Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tips on fleshing to mount

3 posters

Go down

Tips on fleshing to mount Empty Tips on fleshing to mount

Post  CAVE CANEM Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:41 pm

Howzit guys! I was wondering if anyone was willing to share some tips on how they handle their catch after the kill if they plan to get the animal mounted? Anything the guys who do the work prefer to be done or not done? Certain way to cape?
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Tips on fleshing to mount Empty Re: Tips on fleshing to mount

Post  Koa Boa Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:00 am

Sup Hawaiian,

For caping I like to tube it out less to sew! Be careful under the chest area between the front legs,neck like that the skin there is thin even on monsta kine boars Smile I would recommend that most people stop at the base of the skull and get it to your taxidermist ASAP! Reason being is that if not careful can mess up around the eyes and nose etc.

I like to wrap my stuff in newspaper or freezer wrapping paper to help curb frostbite if you happen to have it in da freeza longtime Smile been dea before Smile

Hope this helped a little but im sure theres more qualified people then me to jump on this. Im scheduled to go to Taxidermy School in November hope it all works out.

Aloha,
Bradda Muns
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  steady n' ready Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:15 am

oh no hayn, now what nice pig you when catch that you like mount? heh, go talk to your neighbor!!! lol
steady n' ready
steady n' ready
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  CAVE CANEM Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:07 am

Mahalo for the input Braddah Muns, Good luck in November! My freezer is one big freezer burn! lol!

steady n' ready wrote:oh no hayn, now what nice pig you when catch that you like mount? heh, go talk to your neighbor!!! lol
Nah Kaiola nothing MONSTAH elephant yet! Call me up, What neighbor you talking bout? I goin pound da grounds again in a few hours so we see if we get any volunteers for hang over my fireplace (I no mo one fireplace) Shoots!
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:12 pm

lol! Thats a good one my bradda! I get one boar from 6 yrs ago still in da freezah where has all the time gone Smile might have to rehydrate some areas on dat buggah for sure. Thanks for the well wishes for November im excited hope it all works out. Go get um and hope you hook up one MONSTA so you can get one for hang ova someplace lol!

Oh yeah im sure its probly common knowledge to you but if the puna is thick you can make slits or cross hatch cuts in it so its easier to fold down and cape out.

Alohaz Bradda Muns
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  CAVE CANEM Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:00 am

Thank you for the advice Muns, You talking bout backcutting the puna for fold um over? I haven't had to buss that trick out yet but thank you for mentioning um, Sounds like something I've seen the uncles do though!

This mornings run was interesting! I went out planning on bringing home a head for the mantle and the boar we ended up hitting had the same plans for a few of my dogs! Took 3 dogs on a run and then decided to stop and get in a few cracks. I watched it all on my Garmin! Cool I was chasing them through the guinea grass and then they lost um. Did a few circles before coming back up, Dogs all good but got some wounds to lick! Try again next week humbled & with a different set of dogs! Lovin this Garmin!
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:08 am

No problem my bradda!!! yeah exactly backcut da puna so it folds down easier you get um.

lol! Thats a good one my bradda he had da same plans ah!!! At least da coons nomo nothing major thats always a plus. Glad you are
enjoying your garmin and putting it through its paces. Has it given you any new insight as to how your dogs work etc??? But yup thats huntin' just gotta keep pressin'

Hope you get dat wallhanger cheers

Alohaz,
Bradda Muns
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  CAVE CANEM Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:53 am

I been only going short hunts and also only get 1 collar right now so no can watch the pack work as 1. I been rotating the collar on each dog and have noticed the Catahoula X and my Shepherd female go out further then the 2 boys in their loops and my female Shepherd is "on point" or "treed" all the time! lol! 2 bad I not hunting birds! Other then that just enjoying the new gadget and trying to keep the dogs in the game.
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down