Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Axis Deer on Maui Article

5 posters

Go down

Axis Deer on Maui Article Empty Axis Deer on Maui Article

Post  Misadventure Gear Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:22 am

Advertiser Article

Did you guys see this article? I like how they point out that the deer aren't on the public lands, and landowners don't want to give access. I have been turned down several times when I ask a landowner for permission and it always has to do with his liability and insurance. And I am only talking about doing archery. I follow all the game laws, make sure I hunt safely, ethically, and responsibly, but it doesn' seem to matter to the landowners because other hunters have given all of us a bad name. I sure do hope the state and landowners can come up with a solution. Any thoughts, suggestions, or opinions?
Misadventure Gear
Misadventure Gear
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.misadventuregear.com

Back to top Go down

Axis Deer on Maui Article Empty Re: Axis Deer on Maui Article

Post  UpFront Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:48 am

lol, I saw that article and my first thought was that I needed to pm you. I would think we should see a post on the DOFAW website any day now about opening a special hunt don't you?
Sounds like they also want to encourage land owners to be more open to hunters so keep tryin dude! Either way it seems there is going to be some more Axis hunting oportunities opening up over there.
UpFront
UpFront
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Axis Deer on Maui Article Empty Can't blame the hunters

Post  Ikestr Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:58 pm

Look at the overall history of this state and the Lawyers that work the system. Gone are the days of a Gentleman's hand shake and his word. Just my jaded humble opinion Sad
Ikestr
Ikestr
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Babooze Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:26 am

Not just yours Ikest. Its a sad state of affairs!

Babooze
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://hawaiioutdoorsman.freeforums.org/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Misadventure Gear Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:44 am

+1 on your comment Ikestr......I was raised that a giving your word is not something to take lightly. It's a value I am teaching my boy too. Others may not value their word, but that doesn't mean we have to be like them.
Misadventure Gear
Misadventure Gear
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.misadventuregear.com

Back to top Go down

Axis Deer on Maui Article Empty Your word

Post  AK Andy Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:44 pm

Howzit guys?
from way up here on my remote Alaskan island, I'm with you guys 100%, not enough folks these days are worth their word, too bad one bad apple can spoil it for the whole bunch, but at least a few of us remain honorable and trustworthy.
As for getting permission, I used to hunt a lot of private land and found it beneficial to show up ahead of season when hoping to get permission and I dressed well and introduced myself with a paper with my full name and address and phone number and my drivers license, and I also offered to help around the house/farm/ or ranch - I got refused by a few, but good down home folks generally could tell when a stand up guy comes along that they more often will let him hunt, it helped to tell them I know the importance of shutting all gates and that I would not drive my truck in when the gound was soft so I would not rut up the place. I also offered to share the meat if I was lucky enough to get something. It also helps to show up the first time with some fish fillets or something to give them, then they kinda know you are a local and are more appreciative and more apt to let you on. As for the liability, maybe ahead of time you could fill out a paper and sign it that states you will not ever press any charges if you happened to get injured while on their property, having that paper on you already signed when you ask permission might be an ace in the hole. I found it helped to get permission if you knock on the front door and are prepared for responding, and even if they say no, to be totally polite and leave your paper contact info anyhow, just in case someday they change their mind or start to have problems with deer/hogs or whatever eating their gardens or crops. It also helps to ask around beforehand and find out if you are lucky enough to know someone that they already know, that way you have a mutual friend or acquaintance in common and they feel better about being able to hold you accountable if they give you permission.
Good luck and don't give up MauiRhino, with each time you get refused then the odds are better that the next place you ask will let you hunt, I like all of you guy's's comments. we just gotta convince them that we are honorable men, and that we are not to be associated with the typical slob hunters who disrespect themselves and other.
I can hardly wait until next spring when I can come back to Kauai to hunt some more with my buddies there. I sure would love to bowhunt axis or mouflan on Lanai someday. Had planned to with Eric Sawchuk before he passed away last Feb. I last month I got my moose so my freezer is full for the winter, so life is good up here, I got plenty of firewood already split and stacked, so at least my family will be warm and won't starve this winter.
aloha,
AK Andy

Live to hunt, hunt to live!
AK Andy
AK Andy
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Babooze Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:01 pm

I 100% agree with you AK Andy. I think a lot of the issue is the land owners are reluctant to let any one hunt on their land because they get sued. It's such a sue happy society we live in, where people get sued for the most ridiculous things. I mean if I shoot someone breaking into my house their family sues me. Evil or Very Mad Even with papers stating I wont sue them if I get hurt on their property, with the help of a slick lawyer they will pay somehow. Its a great idea to offer to help with chores on the Farm/Ranch. I cant tell you how many doors that has opened for me. Farmers and Ranchers are long on people that want to hunt on their land but very short on help.
Also its sooooo true that one bad apple ruins it for everyone. If a land owner has a bad experience with a slob of a hunter the rest of us pay the price, even more so with trespassers. My wife is from Kula and we were just there last month and I cant tell you how big the deer problem is. They were everywhere, from Makena all the way to Kula and I am sure many other places that I didnt see.
I guess my point is it's time for us hunters to band together to reestablish a working relationship with land owners. The deer are there, we just got to find a way to LEGALLY take them.

Babooze
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://hawaiioutdoorsman.freeforums.org/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down