Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whats the best way?

3 posters

Go down

Whats the best way? Empty Whats the best way?

Post  Daniel_Peterson Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:31 am

Whats the best way to build a dogs confidence on grabbing pigs by themself? Work in the pen work in the mountains? How would you do it? My main dog got cut up pretty good about 1 month ago. Since then she doesnt want to grab the bigger ones. She'll kill a 35lbsr alone but when the decent size one comes up she'll bark and chase... help?
Daniel_Peterson
Daniel_Peterson
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Whats the best way? Empty Re: Whats the best way?

Post  CAVE CANEM Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:01 am

Some dogs jump right back on after a few confidence building pigs and others just scade (or smart) and may change up their tactic. Is there a reason you want her to grab? Is she getting the pig stopped after chasing? If yes then what she do when they stop, bark um? If you're set on trying to rebuild her confindence back up then I would reccomend trying to find someone with a pig that get the size but not going rough up the dog to much but will give her a stand off and work her on that only couple times, Praising choke or you could run with someone else who get one solid grabber and let her stay in the full speed action but with an experienced dog to build her back up But either way she could come back around and learn from it or she could have it stuck in her mind. Good luck!

I am a firm non believer in training in a pen and hunting on a high fence ranch for a few reasons but have had those ideas challenged by guys alot more experienced then I am so if you like try work um in a pen I say do um but I recommend moderation but also know guys that believe that is the best answer to your problem.
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  MAUKAKANE1 Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:18 am

Aloha Daniel_Peterson,

What kind of breed is she? How bus up is bus up? Before this did she grab 100-200#ers alone?

Maukakne1
Onipa'a a ku ha'aheo
MAUKAKANE1
MAUKAKANE1
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Whats the best way? Empty OK

Post  Daniel_Peterson Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:32 am

Thanks cruzah. Well she would grab and play up the pig she is pretty smart...but she got one that left her barely walking for 2 weeks. she still has a hard time jumping in the truck. Well im lookin for ways for her to build it back up. Th pig was probably like 115 or 120. But he pretty much wrecked her in about 30 seconds. I wanna boost and build her back up. I am hopeing that a dog i got will stick more closely to her than mine do already...we'll find out
Daniel_Peterson
Daniel_Peterson
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Whats the best way? Empty Sorry Mauka

Post  Daniel_Peterson Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:33 am

She is a greyhound airedale hound cross
Daniel_Peterson
Daniel_Peterson
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  MAUKAKANE1 Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:28 am

Daniel_Peterson wrote:Thanks cruzah. Well she would grab and play up the pig she is pretty smart...but she got one that left her barely walking for 2 weeks. she still has a hard time jumping in the truck. Well im lookin for ways for her to build it back up. Th pig was probably like 115 or 120. But he pretty much wrecked her in about 30 seconds. I wanna boost and build her back up. I am hopeing that a dog i got will stick more closely to her than mine do already...we'll find out

You hit it right on the head with your last three words. You may be expecting too much too soon. (Were all guilty of that from time to time,no biggie) Try not to "jump da gun", give her some time,heal her well. Externally the wounds may look healed (or not) but the inside is another story. After only a month she may not be 100% quite yet. I have seen this many times. Ace turns sour then right back to an ace. Ace turns sour and stays sour. It can go both ways. But keep on keepin on to get a good final conclusion. You still have many options even if she doesn't return to her former self. Let go of that incident and God willing so will she.

Good luck-Alohaz
MAUKAKANE1
Onipa'a a ku ha'aheo
MAUKAKANE1
MAUKAKANE1
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down