Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hunting with holstered handgun

4 posters

Go down

hunting with holstered handgun Empty hunting with holstered handgun

Post  timmy96815 Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:29 am

Hi Everybody, been a while,
Got another rookie question for you all. Please help.

I wanted to get a holster for my p95dc semi auto 9mm ruger.

What do you guys use to carry a side arm into the field? Holster? just put it in the pack? Any suggestions?

I've been looking around online but don't really have a sense of what is practical.

thanks
timmy96815
timmy96815
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

hunting with holstered handgun Empty Re: hunting with holstered handgun

Post  Koa Boa Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:21 am

Howzit Timmy,

Yes it needs to be holstered and in plain view which means it has to be on the outside of any clothing you are wearing...PERIOD!!! If you are caught with it in your backpack or CONCEALED in any way,shape or form you will be charged for concealed carry/place to keep Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Also if hunting with a semi-auto handgun I believe there is a restriction on barrel length of 5" and it needs to be at least 357 cal or larger & it may also have a cartride length restriction as well will need to check (with the exception of the 10mm auto.) Again I am going off of memory here so please check the reg's and if I have posted any wrong info I am sorry dont wanna mislead anybody. But I did go through this stuff ALOT when they were first legalizing it so hope this helps. But then again things always can and usually do change so always double check.

Aloha and Happy Hunting!!!
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  timmy96815 Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:40 pm

Thanks Koa, Yea I just found that, HEre it is.

Straight-wall cartridge ammunition shall be 357 caliber or larger with a minimum
case length of one and one-fourth (1 1/4) inches (Exceptions: The 10 mm auto
mag and 45 win mag cartridges are allowed despite their shorter case length).

But then I found this.

All handgun bullets of less than 43 caliber (.429 inch) shall be of the expanding
type. Bullets of 43 caliber (.429 inch) which do not expand shall be of the flatnosed
(semi-wadcutter) or round-nosed exposed lead type.

So this means hollow points are O.K. in 9mm, (Right)

Guess to be sure I gotta call forestry or dlnr. Anybody know?

Anybody ever shoot a pig with hollowpoint 9mm?
What happened?
timmy96815
timmy96815
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:49 pm

Howzit Bradda Timmy,

Yeah thats it!

As for the second paragraph, it does not mean that 9mm is ok. You need to remember that there is a few LEGAL handgun hunting calibers that are smaller than .429 inch if that makes sense. Thats what that second paragraph means and pertains too, not that a 9mm is legal. Also the popular 44 magnum is actually .429 inch just to give you some reference.

You are right about hollowpoints though they can be used in a hunting handgun.

IMHO I would not consider a 9mm at all even if it were legal. If I were going to go with a semi-auto i'd go with a 10mm or 45 personally.
Or possibly a 357 sig or if you have bigger hands then the desert eagle in 357,41 mag,44 mag or 50 AE. Again this is only my honest opinion and what I would do were I in your situation. Or be like me get 'um all and you can take your pick Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  timmy96815 Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:09 pm

O.K. I get it. Anything between 357 and .429 inches needs to be hollow point. Anything greater is O.K. and anything less than .429 is illegal. Thanks Koa. I don't want to be out there and have haina bust my but. I don't want to give him an excuse. That's cool. I have a totally legal 45# recurve (that I love) and a 270 win.

Looks like I am not going to waste my money on a holster for that 9mm. Just keep it for the range.
timmy96815
timmy96815
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:17 pm

Howzit Again Bradda Timmy,

No,No, you got confused I think. Sorry bout that!!!

I will try to explain better when I get back gotta go get meat outta da smoker!!!

Aloha! Bradda Munsta
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  HYPA Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:44 am

Timmy its hard to find holsters that fit snug for those p series rugers i have the p94 and was using a halve holster but the barrel would always get dirty and so i tried changing to a full holster then it wouldnt set right.......( but i didnt use it for hunting cuz they are not large enough in caliber size for the state ) and your right that would get haina all wet lol but they are good if ya gonna slaughter hog though thats what i use it for.
HYPA
HYPA
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:20 am

Howzit Timmy,

Sorry for the delay! Ok, Back to subject sorry if I confused you. You do not NEED to use HP ammo but they can be used as they are an EXPANDING type of ammo along with JSP etc. so again you can use ANY EXPANDING TYPE of ammo with calibers less than 43 cal. and even calibers larger than 43 cal. When they say:

"Bullets of 43 caliber (.429 inch) which do not expand shall be of the flatnosed
(semi-wadcutter) or round-nosed exposed lead type."

Its kinda misleading as both these types of bullets DO EXPAND to some extent but its their terminology so we gotta go by what it says!

Yeah if I were you I wouldnt waste my money for a holster either, Save it up and buy a bigger gun cheers cheers cheers

Aloha's!!!
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

hunting with holstered handgun Empty My 2 cents...

Post  Nic Barca Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:01 am

I think you can use that gun when hunting with the use of dogs, so long as it generates 1200 foot pounds of energy. But without dogs, the above mentioned applies. ...this is off the top of my head so I apologise for anything I get wrong.
Nic Barca
Nic Barca
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.huntfishhawaii.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:16 pm

Howzit Nic,

Half of what you said is correct, If hunting with the use of dogs then a handgun need only be of 22 mag and larger there is no restriction as to muzzle energy for handgun.

(I) When handgun hunting with dogs, certain exceptions shall apply as listed in
section (c)(1) below.
(c) With respect to HUNTING with the USE OF DOGS, the following conditions and restrictions
shall apply:

(1) The following legal weapons may be used:
(A) Muzzleloading rifle or muzzleloading handgun, including revolvers having a caliber
of 44 or larger and a barrel length of four and one-half (4 1/2) inches or more;
(B) Rifles using at least a 0.22 caliber, magnum load or any center fire cartridge;
(C) Shotguns loaded with slugs or 00 or larger buckshot; and
(D) Spears and knives; and
(E) Cartridge firing handguns using at least a 22 caliber, magnum load or larger
cartridge.

What you are refering to when you mentioned 1200 ponds of energy is actually speaking of rifle cartridges.

(5) When hunting without the use of dogs, no person shall use the following weapons:
(A) Cartridge firing rifles with a muzzle discharge energy rating of less than twelvehundred
foot pounds;

(B) Shotguns loaded with shot smaller than 00 buckshot;
(C) Muzzleloading rifles, with less than a 44 caliber (0.44") bore diameter regardless of
mode of ignition. Breech loaders are prohibited during “muzzleloader only”
specified hunts; and
(D) Handguns except as described in section 123-22 (b) (11).

hope this can help!!!!
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  timmy96815 Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:35 pm

e, thanks guys. If I get a chance to hunt with dogs, I will bring it. I don't think I am going to buy another handgun right now. I am burning the money up too fast.
timmy96815
timmy96815
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down