Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

goat hunt on makua

5 posters

Go down

goat hunt on makua Empty goat hunt on makua

Post  eric@hawaiisportsman Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:09 am

went up to makua today and got within 20 yards of three billys. Took a risky shot and lost. Crying or Very sad The arrow defected off a branch and crashed into the rocks. I did find a Major highway the Billys are using and now I can set up a ambush Very Happy
here are some pictures of the rub on the highway and my arrow.

goat hunt on makua Broken10

goat hunt on makua Makua_10
eric@hawaiisportsman
eric@hawaiisportsman
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

goat hunt on makua Empty huntin'

Post  Ambusher Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:10 pm

betta luck next time. I guess that's why they call it huntin' NOT killin'. Now you got 'em figured out.
Ambusher
Ambusher
Piglet
Piglet

http://bowhuntinghawaii.com/

Back to top Go down

goat hunt on makua Empty Re: goat hunt on makua

Post  crumbe Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:11 pm

Dang do I miss Hawaii....

Stuck out here in Italy with no huntin!!! Been away from the family it seems all year. But getting ready for deer season real soon

Hope things are going good boys.....and I hope to make it down that way again soon...

Eric,

I sent you an email did you get it>>

John....hope ya killin as usual!!! will send u a pm soon....

Miss ya guys

crumbe
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  bigislandhunter Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:04 am

Well I am not trying to take away from your post but on Sunday August 3 I will be going on a goat hunt myself. I will keep you posted.
bigislandhunter
bigislandhunter
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  eric@hawaiisportsman Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:29 am

keep us informed and let us know how you do.
eric@hawaiisportsman
eric@hawaiisportsman
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  bigislandhunter Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:32 pm

Well this sunday I stalked a heard of 50 goats for about 3 hours. The big billy didnt offer me a shot so I decided to take one of the nannies out of the heard just for meat.
bigislandhunter
bigislandhunter
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  eric@hawaiisportsman Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:16 pm

awesome! got pictures?
eric@hawaiisportsman
eric@hawaiisportsman
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

goat hunt on makua Empty The story

Post  bigislandhunter Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:10 pm

Got up at about 4 o'clock and headed out to get some horns or meat if possible. It was the first time ever that when I checked in that I was on the first page. Usually there are plenty people but I guess that they all went on saturday. Since I got there too early for goats I decided to go for sheep. Parked the truck and headed out to arrea that I have seen sheep before. After about 15 min. of walking I decided to just sit and wait. It paid off I could see 5 sheep walking towards us feeding. So I told my friend to try go and see if he can get a shot off. There was 3 ewes and 2 rams. The rams were about 18 or so inches. He got around 35 yards and released an arrow but it didnt find its mark and the sheep ran to the safety zone. About 15 min after that a heard of about 10 came running past us at 70 yards but didnt stop untill they got to the safety zone. At this time is was about 6:45am. After waiting for a while I could hear cry in the distance so I decided to try and see if I coud see but after a while I noticed that the sheep cry kept getting farther, so I decided to go back to the truck and go get some goats. After having a rush my friend was really wanting to get another chance to shoot something and I promised him that he would. After parking in my favorite spot I could immediatly hear goats in the distance. So me and my friend eased up and could see a heard working therer way towards us. We waited for about 15 min and they were 20 yards from us. I was to the right of my friend and the goats were walking straight to him but at the last second they trunede and started to walk towards me. I picked out a Billy and drew back. But as soon as I got the pin on him a nanny got in the vitals and didnt move. After staying on them for 2 min. with my pin the wind swirled and they took off. My friend jumped up and started to walk to me but I gave him the signal to stay down because they only ran 200 yard to the trees and began feeding. We eased up again and I told my friend to turn on his walkie-talkie so we could talk if I shot something. When he turned it on he had low batteries so that thing made a ringing sound and the goats ran and never stoped. He was sorry and upset but I told him not to worry because We will find more. We them made a small loop around and back to the truck. Saw some goats but they were in a place where you could not stalk them. By the time we got back to the truck it was Lunch. At 12:45pm I climbed a hill to glass and to my surprise I saw a heard of about 50 goats. I then told my friend that lets go put a stalk on them. Well I took the stalk and stalked them for about 2 hours before I got a decent shot. None of the older goats would give me a shot and it was getting late so I decided to just take a small nanny. I ranged her at 33 yards and just put my 30 on her. She was hard quartering away but I have practiced this shot and knew that my slick trick could do the job. I let her fly and it entered in the last left rib and exited between the two front shoulders. I know it wasnt a good shot to take but I have practiced it and I was confident. She only ran 15 yards and expired. The blood trail was massive. I used this head before but never on goats and damm! it is good. As we were cleaning it I could hear something walking in the puka next to us. It was another herd of goats. This time it was the big one, 100 goats. Ranged the tree where they were and it was 40 yards and My friend drew and we both stood up and he was ready to shoot. But before he shot a nanny was 25 yards form us and I told him to harvest the nanny. He let them have it but the arrow didnt find its mark. The heard then ran to the safety zone and never looked back. Seeing that my friend was disapointed I told him we still have 3 hours to harvest something. After all of this happened it was amost 3 o'clock. We then decided to go bace where we ran into the sheep in the mourning. We walked in at a differnt spot because the wind wasnt right. At about 4 o'clock we could see sheep feeding towards us and I positioned my friend to where I thought that they would go. That plan worked perfect and the sheep feed with in 35 yards of him. Nothing really big (25inches the biggest) were in the heard. For some reason he didnt shoot and they spooked and feed in another direction. I tood him he should have shot but Next time we will get you one. These are the picks of some goats and the blood trail. goat hunt on makua Pta_sh10goat hunt on makua Goats_11[img]goat hunt on makua Blood_10[/img][img]goat hunt on makua Nanny10[/img]
bigislandhunter
bigislandhunter
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  eric@hawaiisportsman Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:08 am

thanks that is great. I got to make it over to the big Island soon!!!!!!!
eric@hawaiisportsman
eric@hawaiisportsman
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Turkey Joe Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:59 am

Awesome story. Thanks for sharing.
Turkey Joe
Turkey Joe
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  bigislandhunter Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:10 am

Well eric if you come before I leave for college then I will take you out to see if we can get you something. All you have to do is be able to at least shoot 40 yards. Just let me know!
bigislandhunter
bigislandhunter
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

goat hunt on makua Empty Sheep hunt

Post  bigislandhunter Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:19 am

Went on a sheep hunt today. Aug 9, 2008. I was originally going for horns but the week before my uncle called and said he wanted ribs and some meat. So I got a meat sheep. Small 1 and a half year old Ram.
here is the story and pics.
Find mouflon sheep and click on that and then scroll to the bottom.
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=112
bigislandhunter
bigislandhunter
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down