Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Members First Post

+4
MAUKAKANE1
Koa Boa
CAVE CANEM
haleiwabow
8 posters

Go down

New Members First Post Empty New Members First Post

Post  haleiwabow Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:34 am

Aloha to All,

I recently became interested in Bow Hunting on Oahu. My son, brother and a friend are all interested in doing this together.

I have been working hard on my conditioning first since I am a older guy and don't want to be carried out of the hills. Lost 20# and feel a lot healthier. Next step is to buy a Bow and practice until we are proficient which I am sure will take some time. I had a long bow when I was kid and have not shot in 50 years so I imagine I have a lot of work to do.

While reading the older post today I came across the tragic news of Eric Sawchuk's passing and was saddened to read that he had passed when he was so young. I wanted to offer my belated condolences to his family and friends.

We are all looking forward to reading about you experiences, tips and tricks etc.

Aloha,
Ken Archer

haleiwabow
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

New Members First Post Empty Re: New Members First Post

Post  CAVE CANEM Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:45 am

Welcome to Hawaii Sportsman! Great job on getting in shape to hit the hills. If you've got any questions feel free to post um up I am sure with this boards collective knowledge we can come up with some answers! Laughing
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

New Members First Post Empty New Member First Post

Post  haleiwabow Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:28 am

Hi Jusacruzah,

Thanks for the welcome and any information! To be sure I will have a lot of questions as I progress along. I am honored to be rated at a piglet ( 1 star) Smile

Aloha,
Ken

haleiwabow
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  CAVE CANEM Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:42 am

Laughing My rating does not represent my amount of knowledge! I just talked about hunting and dogs so much my g/f and friends have told me "To shut up already about it" so I enjoy having this board to chat with guys who share my passions and don't mind my constant random thoughts and questions.
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:49 am

Howzit Bradda Ken,

Welcome to the board and congrats for getting back into it and taking the steps to condition yourself etc to get back in the hills.

Sounds like a great family affair going on with the Ohana getting together to do some archery right on. Best of luck to you and your Ohana
in your bowhunting quest and like Jusacruzah said if you have any ? etc post it up.

I noticed your screen name are you from Haleiwa?

Take it easy,

Bradda Muns
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  haleiwabow Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:07 am

Howzit Bradda Muns,

Thanks for the welcome, makes me feel at home.

It is a great way to enjoy the family and get outdoors. Part of the fun is all of the work and learning involved in gettin in shape, learning how to shoot a bow accurately and hunt. Somtimes the journey is as much fun as the destination.

I have lots of questions for you guys when the time is right, its great to have a bunch of experienced hunters to chat with.

Actually we are in Pupukea and are using the Striker road for a workout. Shocked

Aloha,
Ken Archer

haleiwabow
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  MAUKAKANE1 Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:18 am

Ken,
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like your off to a real good start.20# lost,CONGRATULATIONS! that being a huge obstacle in itself. I like the fact that many of your family and friends are also interested in getting started.

Questions are always welcomed, as this board is frequented by some of Hawaiis top shelf outdoorsman who are always willing to listen. If you haven't already done so, enroll in the Hawaii state Hunters education course and become licensed.

Again congrats on such a great start! Very Happy Cool

Aloha
MAUKAKANE1
Onipa'a a ku ha'aheo
MAUKAKANE1
MAUKAKANE1
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  haleiwabow Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:51 am

Aloha MAUKAKANE1,

Thanks for the warm welcome. Getting in shape was highest on the list of things to do, being to oldest family member I am also the biggest which means I would be a dead man if they boys had to carry me out. Very Happy

All of the guys in the family say yeah that's a cool idea so we might have more later.

Really my biggest fear is actually scoring a pig and not be able to do a nice job butchering it so the other family members will enjoy it.

So far I've read every post so I know this is a great place to gain knowledge.

Thanks again,

Aloha,
Ken

haleiwabow
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  HYPA Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:09 am

Ken welcome to the forum! glad to see you here, you will find a bunch of great guys here and a ton of knowledge....just gotta watch out for that vindina guy!lol Very Happy actually im kidden hes a great archer as with the rest of the guys on this side of the forum, happy hunting and feal free to ask whatever, dont be shame
HYPA
HYPA
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

New Members First Post Empty Butcherin'

Post  Koa Boa Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:22 am

Howzit Bradda Ken,

No worry bout da butchering feel free to ask anything about it and im sure theres alot on here whod be willing to share our collective knowledge about the subject. As the saying goes "Theres more than one way to skin a pig, or maybe was cat. But yeah we not huntin cat so pig it is Very Happy "

Alohaz!
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  haleiwabow Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:08 am

Hello HYPA,

Thanks for the welcome and the warning about the Vindina guy! Very Happy I have no doubt this is a great bunch of guys from reading the post. Learned alot already.

There are no dumb questions when you don't know!

Aloha,
Ken Archer

haleiwabow
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

New Members First Post Empty Butcherin'

Post  haleiwabow Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:14 am

Howsit Koa Boa,

Thanks, that is my biggest worries cause I never do'em. Don't want to waste a good piece of meat.
I was thinking of taking it to foodland and pay to have it cut up Evil or Very Mad
Now that you mention it I have my eye on the cat!

Aloha,
Ken Archer

haleiwabow
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  HYPA Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:53 am

I would love to be at that foodland when you role up.....please let us know were you go....lol Very Happy Im sure some of us will have our cameras ready for that one!....Buthchers here on the island wont process wild game due to whole board of health laws, they are legally only allowed to process certified animals....I know you were only joking but just in case someone got the idea to do it....... Very Happy there are alot of our boys down in the pupukea area if you ever need the help in quatering the animal let us know when you are gonna hunt ill leave my number with you and be more than happy to show you how Very Happy
HYPA
HYPA
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  haleiwabow Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:49 pm

Yeah I was kidding about going to foodland, the hippies would throw rocks at me affraid I will keep you posted when we go on our first hunt but doubt we will score the first time or the 30th time until we learn how to hunt. Which is ok because just doing it is going to be fun and healthy. Thanks for the reasurrance and offer to help I will take any help I can get. Very Happy

Aloha,
Ken

haleiwabow
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

New Members First Post Empty butcher em

Post  timmy96815 Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:29 am

Hey Haliewa bow
I never butchered an animal either by myself untill last year. I made alot of mistakes and ended up wasting some meat. I couldn:t get the penis off right and some urine went on some meat but overall there was a ton of meat and it lasted along time.

You can do it and just try. One of the best ways to learn is by our mistakes.

I have also learned so much from this forum. Best of luck.
timmy96815
timmy96815
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikestr Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:39 am

Is this the Ken Archer, Aloha pilot (ret) / astronomer?

Welcome, I know you'll learn a lot from the great folks here at HS and if nothing else, gain life long friends.

Aloha, Ike
Ikestr
Ikestr
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  UpFront Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:20 pm

timmy96815 wrote: I couldn:t get the penis off right
hu uh uh uh uh hu hu. lol.
UpFront
UpFront
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

New Members First Post Empty butcher em

Post  haleiwabow Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:44 pm

Hi Timmy,

Sorry I missed your post my daughter had a baby, 5th grand kid. Wow! must be getting old.

I found an old friend who was a pig hunter before he is going out with us to show us the ropes.

We are taking the hunter education course this weekend, pretty excited to get it done.

Only burning question at this time is how long is it safe to keep the pig before butchering and cooling the meat? I see a lot of pictures of pigs hanging at the house before butchering?

Aloha,
Ken

haleiwabow
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  haleiwabow Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:50 pm

Hi Ike,

Yep, that is the same guy! I figured I need to get out of the chair and do something physical to stay alive. This is something that I have wanted to do for a long time. When I was flying I did not want to risk getting injured and not be able to pass the medical. The last 5 years I have been working on my astronomy business and really got out of shape.
http://www.ironwoodobservatory.com

Aloha,
Ken

haleiwabow
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikestr Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:54 pm

I'm glad you made it to the forum. Good luck and hope to see you in the hills.

Aloha, Ike
Ikestr
Ikestr
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down