Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pig habits question.

+3
MAUKAKANE1
UpFront
Kauai808
7 posters

Go down

Pig habits question. Empty Pig habits question.

Post  Kauai808 Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:14 am

I've been goin hunting in back yard, spot and stalk with my bow. I've seen a lot of mudholes or wallows around. Is there a certian time they like to be there? Maybe when it's hot out? I usually go around 5ish and is it worth it for me to hang around there?
Kauai808
Kauai808
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Pig habits question. Empty Re: Pig habits question.

Post  UpFront Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:12 am

If you have a trail cam you can set it up at the wallow and see what time they are visiting it.
UpFront
UpFront
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Pig habits question. Empty Gettin down n dirty in da ole mud hole..................

Post  MAUKAKANE1 Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:10 am

Aloha Kauai 808,
I'd say it would be worth it especially since its easy access for you. Apparently the spot is comfortable enough for them to take the time out to lounge and wallow around in.
This mudhole/wallow area is lets say the # 12 on a clock. There is still #1-#11 to figure out, when most are figured out then #12 can be super productive.
Food sources in season or not, bedding areas where they feel safe with quick getaways (backdoor), water source, dry weather,wet weather, other types of hunting pressure etc and moon/no moon phase pattern of movement. Just more numbers on the clock that need to be figured out. Fun, fun,fun. By the time you figure most of it out you could probably look at your watch anytime of the day and be pretty sure of where they are right now. Very Happy ..........................eh,by the way what time now?!...........................time fo poke em n smoke em! CHHEEHOOO pig Very Happy

EZ
MAUKAKANE1
Onipa'a a ku ha'aheo
MAUKAKANE1
MAUKAKANE1
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  hog428 Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:29 am

The mud is not just to cool down more for bugs mites tic they will eat before they roll in the mud after the mud they will bed down It's cold so I would look were the sun will warm the ground first they love the morning sun most times it's the high ground grass or fern somewere he can get in the semi open and feal the sun thats were I would look

hog428
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  timmy96815 Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:28 pm

I read in hog boar hunter mag that they like the wallows first thing in the morning before they go off to bed for the day. then they get up around sunset to start feeding. I found some wallows in November with fresh sign. I waited for them all day and never came but I did not get there until well after sunrise and left at 4 or something. My buddy said go at sunset. I went on vacation for a month and now the pigs are gone from that wallow and I have no idea where they went. Like I gotta start all over like every time.
timmy96815
timmy96815
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Nic Barca Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:54 am

I'll double check next week when I'm back in the office but I recall the pigs going to wallows around 10 am just before naptime. But again, I'll double check later. It was also several days between each use- that I do remember for sure so watch the wallow when you know there are pigs in the emediate area. I'll have more pics from that camera later.
Nic Barca
Nic Barca
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.huntfishhawaii.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bakeplus34pu Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:30 am

Aloha,

Most of the wallows I uesd to hunt would get hit heavy in the morning heat (between 10-12) and then not at all in the afternoon. I never hunted them at sunset so I can't be sure about that. I can tell you hot mornings were the best!

Best of Luck!
Hunter Steve
bakeplus34pu
bakeplus34pu
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  Kauai808 Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:00 am

Hey thanks guys. I need all the help I can get. Maybe I will try in the morning tomorrow.
Kauai808
Kauai808
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down