Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

new to oahu bow hunter

4 posters

Go down

new to oahu bow hunter Empty new to oahu bow hunter

Post  ohiogreathunter Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:45 am

hello my name is clayton clark and i am new to oahu. I am in the marine corps and i just got back from iraq. i love bow hunting with a passion but i am used to hunting deer with my compound bow in the hills of ohio haha not the same story as pig hunting the jungles. the hunt out here is a diffrent game. i live in kaneohe so i have the Nuuanu public hunting grounds of the pali hwy that i can hunt less than 10 min away. i have been out and scouted 3 times so far i have found some decent pig trails but not exactly sure what all i need to look for and where i should be looking i meet a guy that was a bowhunter coming out of the woods last night that gave me alot of good advice. it would be awesome if i could get some tips and maybee even come along with anyone on a hunt so they can teach me the tricks of the trade. thank you guys for taking the time of reading this. and good luck fellow hunters. god bless the USA
ohiogreathunter
ohiogreathunter
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

new to oahu bow hunter Empty Re: new to oahu bow hunter

Post  eric@hawaiisportsman Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:09 am

welcome to the boards. when i get time I would be more than happy to show you the ropes. I sent you a PM.
Aloha Eric
check out the videos of the main page that will give you some ideas. Aloha Eric
eric@hawaiisportsman
eric@hawaiisportsman
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

new to oahu bow hunter Empty I wrote is on JHO forum but here it is again...

Post  Nic Barca Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:27 am

Though I've never hunted Oahu, I'll tell you what a champion traditional archer told me about hunting the Pali area.

"Scent-lock suits make a huge difference", especially Hawaii's ridges and hills where the wind has a tendancy to swirl.

"Step only on roots and rocks" because any leaves will give you away and the pigs are relatively smart around there because of the hunting pressure.

"Most of the time, you will smell the pig before you hear or see it." I don't know if you will find that to be true or not, it's just what Travis told me.

And as for my own personal advice, pigs in Hawaii will bed down during the day so it's best to catch them at dusk or dawn. Now you are probably thinking "duh" but what you might not know is that they also have a tendancy to want to bed down high on the hillsides and, at least where I hunt on Kauai, there is this mass migration through certain passes and main trails. You may be able to locate a great ambush point! If there is uluhe fern on the slopes, then they will bed near the bottom of it. Or high on steep hillsides in dens that they repeatedly use. You might want to GPS these dens as you run into them and check on them during the day. Another important source of information is to hunt the food sources, which you may have to learn for the area. I haven't been so I don't know what's there. Pigs tend to eat 5% of their daily stomach content in worms and if there are any areas that always seem more dug up than others, they might be havens for worms. The roseapple used to have a lot of worms but I can't say for sure about now because an introduced rust fungus wiped out roseapple patches state-wide and not only stopped them from fruiting but is leading to their eventual deaths. Other foods might be common guava and strawberry guava (if not too widespread), avocado, mango, or whatever else may be in the area. Even some grasses. Keep an eye out.

If you are hunting during the middle of the day, concentrate on those steep, thick areas, where pigs would likely be bedded down.

I heard there were goats higher up in the pali area too but like I said, I've never been.

Hope that helps. Climb high. ...and I mean that ; )
Nic Barca
Nic Barca
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.huntfishhawaii.com

Back to top Go down

Post  HYPA Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:49 am

Hey O.G.H have you ever ran with dogs? Smile ......If you like pm me well try to set something up. Very Happy .....Im sure that military id card can unlock some doors around my area......lol Very Happy ......(Koa Boa STOP ROLLING YOUR EYES!!!!!!)...LOL Laughing
HYPA
HYPA
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down