Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to the Big island and looking to hunt

4 posters

Go down

New to the Big island and looking to hunt Empty New to the Big island and looking to hunt

Post  sneakboxer Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:22 am

Hello all,
I have been transfered to Hilo for the next two years and i'm looking to do some bow/ gun hunting (hog, bird, goat, sheep). I have never hunted in this kind of enviroment before and i'm looking for a little help geting started. Tomorrow morning i plan to visit some public land a try to do some scouting. I'm hoping i find some sign and then i'll go from there...
Questions: Is there any one in the area that would not mind showing me around a little? Can i shoot a bow target anywhere on public land? Is the Big Island Gun Club the only range to shoot rifles at? How do the check stations work?
I'm not looking for a guide or to steal your honey holes but, a nudge in the right direction. I'm willing to buy lunch and a little gas.
thanks in advance,
Greg

sneakboxer
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

New to the Big island and looking to hunt Empty Re: New to the Big island and looking to hunt

Post  evan Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:33 pm

I just went through the same thing as you. Spent 6 monthes in Hilo, shot some feral cattle, a couple hogs and a sheep. There's plenty game there. The majority of my hunting was off of saddle road, with an occasional drive up mauna kea or out to laupahoehoe and piha.

Check tree planting road, powerline road. They both branch off of saddle road, one at 16 miles and one at 24miles or something like that. The latter has sheep in the lava and pigs in the kipukas, the former has mostly pig, but i shot my only sheep there. Across from tree planting road theres a parking lot where people sight in. It's also where morita camp trail starts. It goes 2 miles into the wailuku river. This was probably my favorite area to hunt. Choke pigs and plenty wild cattle. Laupahoehoe and Piha were also insane pig hunting spots with very few sheep. The quality of the pork you get from these spots was incredible. Best eating pigs I've tasted. Mauna Kea is good if you want to hunt sheep. Check out skyline rd. That was pretty much the extent of my hunting in Hilo. Shoot me a pm or email if you need any more info!

e v b o u r e t @ h o t m a i l . c o m
evan
evan
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

New to the Big island and looking to hunt Empty Re: New to the Big island and looking to hunt

Post  eric@hawaiisportsman Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:42 pm

evbouret wrote:I just went through the same thing as you. Spent 6 monthes in Hilo, shot some feral cattle, a couple hogs and a sheep. There's plenty game there. The majority of my hunting was off of saddle road, with an occasional drive up mauna kea or out to laupahoehoe and piha.

Check tree planting road, powerline road. They both branch off of saddle road, one at 16 miles and one at 24miles or something like that. The latter has sheep in the lava and pigs in the kipukas, the former has mostly pig, but i shot my only sheep there. Across from tree planting road theres a parking lot where people sight in. It's also where morita camp trail starts. It goes 2 miles into the wailuku river. This was probably my favorite area to hunt. Choke pigs and plenty wild cattle. Laupahoehoe and Piha were also insane pig hunting spots with very few sheep. The quality of the pork you get from these spots was incredible. Best eating pigs I've tasted. Mauna Kea is good if you want to hunt sheep. Check out skyline rd. That was pretty much the extent of my hunting in Hilo. Shoot me a pm or email if you need any more info!

e v b o u r e t @ h o t m a i l . c o m

Awesome......
But where are the pictures of these pigs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
eric@hawaiisportsman
eric@hawaiisportsman
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  evan Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:48 pm

they were all rifle kills, never brought over my bow...

ill post them in the gallery though...
evan
evan
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

New to the Big island and looking to hunt Empty I know a few places

Post  bigislandhunter Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:20 am

If you want to shoot pigs those places are good but they are oever run by dogs. Still good places if you know how to hunt them. As for rifle on maunakea it is pretty hard to shoot sheep unless you know where to go. Skyline is good but you would have to drive to the top and the end where gods look out is. But you have to get there early (before the sun gets up). Thats where get plenty and some big ones. Shot my first 30 inch ram over there. Another Good place would be skyline. As for archery if you want to go then I can take you in Pohakuloa or Kipuka if interested. PILES! of animals. Very good place for someone who is starting off. Goats and sheep up the A$$. PIgs not so much. PM me if you are interested.
bigislandhunter
bigislandhunter
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  sneakboxer Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:42 am

Thanks for the info. I did a little exploring and it looks like there is a lot posibilities out there. I'll shoot out some PM's shortly. And if anyone needs some help on the Hilo side let me know.
Thanks again

sneakboxer
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down