Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

big island boar

+9
HYPA
evan
Babooze
eric@hawaiisportsman
KANUHA BROTHERS
s_wright121
Vidinha
Ambusher
Admin
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

big island boar Empty big island boar

Post  Admin Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:36 am

john shot this nice boar on the big island. maybe he'll share the story with us!big island boar Img_1210

Admin
Admin

https://hawaiisportsman.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

big island boar Empty The BIG black Shadow

Post  Ambusher Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:15 pm

Wednesday found me excited to relocate my set a few yards, even though it was torrential rain and gusty wind. I have been seeing a big track for a while and never got a crack at him until 3 days ago when he stepped out into the far edge of the field I was overlooking. It was 5:00pm, broad daylight, and there he was feeding on by. This provided me with the big picture: they were coming in on one side and exiting the other. Got 'em now I thought. Well I couldn't get back the next day and despite the weather I wanted this guy bad. He had looked big as I sat helpless; not wanting to grunt or squeal and risk spooking him. I know you guys will have no mercy when I say it was cold and miserable, but low 60's with a windchill forced me to wear 3 layers: Scentlok baseslayers, my regular camo and my complete Mossy Oak APX rainsuit plus beenie ,facemask, gloves and kneehigh rubber boots. I was still shivering. Well I got in early and re-hung the set overlooking the well worn highways that led into and along the field. The HEAVY rain and gusty wind covered the noise of the occasional clink and clank. I faced the stand more into the forest since it was full of dropping advocatos but was still able to see over to where I was set two days before.The order of the day was RAIN, RAIN & more RAIN. Forrest Gump rain, but I had my buckwing umbrella to keep me drip free. It finally broke 45 minutes before dark and all I could hear was dripping leaves and gusts of wind. As light in the canopy faded to my last chance at an ethical shot I packed my gear and got ready to split. A NO SHOW. Oh well, thats why we call it huntin' NOT killin'. As I started to lower my bow something caught my attention, THE BIG BLACK SHADOW!!! Sh*t, get the bow back, nock an arrow and fire up the sight light, you never know what he'll do but I was hoping he would come into the field where there was enough light. He was passing across the trail and not down it so I listened for hoof tumbled rocks or anything to indicate his location. NOTHING. A minute seemed like a lifetime as I got locked on and ready when suddenly behind me in the field I hear the distinct sound of macadamia nuts being cracked. That sneeky devil had slid around behind me when I was getting ready and I never saw him since he didn't use the trail...at least I thought. Turns out there were two. As I peered over at the isolated tree I got a glimpse of him dipping under the low branches to join his travelling companion, a smaller subordinate... and thats when the fight broke out. He was hungry and didn't want anyone sharing HIS macnuts. Oh man, the growling, squealing and roaring really got me pumped! I had ranged that tree earlier and new it was 30 yards to the front and 35 to the side trail. The light was fading FAST and I knew this would have to happen soon or the jig was up. He finally eased out broadside and I drew, anchored my kisser button and relaxed for the shot. I didn't want to hit him far back with the marginal light so I placed my pin ON the shoulder instead of the crease and let 'er fly. BAM, he spun and dropped RIGHT IN HIS TRACKS with a roar. His buddy hit the highway, running right under my stand and stood off growling in the darkened canopy. I was totally stunned. Could I really just have spined him? Did I really drop him RIGHT THERE? I lowered the bow, dug out my headlamp and went to see. He was just expiring as I approached and I could see the wound in the neck bleeding profusely as his instinct told him to keep whetting his choppers for war even as he faded away. Well, I knew from his size this was a dragger and not a packer. I finally got him home to the scale where he weighed in at a healthy 204# with 2-1/4" tusks. He was a real scrapper with scars, new and old, from end to end; pure black without a spot of white nowhere. I feel extremely lucky with the shot but its just that.... L.U.C.K. I practice alot for all conditons and being 110% confident in my anchor point when the peep is not so clear in low light. This is my second kill this year with my new PSE Mossy Oak X and '08 is off to a hellova start. I'll have to post the other story of my first one, or you can view it on youtube https://www.youtube.com/profile?user=HeleOnHunting . Can't wait to grill some tenderloin and ribs, OH YEAH!! Did I forget to mention I LOVE BOWHUNTING IN HAWAII!!! Aloha my brethren and Hele On Hunting.

Last edited by on Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:13 am; edited 8 times in total
Ambusher
Ambusher
Piglet
Piglet

http://bowhuntinghawaii.com/

Back to top Go down

big island boar Empty Re: big island boar

Post  Ambusher Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:15 pm

204# of damn fine grindz. big island boar Img_1213

Last edited by on Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Ambusher
Ambusher
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  Ambusher Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:29 pm

Had his tenderloin lastnight with a friend, Chicken Fried with lotsa gravy and mash and homemade southern bisquits. Them thangs were commercial size! big island boar Img_1110
Ambusher
Ambusher
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  Vidinha Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:41 pm

Now I stay all hungry
Vidinha
Vidinha
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.cory-vidinha.magix.net

Back to top Go down

Post  s_wright121 Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:53 pm

Iam such a hater right now
but great job and keep lung bustin

s_wright121
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

big island boar Empty Users personal photo album

Post  Ambusher Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:45 am

If you guys like these shots, check out my personal photo album. Click the link at the bottom or click gallery at the top and then users personal albums below the photos. You must be registered to view. Hope you guys start some too. I put some 'ono kine grindz' shots under the regalar photos section also. I love the 'bowhunting pic gallery' in the forums, but I'd feel like a high-jacker posting all these shots on there. N-Joy my brothers and keep soakin' em! https://hawaiisportsman.forumotion.com/gallery/Personal-album-of-Ambusher/Personal-album-of-Ambusher-cat_u13.htm
Ambusher
Ambusher
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  Vidinha Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:13 am

Nice, I'll have my wife put some stuff up. I get thousands of pics of all kind stuff but I'll try to find the best of my best. Aloha
Vidinha
Vidinha
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.cory-vidinha.magix.net

Back to top Go down

big island boar Empty The "John Wayne" boar

Post  Ambusher Thu May 15, 2008 9:36 am

Aloha my fellow arrow slingers!! My 2008 motto is "go BIG or go home" so I've been really selective, concentrating on quality NOT quantity (spoken like a man with a full freezer). I was away for a week on business to the total frikin' circus of Los Angeles A.K.A the concrete jungle and couldn't wait to get back home to the jungles that I love: HAWAII. Sunday found me doing recon at a spot I scouted months ago and had a good feeling about. The sign was thick and the trails well worn from a nearby bedding area with fresh tracks. I eased in with a strong trade wind covering the occasional snap, crackle or pop and hung my set at the pre-selected tree. Not too close to the action, but overlooking one of the hawg highways with a big rub tree 12 yds away. We all know that given a favorable wind your odds are best the 1rst time you hunt an area and I was really excited because the large tree canopy had really kept the vegetation on the forest floor at bay and allowed me to see 80-100yds below, which is rare in lower elevation jungle, down to where all the trails converged to a funnel around a banana patch. At 6:38pm the approaching herd sounded like wind rustling grass in the now calm and silent jungle. SHOWTIME! A group of smaller pigs burst into to area 50yds below followed by a nursing sow. OK I thought, now I know your exit route. A decent boar came out right at dark and took the trail below my location, paused at the rub tree and moved on, but I elected to pass since he was smaller and I know the areas potential. Monday: strong trades and another stand. I got in early again and picked a new tree closer to the funnel but leaving room to shoot 30yds up to the rub tree trail and still be downwind of the travel route. At 6:30 ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE about 120yds away as somebody got their ass whooped, squalling and squealing as they fought. A real rush after 4+ hours of silence to say the least. Oh well I thought, they chose another route today, maybe because I left scent on my way out the night before and changed their habits. WRONG! within 4 minutes here comes the herd again, SHOWTIME! The young'uns burst out first in a feeding frenzy, snatching advocatoes like little 4legged vacumes, followed shortly by momma. She made her way to within 7yds of my stand ,fanning her snout in the air, testing the now dead calm wind. She was tense and paranoid, knowing something was rotten in Denmark, and despite my Scentlok suit I new the game would be over if she crossed my scent trail in a few more yds. Suddenly, as she stood looking in my direction, what I can only described as the "John Wayne" of boars entered the canopy with all the grace of a freight train. Snorting, blowing, grunting and stiff legged as he eyed up his subjects, seeing if anyone else needed an ass whoopin' to reassure who's the boss. It seemed like forever as the sow stared my way, my vision doing the split-screen with one eye on "John Wayne" and one on her Evil or Very Mad . Finally, she turned away to join the feeding, giving me the opportunity to draw, as Mr. Wayne strutted slowly down the yellow brick road, tusks bared like 6 shooters, hackles raised high. As he passed by quartering away at 23yds I buried the Sonic 125 into the last rib and HE NEVER FLINCHED! He simply picked up the pace and went on down the trail and piled up within sight!!! The herd kept feeding, I love archery, and I guess he/they thought a limb fell outta tree. I waited for them all to pass as I regained my composure and reassured myself: YES that really just happened and YES he's down right there. As I was taking the trophy pics ,his twin brother came up to him, 10 feet from me, sniffed for a minute and split, staying 30yds away while I lumbered his big butt out in the twilight. Ironically this is the forth Big'Un I've taken within 150yds of this place and exactly 1 year to the day that I took the 1rst one. They eat well here and have weighed 220#, 190#, 204# and he scaled out at 200# on the money, with nice tusks, 1 ripped ear and scars all over. I love BOWHUNTING and I love HAWAII! If you ever dream of bowhunting the Garden of Eden, Hele On Hunting!!big island boar Img_1413
Ambusher
Ambusher
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  KANUHA BROTHERS Fri May 16, 2008 1:15 am

AWSOME HOG, AMBUSHER
I LOVE READING YOUR STORY'S, ITS LIKE IM RIGHT THERE IN THE ACTION
WOW WHAT A NICE HOG......

NO OTHER FEELING IN THE WORLD LIKE STICK'IN A HOG WITH AN ARROW!!!!!

GOOD JOB MAN
KANUHA BRTHERS afro
KANUHA BROTHERS
KANUHA BROTHERS
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

big island boar Empty Gordo

Post  Ambusher Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:29 am

When I saw the jowls on this guy, as he waddled along the trail to gorge himself on fruit, all I could think was teriyaki backstraps and guava glazed ribs!!! It reminded me of a cartoon where 2 starving people only see a ham when they look at each other, LOL!!! Made a really steep 8 yard shot on him, high in his right shoulder, completley missing the chest cavity and severing everything in his neck. I heard him pile up and found him after an easy track job 40 yards into the thick. I must've hit something vital cause he was squirting profusley along the way. This place is unbelievably beautiful and lush. Not a day goes by that I'm not in awe of how bowhunting in fruit filled jungles and palm trees has exceeded every dream this country boy ever had when I first picked up a bow as a kid in eastern North Carolina.big island boar Img_1511[/img][img]big island boar Img_1418[/img]

Last edited by Ambusher on Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ddd)
Ambusher
Ambusher
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  KANUHA BROTHERS Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:25 am

NICE HOG CUZZZZZ...... affraid GOOD JOB MAN.....

KANUHA BROTHERS afro
KANUHA BROTHERS
KANUHA BROTHERS
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  eric@hawaiisportsman Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:27 am

Nice organic pork! keep up the good work!!!! pig pig pig pig pig pig pig
eric@hawaiisportsman
eric@hawaiisportsman
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

big island boar Empty MacDaddy

Post  Ambusher Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:27 am

Gentelmen, I proudly introduce the biggest boar I've ever killed. 270# of whoopass. Click the link, in my signature below the photos, for the complete story from video of the recovery.big island boar Img_0010big island boar Img_0011big island boar Img_0012
Ambusher
Ambusher
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  KANUHA BROTHERS Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:02 pm

WOW................... DAMN THATS A MONSTER BOAR
AWSOME GOOB CUZZZZ............

KANUHA BROTHERS afro
KANUHA BROTHERS
KANUHA BROTHERS
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Babooze Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:14 pm

WOW Shocked I was just about to ask if anybody had caught anything lately. I guess that answers my question!

Babooze
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://hawaiioutdoorsman.freeforums.org/index.php

Back to top Go down

big island boar Empty Scarface

Post  Ambusher Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:33 pm

You know its going to be a good day when your in the tree 15 minutes and you've already seen 4 boars! Saturday found me returning to a fresh set located about 30 yards from where my last monster had expired. Friday saw many smaller size boars feeding by in the bananas and one daddy shooter cruise by within 15 yards. Due to it being a new set I hadn't observered travel patterns or trimmed shooting lanes. It was a first strike recon mission! After seeing that, I returned early on saturday and trimmed out the lane from which he had passed and got set. As 3 smaller boars fed out in the distance, suddenly I heard the tell-tell sound of an approaching animal from my left. As I readied the camera, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Here was a big boy cutting up the trees and I was in perfect position to do a dental examination as I stared down his throat! As he came into view, I froze him with a grunt, only to see his vitals blocked by a tree. 3 seconds later he moved on into the bananas and out of my life, never knowing how close he came to judgement day. Oh well ,the day was a total success since seeing an animal of that caliber qualifies that I must've done something right for 2 days in a row, plus its only been 15 minutes! I'll get 'em eventually...I hope! Later, as I packed the camera in the fading light, I was startled by a boar fight just outta sight. Getting ready quickly, I knew they were coming up the now trimmed out trail and readied for the shot. He appeared quickly and froze at my bleat as I watched the Tracer nock slam him in the shoulder. The rest they say is history, as he tore outta there like greased lightning, bleeding like the proverbial stuck pig he now was. He made it damn near his bedding area before expiring but managed to leave one of the best blood trails I've ever seen. It seems the shot was more quartering away than I rememered, with the arrow entering the front shoulder, stopping only at the base of the skull after cleaning house in his neck. Massive blood spray from his mouth and wound with every breath. This guy is probably the most battle scarred boar I've ever shot. He had wounds that you or I my friend, would be in the emergency room recieving about a thousand stitches for. 187 pounds is what the scale read after an exhausting recovery. My night had just begun, but a sharp knife and good beer eased the workload. Can you smell the smoked ribs I had tonight? I hope these photos give a glimpse into how absolutley stunning the forests are here and why I love BOWHUNTING HAWAII!!! big island boar Banana10 big island boar Mvi_0110big island boar Img_0111
Ambusher
Ambusher
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  KANUHA BROTHERS Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:57 pm

WOW, another monster........ mean cuz..........

MAHALO KANUHA BROTHERS
KANUHA BROTHERS
KANUHA BROTHERS
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  evan Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:35 pm

killing it! you're on a roll!
evan
evan
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  eric@hawaiisportsman Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:24 pm

awesome view from your stand. That's what I live about hawaii. the diverse views from treestands
eric@hawaiisportsman
eric@hawaiisportsman
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Babooze Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:22 am

Very Nice Boar! I jealous now! LOL

Babooze
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://hawaiioutdoorsman.freeforums.org/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  HYPA Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:42 pm

goodlooking oiler ambusher! What a Face
HYPA
HYPA
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

big island boar Empty Silver Bell Boar

Post  Ambusher Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:01 pm

Christmas Day 2008 4:00 pm: Running late, park, put on pack and new Gorilla Scout treestand, grab bow and haul ass to beat the sound of the approaching downpour. 4:05 :Caught by storm, curse to myself for running late as I realize my rubber boots are ankle deep and my rainsuit is home, dry in the closet. 4:10 :second guess my decision to hunt, as I screw in steps while mother nature holds a garden hose on my head. 4:15 : Put up Buckwing umbrella as rain stops(of course), wring out gloves and beanie, add additional shirt and marvel at how much water is now in my boots. 4:20-5:34 : sit miserably soaked to the bone and be thankful to be bowhunting christmas day. 5:35 : motion on the playing field. 5:36 : Broadside double lung passthrough on a nice fat boar. 5:36 & 7 seconds: Listen to the oh so glorious sound of the pile up! 7-10:00pm: butcher and bag. A 170 pound boar is the best x-mas present I could've ever asked for. Now if my new 2009 80# X-Force GX will arrive I'll be set to bomb some sheep in the new year. If you do alot of hit and run missions or remove your set after each use I highly recommend the new, super light, Gorilla aluminum scout for about $99, at 8.5 pounds with a good size platform, backpack straps and the thick cushion I don't even notice its on my back over my pack. big island boar Img_0111
Ambusher
Ambusher
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

big island boar Empty NICE BOAR

Post  BIG G Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:48 am

I HAD SEEN THAT YOU DID NOT GUT THAT BOAR. SO THAT PIG IS 170 WITH GUTS. WITHOUT GUTS MIGHT BE AROUND 150 GUESSING. THATS STILL A NICE CATCH.

BIG G
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  Kauai Boy Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:43 am

I was thinking the same thing but still some very nice big pigs!!

Here's a table to estimate the Live weight to Dressed weight of wild boars that i got from another website. It was in (kg) but i took the liberty to convert it (lb) for you guys.

(This is only to be used to guesstimate Wink )
Dressed Weight(lbs)=Live Weight(lbs)
100.7= 119.4
110.2= 132.2
121.2= 145.5
132.2= 158.2
143.3= 171.2
147.2= 176.3
156.5= 187.3
165.3= 197
176.3= 210.1
184.5= 220
193.7= 231.4