Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ADVICE PLEASE....

+4
ollie
lockaz
BigBoarKVH
huntachad
8 posters

Go down

ADVICE PLEASE.... Empty ADVICE PLEASE....

Post  huntachad Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:13 pm

Heres a question for anyone that has raised their own puppies. I have three puppies that are four months and several days old. All were doing good until three days ago. One of the females my pick of the litter started to act all weak and had a lost of appetite. I shot her up with 1cc of penecilin and the next day it seemed she was doing better and started to eat but did not get to her normal lively self. I did see that she was throwing up and had runny and really foul odor droppings. I just came home from work and went outside to check on her and she seems worse than she started off as. The kennel had a really foul odor to it, Im guessing from her runny droppings. Also tried to feed her but she refused to eat. Her other two sibblings both in the same kennel are doing realy well, but its just her that is sick. A friend suggested that she might have hookworms. Does anyone have any advice??? Aloha - Chad

huntachad
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

ADVICE PLEASE.... Empty Re: ADVICE PLEASE....

Post  BigBoarKVH Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:02 pm

From wat it sounds like bro she might have parvovirus. You should take the other puppies away from that kennel and wash that out with bleach very well. Parvovirus is a very contagious disease and the other pups can catch it very quickly. When my pup had caught it I couldn't afford the vet bill so I just made sure I kept things very clean and kept the pup hydrated. It did pull through. But most times it won't pull through. So good luck my Braddah. if you can afford the vet bill take em to the vet. Aloha.
BigBoarKVH
BigBoarKVH
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  huntachad Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:51 pm

Thanks for the input guys. Yeah I kind of had the feeling that it was parvo but really doubted it because i did raise a number of puppies that I got from other people with no problems. Do you know how long it would take if it was parvo that the pup would succumb to the disease to the point that she would loose her life?? What other tell tail signs should I look for to really know if it was parvo?? I just got through scrubbing all the kennels and the surrounding ground. Going to seperate the other two sibblings right now. By the way, I did have all three of them suspended off the ground on a sheet of diamond wire. Hopefully it is not parvo... Thanks again.

huntachad
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBoarKVH Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:02 pm

Well Chad. From what you have stated itreally sounds like parvovirus. Loss of appetite, dehydrated, no activity, just looks down. I am not a vet but from what I experienced before it could succumb to the disease pretty quick. Maybe a week or two. It's been in a while since I've come across this so hope it helps. I know a vet has a treatment but it costs big bucks. Good my Braddah. Aloha
BigBoarKVH
BigBoarKVH
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  lockaz Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:26 pm

howz it bra i not real sure but could be a parasite(in the pups dodo) try take some of the pups dodo to the vet so they can do da test like 10$ but i hade that problum with a pup from oahu worth a try just keep it hydrated with some gadrade Alohaz
lockaz
lockaz
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  ollie Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:57 pm

It sound like Parvo and if you don't keep the pup hydrated it will die in a few days. They die from dehydation and not from parvo. Athough parvo is the cause, it does not kill the pup. You have to force feed the pup with ensure, pediatric drink [ found in the infant section ] etc. Main thing you keep the pup hydrated and it should live.

ollie
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  Wahine Boar Huntah Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:42 pm

Yes absolutely...it really sounds like parvo virus, i have a pup shes about 3 months now, and caught parvo, i thought she wasnt going to live. she was weak, wasnt her normal active self, she wasnt eating at alllllll, vomitting, her poop was bloody and really STINK. so i took her to the vet and they gave me the parvaid medicine with is super expensive but will help ALOT, i had to keep her in the house and sleep with her on the ground every night until she got better. i gave her parvaid meds, pedialyte, some water, and i forced fed her with babys rice cereal the one in the box and i mixed it with some water, or puppys milk, and i used a shringe to feed her...and i did this every hour the same cycle....keep the puppy hydrated at all time..good luck, and i hope this works for you.
Wahine Boar Huntah
Wahine Boar Huntah
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  Wahine Boar Huntah Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:50 pm

and when the pup poop somewhere you need to pour clorox bleach. Parvovirus is that the virus go into the intestines and eat up all the intestinal walls and that makes the pup unable to eat, and have blood diarrhea. parvaid med runs about 50-60 bucks, but thats the magic. GOOD LUCK!
Wahine Boar Huntah
Wahine Boar Huntah
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  hog killahz inc. Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:12 pm

force feed pedialyte for the sick one and two caps clorox in the water for your other pups....... i do this everytime my pups get parvo and it has worked for me......
hog killahz inc.
hog killahz inc.
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  HYPA Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:00 am

parvo bud sounds like tha culprit, like ollie said they die from dehydration and only in 3-7 days you CAN save em but its not easy you have to get them hydrated and keep up with the pennicillian all the way till the end and dont be scared to the pump2-3 cc's you cant overdose antibiodics but they are only effective for a week to 10 days, also its safe to say they all have it now. its up to the parvo to work the course whatever you do dont give them there vaccine shot till they are well past this.

I usally give my pups a shot every week from 6 to 12 weeks, I know i have parvo in my yard cuz of the freaking neighbors cats so i have to do what i have to keep the pups from catching it.

good luck
HYPA
HYPA
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Wahine Boar Huntah Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:02 am

ohh yeah also before i gave my pup the parvaid med, i gave her pepto-bismo
Wahine Boar Huntah
Wahine Boar Huntah
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  huntachad Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:03 pm

Thank you for all the replies and advice. Unfortunately when I came home from work last night at about 1030, I found my poor Tita girl stiff and not breathing. God rest her soul. Darn!!! It only took three days and my poor baby was gone. Sorry thing is that she was the strongest and healthiest of all the pups. Now my concern is to save the other two siblings before the darn parvo gets to them. I will be cloroxing my whole kennels today and shooting them up with penecilin (thanks hypa) and I will also try that two caps of clorox in the water. With GOD on their side, I hope they get over this ordeal and grow up to run free in the mountains with the rest of my pack. Aloha and good hunting to all - Chad

huntachad
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Wahine Boar Huntah Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:40 pm

aww sorry to hear chad...
Wahine Boar Huntah
Wahine Boar Huntah
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBoarKVH Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:42 pm

Bummer bro. Well with all this advice if you see any signs in the other two you can stay on top of it alot quicker. Good luck bro
BigBoarKVH
BigBoarKVH
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  huntachad Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:06 pm

Thanks again guys. Aloha for everthing....

huntachad
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Huntaz Of War Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:25 am

CLOROX IN WATER WORK LIKE A CHAMP OR ONE CAP IN THE MOUTH IT WORK ALOHA
Huntaz Of War
Huntaz Of War
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Wahine Boar Huntah Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:30 am

whao!!! i thought clorox is fully bad!!!!! like thing can fully eat up the insides of the dog and stuff!!!!
Wahine Boar Huntah
Wahine Boar Huntah
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down