Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cut collars ? Help !?!?

5 posters

Go down

Cut collars ? Help !?!? Empty Cut collars ? Help !?!?

Post  BRADDA SHAWN Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:15 am

Who use cut collars !? Good idea or bad ? Does it really hold back our coonz ??? Help me out aloha ..
BRADDA SHAWN
BRADDA SHAWN
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Cut collars ? Help !?!? Empty Re: Cut collars ? Help !?!?

Post  lockaz Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:07 pm

Good to use i run on all my rough dogZ and it save um some timez call bubbas hunting supply s he hook u up
lockaz
lockaz
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  CAVE CANEM Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:13 pm

I use collars on all of my dogs, If not for protection my collars also have my contact info on them should the dog need a ride home. I let my young dogs wear the collars in their kennels or on the runners so they're used to them by the time we hit the bush, It can be akward at first but they get used to moving around in it!

When fitting a cut collar on your dog keep in mind what we are trying to acheive! We're trying to cover the dogs external Jugular vein and trachea from rips! This vein in the neck is "exposed" (cannot say exactly how deep it will be cut but it's not covered by much muscle in this area) from mid Mandibular Body (Mid jaw) to wear it lays over the Sternocephalic muscle and tucks under the Brachiocephalic muscle (About mid throat) so in actuality the collars with the chin protectors are optimal for the job, I don't like them! As far as holding back the dogs I've heard stories of guys swearing a stick gets in between the collar and the dogs neck and the dog isn't able to get loose, I've never had this happen! Other then the original akwardness of having the collar on my dogs get used to them after running around and I haven't seen any hinderance caused.

Cut collars ? Help !?!? Dog_mu10
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  BRADDA SHAWN Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:37 am

Thanks go the help guys !! I just heard a lot of stories that cut collars don't even help , I just thought I better get other huntz perspective ! Mahalo
BRADDA SHAWN
BRADDA SHAWN
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  CAVE CANEM Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:29 pm

I seen in your picture 1 of the dogs was using a firehose collar? I personally like using those due to the fact they can bend a little more when the dog needs to bend its neck.Looks like you're using the liner? Not as flexible but it still does have enough give! I've used both the inside liner and also the outside jacket as collars and haven't had either penetrated so they're definately life saving as a cut collar. Collars are about $20-30, A trip to the vet can cost $1000 but "that 1" dog not making it to the vet has put hunters on the shelf contemplating going on! Good luck with getting your young dogs poundin the hills!
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  BRADDA SHAWN Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:44 am

That's my cousins collars , do you know where I can get that kinda collars ??
BRADDA SHAWN
BRADDA SHAWN
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  CAVE CANEM Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:33 am

I don't have any made right now. If you know where you can get the hose and couple buckles it's pretty simple to put together! Can use the 4'' ratchet straps or make um out of seatbelts sewed together too. I got a few more homemade collar ideas that have been put to the test already, LMK if you interested or need any help making 1 of your own!
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Kauai808 Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:12 am

Do you have a link to the picture? Curious to see what you're talking about. thx.
Kauai808
Kauai808
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Kauai808 Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:13 am

Dis one?

Cut collars ? Help !?!? Image_zps1592944b
Kauai808
Kauai808
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  CAVE CANEM Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:31 am

Yup Kauai those are the fire hose collars! I don't have any pictures of my firehose collars but heres a pic of the collars I made a few years back and still use 2-3 times a week today! Not as pretty today but no pukas! Laughing
Cut collars ? Help !?!? S2010050
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  moosehead Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:17 pm

Cut collars are a small price to pay considering how much a vet bill can cost.cut collars ain't a proven fact that a scrappy boar won't kill your dog,it just slows the process down a little.I've seen dogs die even with cut collars,cut vest and so forth,but what ever helps to protect the dog longer is always a plus.cut collars can even cause the dogs to over heat and have heat strokes.there is a lot of good in it but there is a lot of bad to go with the good so with that being said it's all up to the hunter to decide if he wants to use collars or not use them at all.
Just remember it takes quite a while to make a good dog you will do what ever it takes to keep that dog alive as long as you can..........................ALOHA TED........
moosehead
moosehead
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  CAVE CANEM Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:44 pm

Thank you guys for the interest in my collars! I'd rather not post up exactly how I made those but anyone is more then welcome to come on a hunt and check um out! Laughing As far as how unpenetrable they are? I've shot 1 with a 1000 fps pellet, Stabbed it with a knife and screwdrivers and have been waiting to shoot it with my .22 when I get it to the range! Outer jacket needs some work but haven't had anything penetrate further then that! Boars don't stand a chance at poking thru these collars and they weigh 5 ounces dry, I will create a new jacket for the next few I make and see how much that affects the weight. The thicker material will definately be heavier especially when wetted down, The current jacket holds little to no water!

I don't have any for sale right now guys only because I am not satisfied with the outer layer, I'll let you guys know how the next batch comes out!

CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down