
BUBBA'S HOG DOG'Z SUPPLY
braddah mike
hunters6262
Nic Barca
SaltyMuffinMaker
KVB
11 posters

Go down

Big Island - dlnr-seeks-public-comment-on-kau-forest-reserve Empty Big Island - dlnr-seeks-public-comment-on-kau-forest-reserve

Post  KVB Thu May 24, 2012 8:15 am

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2012/05/23/dlnr-seeks-public-comment-on-kau-forest-reserve-draft-ea/

Mahalo, Joe Griffiths for sharing this.

Will try to get down to post office to send small donation for the lawsuit within the next few days.

benny

KVB
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Big Island - dlnr-seeks-public-comment-on-kau-forest-reserve Empty Re: Big Island - dlnr-seeks-public-comment-on-kau-forest-reserve

Post  SaltyMuffinMaker Thu May 24, 2012 8:40 am

hahahahah..hope someone high up reads this. Classic.

On top of that..open up the deer hunting up there already!
SaltyMuffinMaker
SaltyMuffinMaker
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Big Island - dlnr-seeks-public-comment-on-kau-forest-reserve Empty Re: Big Island - dlnr-seeks-public-comment-on-kau-forest-reserve

Post  KVB Thu May 24, 2012 8:43 am

hey salty, wuz just wondering where you stand on the issue? seriously.

KVB
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  SaltyMuffinMaker Thu May 24, 2012 8:51 am

VBK wrote:hey salty, wuz just wondering where you stand on the issue? seriously.
Hate to see deer on the island but it was inevitable. People wanted it, they brought it and to tell you the truth, the state/dlnr isnt gonna succeed in eradicating it. All their attempts at eradicating anything have failed.
SaltyMuffinMaker
SaltyMuffinMaker
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  KVB Thu May 24, 2012 9:20 am

Just for the record. I don't have anything against deer, hell, they never bothered me. Smile

KVB
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Nic Barca Thu May 24, 2012 9:47 am

I took a look at it. The cultural assessment at the bottom was the best part, getting to see what persons in the community thought. They wanted continued access but not too much access because they didn't want people from outside areas coming in and depleting maile, pigs, wood, etc. A couple even suggested closing certain areas for a year to allow things to come back. Others shared how they believe the pigs were a healthy part of the forest, cultivating it, and wanted to manage for them. It seemed the proposed fence locations didn't bother anyone, being high up and leaving most the forest reserve with animals. One guy suggested they make it in the middle section because it was rugged terrain and not as good of pig hunting. Another thought having it further south would help the Na'alehu water supply. The nature conservancy suggested they raise the fence to from 4000 to 5000 feet altitude (essentually fencing less) because it wouldn't degrade as quickly in the dryer environment. Another person with fencing experience suggested that "by the time they finished it, they would have to start rebuilding it" because of the wet environment of the proposed fence routes. Nobody interviewed seemed to be in opposition but they did mention others might want to "tear it down." All expressed interest in keeping Ka'u Ka'u. They didn't want the character to change and understood the importance of maintaining access, managing harvests of forest products (including pig), protecting watersheds that supply water for agriculture, controlling invasive weeds, and protecting the rich resources that Ka'u is known for.
Nic Barca
Nic Barca
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.huntfishhawaii.com

Back to top Go down

Big Island - dlnr-seeks-public-comment-on-kau-forest-reserve Empty Kau

Post  hunters6262 Thu May 24, 2012 10:55 am

We on the big island are hearing on June 2nd 2012 they are holding a public hearing on this project in kau .A lot of us want to be there for this hearing. Not sure of exact date n time , but when i do I will post it . My past experience with these land grabbers is they promise the world n take it all in the end. They use hunters for the first stage of eradication then when they have game way down ,hunters are Pau. Then they come in , sometimes people from other countries get paid to trap n use there dogs. When that is Pau , they set snares to completely eradicate . Haven't seen total EIS n plans for Kau land to fully know . But so far as to press release they going to take it all . When they say we only have ten % of watershed areas they really mean we have 100 % of forest reserve . Will post as soon as I know .
Joe

hunters6262
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  braddah mike Thu May 24, 2012 5:50 pm

deer and water?sounds like propaganda to me.by us living off the land kills their (business man) profit.
braddah mike
braddah mike
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  BUBBA'S HOG DOG'Z SUPPLY Thu May 24, 2012 7:13 pm

RIGHT YOU ARE BRADDAH MIKE!! I MET A GUY WHO'S WORKING ON THAT JOB AND HE HAD TOLD ME THAT THE JOB PROJECTION TIME FRAME FOR THAT PROJECT IS 10 YEARS MY BRADDAH'Z!! WOOD IS BEING SOLD TO CHINA!!!!

Last edited by BUBBA'S HUNTING SUPPLY on Thu May 24, 2012 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
BUBBA'S HOG DOG'Z SUPPLY
BUBBA'S HOG DOG'Z SUPPLY
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://hawaiiboarhunters.ning.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  BUBBA'S HOG DOG'Z SUPPLY Thu May 24, 2012 7:16 pm

WHO STAND'S TO GAIN FROM THIS FORESTING ON PUBLIC LAND'S?
BUBBA'S HOG DOG'Z SUPPLY
BUBBA'S HOG DOG'Z SUPPLY
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://hawaiiboarhunters.ning.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  HYPA Fri May 25, 2012 3:34 am

The ONLY reason why deer management has failed on Maui and lani is because there are too many rules on the state lottery and private land owners on Maui make it hard for the public to hunt.
Thats the only reason.
Trust me you let hunters do there thing and their won't be deer on any island but the state and private land owners are too worried about the liabilities......but yet they bitch about how devastating the deer are.
What a bunch of bull shit........bottom line.
HYPA
HYPA
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Nic Barca Fri May 25, 2012 7:28 am

HYPA, there are a lot of complications with the Maui deer herd. Like you said, Liability. But also hunting clubs, guide services, density of houses, animal cruelty concerns, golf course water sources, poaching dangerously, crop raiding, cost to agriculture, cost of extending height of watershed fences. It's fine to like hunting deer and not wanting them wiped out, or wanting them in YOUR backyard so you can hunt them and get meat, BUT it's important for all us hunters to understand the other side of the fence (no pun intended).

Farmers and ranchers struggle to make income when deer are raiding their crops overnight. Golf courses loosing money (not that I'm a fan of golf courses). A growing human population will need more water from watersheds. Gardening becoming difficult in your back yard. Forest resources will be affected. Native plants and animals, endangered species, etc. These are issues affecting our economy and people's quality of life in big ways.

-------------------

The fences in Ka'u were proposed for 12,000 acres of the 61,641 acre forest reserve and located in the upper areas in a block. If you look at the maps, on pages 18 - 20 they take up the top half of the forest reserve but some recomendations were to have the fence at even higher altitude where it's dryer so the fence will last longer. It was mentioned that to fence all the way across the top half would be too expensive for DOFAW to do in the next 20 years. But funding could always change...
Nic Barca
Nic Barca
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  dogleader6 Fri May 25, 2012 8:15 pm

Nic Barca wrote:HYPA, there are a lot of complications with the Maui deer herd. Like you said, Liability. But also hunting clubs, guide services, density of houses, animal cruelty concerns, golf course water sources, poaching dangerously, crop raiding, cost to agriculture, cost of extending height of watershed fences. It's fine to like hunting deer and not wanting them wiped out, or wanting them in YOUR backyard so you can hunt them and get meat, BUT it's important for all us hunters to understand the other side of the fence (no pun intended).

Farmers and ranchers struggle to make income when deer are raiding their crops overnight. Golf courses loosing money (not that I'm a fan of golf courses). A growing human population will need more water from watersheds. Gardening becoming difficult in your back yard. Forest resources will be affected. Native plants and animals, endangered species, etc. These are issues affecting our economy and people's quality of life in big ways.

-------------------

The fences in Ka'u were proposed for 12,000 acres of the 61,641 acre forest reserve and located in the upper areas in a block. If you look at the maps, on pages 18 - 20 they take up the top half of the forest reserve but some recomendations were to have the fence at even higher altitude where it's dryer so the fence will last longer. It was mentioned that to fence all the way across the top half would be too expensive for DOFAW to do in the next 20 years. But funding could always change...

I don't know if it's just me but you speak with a fork tongue!!

dogleader6
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  CAVE CANEM Fri May 25, 2012 10:23 pm

Pig, goat, sheep, birds, Deer in the lavas, in the thicks No matter I just like run my dogs! Whichever group that is supporting me and opening up land and giving me access has my support! Here's my thing with all these conservation efforts according to their Enviormental Assesments, In an effort to perpetuate hunting they like fence off land and let hunters clean um out and then no more animals inside, That makes no sense to me but they paid for their degree!

When this fenced in area is now Invasive species free does it reopen, What's the scoops with Kaiholena right now? I know for a fact still get pigs inside while the Nature Conservancy has their own dogs sitting in kennels on the way up! I'm unemployed, I'll move to Ka'u and run it everyday if they genuinely no care about eradicating the animals inside! It's just another land grab, Fencing off 12000 acres for a suitable place to let go a bird that can fly? Release um in Puwaawaa Bird Sanctuary or was this place gonna open this year for hunt pigs? Laughing Release um in Keauhou with the few that already do live in the wild there!

Last edited by Jusacruzah on Fri May 25, 2012 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Nic Barca Fri May 25, 2012 10:53 pm

dogleader6 wrote: I don't know if it's just me but you speak with a fork tongue!!

Yeah, I have to wear a couple hats both hunter and conservationist ...and honestly, it's hard on me.
Nic Barca
Nic Barca
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Sat May 26, 2012 9:56 pm

Nic Barca wrote:
dogleader6 wrote: I don't know if it's just me but you speak with a fork tongue!!

Yeah, I have to wear a couple hats both hunter and conservationist ...and honestly, it's hard on me.

Nic,

Think you got it wrong hunter's are conservationist. In fact they are the first conservationist and if it werent for hunters many things would be extinct. Jus sayin'

Bradda Muns
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Nic Barca Sun May 27, 2012 9:21 pm

Dogleader6, I don’t know what the forked tongue thing means. Maybe you dont understand how I can be for both hunting and conservation environmentalism. Having to deal the middle ground gives me a lot of criticism from the extremists on both sides. The criticism is what’s hard on me and thats what I meant by that. Sort of been avoiding this place ever since that.

Muns, maybe I should start saying "environmentalists" instead of "conservationists" to avoid confusion. Labels are labels. But conservation in Hawaii does often mean eradication. And I do believe hunters in hawaii contribute to conservation/environmentalism when they control pig damage.
Nic Barca
Nic Barca
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Mon May 28, 2012 4:04 am

Nic,

There is no confusion I know what I sed and I know what I meant.

I think the only confusion is you're confused about who I am and what I do for a living.
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Nic Barca Mon May 28, 2012 9:49 pm

Well I never was very good at remembering people. Embarassed
Nic Barca
Nic Barca
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Big Island - dlnr-seeks-public-comment-on-kau-forest-reserve Empty Actual meeting time

Post  R.B. Wed May 30, 2012 5:11 am

Just to settle the rumors... the meeting in Kau starts at 10:30 a.m. and ends at 1 p.m.

R.B.
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  CAVE CANEM Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:10 pm

CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Big Island - dlnr-seeks-public-comment-on-kau-forest-reserve Empty Response

Post  CAVE CANEM Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:56 pm

CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down