Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

advice

+2
CAVE CANEM
All Balls
6 posters

Go down

advice Empty advice

Post  All Balls Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:12 am

i was jus wondering what any of your guys best theories and best way and time 2 start 1 new pup
All Balls
All Balls
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

advice Empty Re: advice

Post  CAVE CANEM Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:11 am

It really depends on what you mean by start and on the pupy itself and how fast they mature. As soon as they can run around let um and start working on the basics come ,sit, down ,up onto short kind steps and then when they're about 3 months start on back tracking and playing hide and seek with them by hiding and then calling them to you. Start off easy and short and not much obsticles to distract them and work up to longer distances. When they are showing they have their legs good enough to start running over uneven ground pretty easily then start throwing um in your truck or whatever you take them hunting in to get them use to the ride ( just like every other part of training start off short rides up to they're going to the forest with the rest of the dogs once they can keep up with the pack. Good luck!

If you get access to a pig about the same size as the puppy then you can start training to track and work the pig at about 4-6 months old if they like action um. Remember they're still puppies all the way till about 18 months and some fire earlier then others and some may think they ready for go mountains at 6 months. It's up to you to figure out when is right. Most dogs adult teeth don't permanently set until 1 year old so if they're a grabber you might wanna take it easy on the hard hitting grabbing till lil before that. Most guys like rush the puppy into the bush but I think no need rush.... But then again I wish my puppies could go already!! Laughing
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  alikaf Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:38 am

as for me i hunt the pup at 1 yrs... but training starts at 5 months... "rope train,riding in the hunting truck,running with hunting dogs',running on the tread mill,teaching them not to bark in kennels, getting them use to wearing a cut collar or "tracking collar", ect......... but just how i train........... i know other hunts get there own way............ aloha and god bless................Alika FLores
alikaf
alikaf
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Kauai Boy Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:10 am

For me, if the dog looks solid and get plenty bull in his blood, i try start hunting'em around 6mos. If no look too solid and no more too much bull i try start hunting'em around 8mos-1yr. To me it depends how they look and act. I don't want to hunt some pups too early because if i catch one good size pig and the pup get hurt, they might get shell shock and be scared of big pigs. So it all depends. Other hunters get other ideas but that's mine
Kauai Boy
Kauai Boy
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  MAUKAKANE1 Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:18 am

Alohaz

I practically mirror Kauai Boys advice myself. He made a good point about % of bull in the dog because of differences in maturity level or "early hardiness" of certain breeds. I normally take them on actual hunts around 10 mo to a year. Enough leg to make it thru things and keep up. This is just a general guideline for me though. Honestly I say every dog is different when maturing physically and mentally. Some I take earlier or later than this time frame. After a while you can just tell whos ready to go and who you gotta age lil bit mo!

MAUKAKANE1
Onipa'a a ku ha'aheo
MAUKAKANE1
MAUKAKANE1
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

advice Empty Starting one pup??

Post  N2BOAZ Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:41 pm

I start the pups as soon as there weened from the mother and soon as they can chew start them off with the front leg where the sent gland is so they can get used to the scent. Thats how early i start my pups
N2BOAZ
N2BOAZ
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down