Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

baiting pigs

+3
Nic Barca
CAVE CANEM
m16a2soldier
7 posters

Go down

baiting pigs Empty baiting pigs

Post  m16a2soldier Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:33 am

every one I talk to says to bait pigs with corn. one fella even suggestions putting some in a container with honey and water and letting it ferment a couple of weeks. is there a reliable mix or additive to bring in the old boars? or is straight up best?
m16a2soldier
m16a2soldier
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

baiting pigs Empty Re: baiting pigs

Post  CAVE CANEM Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:12 am

It depends on how you plan on using your "bait" if you're planning on just bringing the pigs into a certain opening for a shot or if you're gonna set up a trap. If you wanna keep the pigs around I would say to dig a hole and dump some fermented mixture in it and then check on it till you see action and set up in a treestand once they are comfortable coming to your hole. They will sit there almost all night digging up the very last kernel and if you're patient and there are nice pigs in the area I assure you will not be dissapointed (unless you get nervous and end up just taking off a few hairs off its back) Laughing It happens! If you're looking to use bait in a trap any kind of slop will work but if you really like the corn mixture I would say add some watermelon Kool aid to the mix they love it! Try to keep your bait in the trap and not leading into the trap depending on your trigger you could end up with empty traps in the morning. If you wanna try a project type of attractant hit up Home Depot or any hardware store and get you a small piece of PVC, drill holes in it about 6 or so inches up and cap both ends ( one side glued ). Hang this from a tree filled with whatever you got and the pigs will bang on it to get the goods out thru the holes. Good luck!
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  m16a2soldier Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:18 am

interesting. Im intending to use the bait for bowhunting. thanks for the info, think I'll try the pipe.
m16a2soldier
m16a2soldier
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  CAVE CANEM Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:24 am

No problem! Good luck!
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Nic Barca Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:49 am

I've heard second hand of pigs being picky with bait but all my experiences so far with corn have been positive. It always over 2 weeks for pigs to come to the feeders. Maybe if you know a certain pig doesn't like the corn, you can try mixing things up but in my experiences, they all loved plain corn.
Nic Barca
Nic Barca
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.huntfishhawaii.com

Back to top Go down

Post  m16a2soldier Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:45 pm

I understand a critters reluctance to come to a feeder. anybody have any luck with just spreading the bait on the ground and setting a stand over it? and if so what is a good interval to wait between setting the bait and hunting over it?
m16a2soldier
m16a2soldier
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  UpFront Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:08 am

If you have a spot all scouted out where you have been seeing good fresh sign on a regular basis then just keep puting out corn there and they will come. Most likely only at night for a while until they get ballsy enough to show before the sun goes down. It just takes time.
There is definately advantages to using a timed feeder set up over just puting the corn out by hand, and most hogs in the hills around Oahu already know what it is, and know the sound of a spinner plate throwing corn.
Just set up down wind an hour or so before the timed feed and play some PSP until the pigs come. Cool
UpFront
UpFront
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  m16a2soldier Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:59 pm

thanks for the info. one more question though. has anyone here tried these commercial attractants such as the c'mere deer hog and bear formula, or the Hog Draw they sell at the island archer? and if so, any luck? also how effective is calling around here?
m16a2soldier
m16a2soldier
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

baiting pigs Empty attracting hogs

Post  AK Andy Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:48 pm

Howzit M16A2,
I envy you brah, I wish I were in a spot I could set up some hog bait, make the PVC pipe thing and tie it down real good, or buy a feeder and set up a bait station that sprinkles out a little corn twice a day in a spot where you've seen fresh sign. From my limited experience corn is the best thing, fermenting it might bring in some newer ones from a distance if they smell it on the wind and otherwise might have missed the spot, plain corn from a feeder works- they will come. It can be like a dinnerbell when it goes off and sprinkles down - they can come running. There are tons of bait additives on the market - most involve something sweet and sugary with grain, you can order a bunch of kinds on line from Razorbackoutfitters.com- I think I ordered most of the kinds they sell. there's a slop additive called pig Out that works for sure, severa kinds of the pig liquor additives, plus powders that work but can gum up your feeder if added to the corn, one sweet raspberry powder and another sweet grain mix called Hog Wild that disappears real fast. I heard acorn rage works too, plus the Koolaide thing is popular. Of course sugar and molasses type stuff rocks. and if you got a tight budget then just plain table scraps would work, but corn is pretty cheap. All these things seem to work once you got them coming regularly to the food source- digging the hole and putting some in seems to get them to root around and make it muddy like a wallow and spreads smell around - seems like big daddy boars come in under the cloak of darkness (that's how they get big), young ones and sows with hungry piglets might come in more readily in daylight. hogs got great noses and can spook from your smell too, so careful where you put the treestand and how you get to it. There is also sow in heat scents in bottle and the Hog Bomb spray cans too, if you are specifically trying to entice a horny old boss boar to come in the sow in heat might work for ya. One thing too is to set up a rubbing post with rope around it or just on a plain tree- they will rub a creasote coated telephone pole by itself too, or you could use Black Gold (excellent and I trick I learned from the late Eric Sawchuk who designed this website). I think when they rub it is like they scratch an itch but also mark their territory. anyhow , if you do your homework, put some time and effort into setting up a good spot, then you will better your chance to nail a good one. I wish I was there to help- I love stuff like that, it's always a learning curve you gotta climb up and to me the fun of the challenge is what it's all about (other than awesome pork). Enjoy it man. Good Luck,
Aloha,
AK Andy
AK Andy
AK Andy
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikestr Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:13 am

All the above information is great. I'd like to add if you use table food, you may attract dogs. I had that happen to me and it scared the pigs away for a few weeks. Stick to the corn with black gold if you want and/fruits.

Aloha
Ikestr
Ikestr
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  m16a2soldier Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:13 am

once again thanks for the info. I really appreciate it.
m16a2soldier
m16a2soldier
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

baiting pigs Empty Salt lick

Post  Lyle B Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:26 am

Anyone ever putting salt lick to bait hogs? just curious.

Lyle B
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down