Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

head shot w bow?

+2
Misadventure Gear
insurgentserpent
6 posters

Go down

head shot w bow? Empty head shot w bow?

Post  insurgentserpent Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:26 am

anyone tried head shot with bow on pig? tired of crawling thru california grass tunnels tracking down my bow shots.

insurgentserpent
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

head shot w bow? Empty Re: head shot w bow?

Post  Misadventure Gear Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:58 pm

Haven't tried it, but personally, I'd pass on it. IMHO, you have too high a chance of wounding him and not killing him. Arrows work by beeding out the animal, as opposed to bullets which kill by the shock of the bullet's passage.
Misadventure Gear
Misadventure Gear
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.misadventuregear.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kahokua Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:39 am

if youre confident in your shooting and you can consistently group an arrow in a target about the size of a tennis ball from whatever distance youll be shooting, whether youre in a tree or on the ground, then iʻd say go for it. if i have the opportunity, then i take it. i place my pin right behind the ear on a broadside shot or quartering away. ive never tried to shoot them head on. everytime i went for the head shot, it dropped them instantly. as long as youre confident that you can make the shot then go for it. if youre not so confident in your shooting then just go for a heart shot because youll have a better chance of hitting something vital. heres a video i posted of one of my head shots:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cenr6jyiV70
Kahokua
Kahokua
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  huntachad Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:48 am

I have to agree with the bruddah, you need to have faith in your shooting ability. I myself started off bowhunting and branch off and got into hunting with dogs. But I have taken many a pigs with a head shot. I shoot a hoyt razortech that was torqued down to 81lbs. I was deadly accurate with my bow. I, like you hated to track pigs in the "grass". As mentioned, my spot was right behind the ear. I use a 100 grain mechanical broadhead. Another good shot that you can make if shooting from a tree stand is a spine shot. The pig will drop, however it may not die immediately. Alot of times the pig was paralyzed in the two back legs which meant that I either had to put another arrow into the pig or go down and grab the pig by the back leg and put the animal out with a knife. I hope this helps... Goodluck on your next hunt... Chad

huntachad
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Nic Barca Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:45 pm

Only on accident... I a little bit surprized that this is under serious discussion but I guess if you are confident with your shooting abilities, it's your choice. The bowhunting community has always agreed that it is unethical to deliberately attempt head shots. There is just so much more that could go wrong.
Nic Barca
Nic Barca
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.huntfishhawaii.com

Back to top Go down

Post  braddah mike Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:56 am

I say keep it real!Nothing like tracking that blood through those thicks man.
braddah mike
braddah mike
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down