Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pole Stake Carrier Advice

3 posters

Go down

Pole Stake Carrier Advice Empty Pole Stake Carrier Advice

Post  Misadventure Gear Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:19 am

As some of you know, my hobby is making outdoor and hunting gear. A friend asked me to make a carrier for her BF's fishing pole stakes. He loves to fish, and she wants me to make this as a Valentines gift for him. Thing is, I mainly bowhunt and rarely fish, so I don't have the experience to say what would be great features in a stake carrier. His stakes are the basic PVC and angle iron type, 30" long. I'm envisioning something like a tool roll--a rectangular mat with slots to hold the stakes, made of a heavy mesh to allow sand and water to drain and to reduce mildew, that can be rolled up, and with a detachable shoulder strap or two. But I'd love to hear what people who fish more than me would like to see in a carrier, so that I can make him something he will be stoked to use. Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. If you are interested in the kind of work I do, or need something repaired or made custom, check out my website. Mahalo.....

www.misadventuregear.com
Misadventure Gear
Misadventure Gear
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.misadventuregear.com

Back to top Go down

Pole Stake Carrier Advice Empty Re: Pole Stake Carrier Advice

Post  CAVE CANEM Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:19 am

Cherry website MauiRhino! I think your idea of using a breathable material is a great one but I just wanted to point out you may want to keep in mind the durability of the material if he has eye bolts sticking out of his stakes for tying the stake down it could poke through ( maybe some rubberized mesh?). I will definately lay in bed tonight and think about this and if I come up with any other ideas or suggestins I will post um up! Good luck on your project!
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Misadventure Gear Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:36 am

Good point about the abraision. I hadn't thought about that. The mesh I am thinking of using is a heavy duty, mil-spec mesh used in vests. It is heavier and with smallers pukas than the fish net/bag you can get at a fishing or dive supply store. Still, once it starts to rub, it's gonna wear through. I have a Gerber multi-tool that has the smallest little nuts where the blades pivot on the axle, and after a year of daily carry, it is wearing through a double skinned 1000d cordura pouch I made. scratch
Misadventure Gear
Misadventure Gear
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.misadventuregear.com

Back to top Go down

Pole Stake Carrier Advice Empty custom pole stake carrier

Post  AK Andy Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:29 am

Howzit Maui Rhino,
Try look at his exact pole stakes first, maybe sneak one of his to use for custom fitting what you will make for his specific stakes. That way they fit perfect. Then you can see areas that might be sharp or rub and cause wear and need reinforcement or stronger material.
Jus my 2 cents.
AK Andy
AK Andy
AK Andy
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: