Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Final call for wildlife survey recipients-Pig management

Go down

Final call for wildlife survey recipients-Pig management Empty Final call for wildlife survey recipients-Pig management

Post  Cheryl Lohr Tue May 24, 2011 12:30 am

To all hunters,
This is a final call for anyone that is interested in participating in a survey regarding wild animals in Hawaii to contact Cheryl Lohr via 808-956-2434 or cheryl26@hawaii.edu.

I'm a graduate student at the University of Hawaii at Manoa. In a couple of weeks I will be sending out a survey to hunters across the islands regarding the abundance and management of wild animals like pigs, axis deer, mouflon, goats, wild turkeys, and doves. The results from this survey will influence future wildlife management plans and policy. This survey is a chance for hunters to have their collective opinion scientifically documented.

The survey will ask you two general questions:
1) What is your desired abundance for wildlife in the Hawaiian Islands? For example, is there a maximum number of axis deer or wild pigs that you will tolerate in your neighborhood? Conversely, is there a minimum number of wildlife that you would prefer to see/hear?
2) What tools would you prefer the authorities to use when managing various wildlife species, such as pigs, or goats?

The survey will be mailed to approximately 1500 randomly chosen people who bought hunting permits in 2009. I would also like to email a copy of the survey to any hunters that are willing to contact me. If you've moved since 2009 or did not buy a permit in 2009 and would like to express your opinion regarding the management of wild animals then please contact me, Cheryl Lohr on 808-956-2434 or cheryl26@hawaii.edu. I will need your first and last name, your email address, and some information on how you heard about the survey.

You do not need a hunting permit to participate in the survey. I will not ask you if you have a hunting permit! All survey responses are confidential and will not be connected to your name in any way. Unfortunately, the survey is limited to residents of Hawaii only.

Big thank you to those 36 hunters that have contacted me previously.

FYI: I'm also sending this survey to 290 animal welfare activists, 350 farmers/ranchers, and 700 conservation biologists.

Feel free to contact me with any questions you might have, I'm happy to chat.

Cheryl Lohr
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Final call for wildlife survey recipients-Pig management Empty More information

Post  Cheryl Lohr Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:52 pm

In response to one hunters questions:
I just wanted to let you all know that the survey will not ask you if you have a hunting permit, nor will it ask you where you hunt.

The survey will be sent out within the next week, so if you would like to participate please contact me ASAP.

Hunters across the US generate a lot of the money used to manage wildlife, so it is really important that State wildlife agencies understand how hunters feel about current hunting regulations and wildlife management plans. Responding to my survey is a great way to make sure the collective opinion of hunters is recorded and reported to DOFAW. Responses to the survey will be kept confidential to the extent allowed by the law and will not be associated with your name or contact information in any way.

Thanks,
Cheryl Lohr
cheryl26@hawaii.edu
808-956-2434

Cheryl Lohr
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down