Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HOW DO YOU TRAIN YOUR DOGS

3 posters

Go down

HOW DO YOU TRAIN YOUR DOGS Empty HOW DO YOU TRAIN YOUR DOGS

Post  hog428 Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:32 pm

My main pac is very short range we find a mark and track him down very rare I catch a sow only two this year both by young dogs I think I have trained them this way ?????

Training/4mo.2 HR per day
starts with how to grab on a spring I have rubber ball they love to grab it
it moves so fast at first they go nuts trying to grab it All the time talking to them you can see them change
they start to think ahead of the movement at this time you begin to see the ones that will hit first the training will last 4 to 6 weeks

5mo/grabing, 2HR per day
the dogs must work together I have a rubber ball on a branch they all grab together I push them around try to get them off balance If they come off I will make it very hard to get back on this I feel makes them think solid grab full confidence in each other and themselves

6mo/first hunt
I will pick the ones that seam to show they are leaders out front dogs most dogs grab in and out the first time sometimes I will get the one that was put on this earth to make the boar fear. These are the ones I sell they will be to long range for me My main pack is short range the long range dogs will not have the back up For me I prefer to bring the dog around to the game the young dogs will hook up with one of the old dogs and learn the dogs place in my pac

Over 6mo.
At this time the dogs are showing who they are inside or outside dogs between each other they are always in contact with each other from this point on they change every hunt at one year its all about perfecting the skills

AS for training them for Boars only Im not sure how this is but I can walk my dogs through a pile of pigs and keep them at my side I think it is because I get so happy when we catch boars and not so happy to stop the sow
bulls live to please there masters

bottom line for me train a hunter my dogs do not fight each other NEVER!!!!!! they live to hunt

I would love to here any Ideas you guys might have

good hunting to All

hog428
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

HOW DO YOU TRAIN YOUR DOGS Empty Re: HOW DO YOU TRAIN YOUR DOGS

Post  CAVE CANEM Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:38 pm

Howzit Hog428! I make up games to play with the puppies and spend alot of time socializing the puppies with the older dogs and my kids. I let 2 dogs out every afternoon to run around the house and excercise and take them on walks around pig trails in my neighborhood to let them get the scent in their minds. I really focus on their handle for the first 6 months and getting them to explore things and then at about 8 months I will take them with older dogs to the woods and just keep taking them from there. The training never ends! Laughing I haven't "trained" much dogs as I feel I am still learning also but I can say that what I have today is because of the excellent teachers that I have and their packs that I have had the oppurtunities to run my dogs with. I spend ALOT of time reading training methods and then incorporating that into my time I spend on my dogs and also having numerous discussions with everyone here and anyone that is willing to talk stories! Laughing I am very impressed with your ability to put yourself and your dogs on a track and follow it till the hit! It shows you and your packs tracking abilities are well defined!
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  hog428 Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:48 pm

I think you are so right its in the mind of the dog win the mind the ass will fallow my daughter puts alot of time into my dogs I feel the time spent with puppys pays off in boars!!!!!!!!!! spend a lot of time catch a lot of boars how many young dogs do you hunt at once for me more than two the younger of the older will play this is not good for me since I only hunt 3 to 5 dogs at a time getting the pups past this point sometimes takes four or five hunts this is the hardest part for me I get so pissed but what can you do???????there puppys gotta love em the closer you are to your dogs the better they hunt for you

hog428
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  CAVE CANEM Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:03 am

I would say 2 dogs that are still in the beginning phase of being in the woods and haven't learned that this is not play time at the most but like young guys on the jobsite you still gotta redirect them a few times before they stay on task. If I ran 2 finished dogs I would take 1 learner and if I had 3 finished on the ground then 2 would be max. I believe it is a good thing to let the young dogs work it out once in awhile also and on some trips I have gone on that is all we had ready to go but it is a great thing when they get the chance to step up and test themselves.
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  hog428 Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:21 am

so true! when you see that look so focused Its a feeling ya!! because of some hunters that can't tell who's dog they taken home I tend to keep them one on one with me if I sell a dog they are young and starving for someone to take notice this way I feel they bond better with the new owner my dogs have never had a rope or collar they will flip out if try to put a rope on them but guys do train them there own way after they buy them for me I like no ropes

hog428
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  CAVE CANEM Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:02 am

As far as my dogs and ropes go it depends on which dog it is. I can let go any of my dogs and they will stay within 100 feet of me except for one who is a tracking animal and as soon as he is let loose it is business and I will have to keep an eye on him or he will go out and get on one of the neighborhood pigs tracks. I always tie up my dogs when in the open bed of the truck just cause I no like chance um and driving to the spot from Kona can be a journey. I run cut collars on all my dogs when we hunt.
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  hog428 Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:24 am

ya only on the ground I put them in a cage when in the truck CUT COLLARS not for me!! no vest they slow the dog down to me thats like wearing head gear in the main event MMA I had my best dog killed wearing one the boar hooked under the collar and pulled him in nothing I could do I was right there from then on I trained for speed how to get in and lock down to me it's all about control the head I want the dog to stay as still as possible until I get there young dogs at first blow a gasket to pumped up as they learn from the old dogs then learn to control him I had dogs cut up last week I had two young dogs one just lost his mind shit he jacked that boar UP he went to work ooooooooooo ching ching vet bill I was so happy to see this dog come on it made it worth it

hog428
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  CAVE CANEM Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:03 am

Shitty deal with your dog getting caught by the boar! I hope he comes out alright. I like a dog that gets the pig stopped and then backs up and goes to steady barking but I also have a pit/Whippet that so far when she gets to the pig will jump on it with no thought and I recently picked up a pure bull off of this board to grab the other ear and keep the pig there so I been keeping some $ on the side just in case!
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  hog428 Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:50 am

I have no bark all dogs lock down 95% of the hogs my dogs stop I see or at least here the action my hunt is more like still hunt But I also love to hear the hounds I grew up in Oregon we hunted raccoons bobcats and bear with hounds but you hunt way bigger areas I train the dogs to hunt into the wind if the wind changes we change I prefer to hunt mid morning
when they have gone to lay down for the day we will use the wind and hunt from the ridge the out side dogs will go first then the mid range the one or two next to me will let me know were the others are when the the dog moves from my leg it's on thats why I like all dogs to grab him

hog428
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  CAVE CANEM Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:56 am

Sorry had go outside & put couple dogs together to play! Laughing As long as you bringin home the bacon it works! I believe you were from Oahu also and from what I hear the guys there prefer the dogs to lock um down. Not sure if true but just what I heard.
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  hog428 Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:10 am

kuai I love to track him my self some boars take a mo. to catch I can put my dogs on the hog we are after first of this year I had this guy hunting with me for a mo. we were after this one boar he got so wild with me the 5th he never go bang lucky lucky you never know for me I want to be in the hunt with the dogs

hog428
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  CAVE CANEM Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:19 am

1 month tracking a hog! That is some patience! I thought you were form Oahu, Embarassed . I read thru your post when you were selling a couple of your dogs so I ended up checking out your video again! Your dogs actually no look as much Bull as I thought they would! Cherry pack of dogs you got in that video! Nice Boars 2!
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  hog428 Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:22 am

bra any time you like come hunt grab your rain gear get on the plain I'll take care of the rest

hog428
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  CAVE CANEM Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:24 am

Wow! Thank you for the offer!
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

HOW DO YOU TRAIN YOUR DOGS Empty Training pups

Post  KekonaB Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:31 am

What's up I hunted with alot of people that has alot of diffrent ways. But the most effective 1 that I seen work right infront of my eyes is try taking 1pup at a time so they won't get distracted from the other pups.you no what I mean when u take 2 or more pups they only like play around but if u take um by itself with the older dogs if he goin like play that's where the older dogs kinda show him that ah it's not time for play it's time for work. Bra I promise u I had pups by the 4th hunt gareentee they answer bark. When I reach dea they eather barking at the pig or they grabin no joke try um out and I would like to hear how it goes so get back shoots goodluck

KekonaB
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down