Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tips on the dc40

+2
**BRADDAH TOMZ**
braddah mike
6 posters

Go down

tips on the dc40 Empty tips on the dc40

Post  braddah mike Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:48 pm

what are some ways i can get good gps signals to the dc40s?last week didnt even go deep had week gps signals on two dc40s until got on top of the ridges.
braddah mike
braddah mike
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

tips on the dc40 Empty Re: tips on the dc40

Post  **BRADDAH TOMZ** Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:18 pm

HOWZIT BRADDAH MIKE,
1ST OFF ITS ALWAYS GOOD TO CALIBRATE YOUR COMPASS B4 U HUNT N EVEN DURING DA HUNT..
ANOTHER THING IS MAKE SURE YOUR ANTENNAS DON'T HAVE KINKS IN UM...ALSO MAKE SURE UR COLLAR AND DEVICE IS ALL UPDATED WITH THE LATEST GARMIN SOFTWARE ...I HUNT WITH BOTH DC 30 & 40 AND ILL TELL U 1ST. HAND SUM TIMES DA 30S CATCH BETTAH AN SUMTIMES DA 40S....ITS NOT GUARANTEE THAT GOING HAVE SIGNAL ALL DA TYME THAT'S WERE WE GOTTA USE OUR HEAD AN KNOW OUR HOUNDZ..I DO SELL THE EXTENDED TUFF SKIN FOR THE DC 40 FOR $12 BUT EVEN THAT STILL LOSE RECEPTION ONCE IN A WHILE..BUT IT HELPS ALOT BETTAH THAN DA STOCK 1S...HOPE THIS HELPS BRADDAH MIKE..
**SHAKA-KALIKIMAKA**BRADDAH TOMZ
**BRADDAH TOMZ**
**BRADDAH TOMZ**
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  hog killahz inc. Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:17 am

You probably have to update your system if you're using the 220 gps with the dc40's so they communicate better.
curtis
hog killahz inc.
hog killahz inc.
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  braddah mike Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:40 am

ho crap its been a long time since i updated my garmin.shoots tom and curtis aloha.
braddah mike
braddah mike
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:04 pm

Howzit bradda Mike are these two collars your only gps collars or did u have more that day but only those two were having issues??? Jus trying to make sure I'm understanding what's happening. That way can make an informed decision of possible causes.

Bradda Tom n Curtis gave good advice let us know as there's many possibles n don't wanna bore you.

Alohaz,

Bradda Muns
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  braddah mike Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:43 pm

i was running two dc30s also.and those were fine the gps signals was weak on the 40s not the communication.
braddah mike
braddah mike
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:12 am

Right on bradda mike thats the info I was looking for that helps a lot. Sounds like youre on the right path, Update your software as it sounds like you havent in awhile. If it was your GPS signal and not your communication then at least you know what part of the system is having issues. Let us know how everything turns out once you update and have rerun da collars in a similar situation.

Had an issue last week where I lost the dogs at a little over 200 yds hooked up my LR Ant. nothing. Kinda strange, not very bad terrain at all been in worse with no issues. so I grabbed my spare same thing, So I was thinking they mustve gotten in a bad place. But had another system that picked um up just fine with the factory antenna. Then I remembered something from long ago and it fixed the issue I was having. Thats just one example of how these things play out lucky had 3 Astro's and if I remembered to do what I normally do (Mechanical not Electrical/Updates) then I wouldnt have had that happen to begin with but sometimes we forget.

Hope all works out my bradda!

Alohaz,

Bradda Muns
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Haynhoundz Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:10 pm

Howzit, Koa Boa

What was it that you did to fix the problem???? I got a 320 with two dc40's and was hunting with a buddie with the same set up. Half way into the hunt I lost reception and never got it back the rest of the hunt. My buddies system was fine the whole time. I calibrated the compass and even tried to re-set the hunt, even touching the collar to the handheld. Just wondering if anybody else is having these problems??? Lmk your guys info could use the help. Mahalo and Happy Holidays bruddahs.
Haynhoundz
Haynhoundz
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:36 pm

Howzit HMC, What reception did u lose gps or communication? It matters to know which one as they have different solutions.

Alohaz,

Bradda Muns
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Haynhoundz Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:48 pm

The screen had a question mark where the dog location should be. The last spot of contact was intact showing the yardage and as I traveled further it increased. I guess you could say the gps connection but I'm not sure.
Also I don't know if you use a 320 but some time the location of the dog sometimes skips around on the screen. Thanks for the reply, kinda new to all this stuff. Mahaloz.
Haynhoundz
Haynhoundz
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:01 am

Howzit HMC, Theres many things to go over to try and narrow it down. But I dont wanna hijack bradda mikes thread unless he doesnt mind but im sure theres others here who know more than me and maybe they will chime in as well.

If you like you can PM me and I will try and help you as much as I can.

Yes, I have both Astro's 220 and 320 and both collars 30's and 40's

Alohaz,

Bradda Muns

Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  braddah mike Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:32 pm

muns i dont mind at all.i updated my software and ill see what happens going hunt tonight but inna wide open area.weekend hunting mauka so ill see.thanks for the advice and input.
braddah mike
braddah mike
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Haynhoundz Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:03 pm

Thanks bruddah Mike and much mahaloz bruddah muns. Just trying to figure out some of these problems I've been experiencing. It's kinda like this I get a signal and a connection during the first half of the hunt and mid way through I lose connection with my dogs. My dogs come back and I try to re-connect but no luck. Meanwhile my buddy has the same exact setup and his works fine. Please help, I need some answers before I send this peice of $?!$&) back to where it came from.
Haynhoundz
Haynhoundz
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:29 am

Right on bradda Mike Mahalo for the update let us know how she did and if she continue to ack up try to get as much info as can it helps to try and find a solution.

Alohaz

Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:46 am

HMC- From what youre saying it sounds like an issue with the astro thats why its good to have a backup to test against. Being that you cant re-connect even by touching the collar is interesting. But since your patners Astro picks up your collars fine then obviously theyre working ok.

Also you mention that your system is good for the first half but shuts down is this consistent? Meaning if you were to shut it off and try again it'll reboot and work or once its shutdown it stays like that for awhile and wont reboot even if turned off and back on???

Have you tried removing the collar and re-adding it (not sure if this is what you meant by re-connecting) If at all possible try keeping a close watch on your collars info when it gets around the time your system shuts down and see what signal is failing or if both are lost at the same time.

Yes ive noticed the bouncing dog with the 40's as well and the misreads on the collars like dog is by me but the 320 is telling me the dog is 100-175 yds away also the constant zoom out situation. Little irratating but not as bad as the 220 frozen screen syndrome LOL!!! get choke but thats another story.

Take it easy and hope your system works out its a good system but like anything else it aint perfect but for that kine money it should at least work LOL!!!

Alohaz

Bradda Muns
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Haynhoundz Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:50 pm

Much mahaloz bruddah muns fo taking your time out to reply and help out a fellow lawai'a. I tried everything you suggested which was great advice by the way. I decided to start from scratch. I reseted all settings and info, cleaned out the collars and switched antennas to the long range, caibrated my compass after reseting and re calibrated again before I ushed the dogz. That hunt I never lost signal or connection once and I was in some thicks. I'm not totally sure if this was just luck or because what I did or possibly both, who knows but I'll keep u bruddahs informed. Once again big up's fo the help. Have a great New Year.
Haynhoundz
Haynhoundz
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:34 pm

Right on my bradda glad to hear your system working now hope it stays that way for you. Always happy to help another bradda out if I can.

Happy Huntin,

Bradda Muns
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  braddah mike Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:36 pm

hunted the same spot with no problems the whole system worked perfect all day had tracks out to 900+yds with long range ant com. and gps. was good .right on to the guys who helped.
braddah mike
braddah mike
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBoarKVH Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:40 pm

Aloha my Braddah's. I noticed that my 320 would tell me the dogs were 100 yds when they were right next to me. What I did is went into the menu and clear all my previous tracks and freed up memory space. After that the dc 30 to the 320 work awesome. What I've done since is backed up my 320 to the computer every couple of hints and the always start a new hunt on the receiver whenever I'm about to set out on my hunt. I don't know if that going help but it works for me. Aloha
BigBoarKVH
BigBoarKVH
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:21 am

Right on Bradda Mike glad to hear all is well and workin for you.

Right on KVH, Glad you got yours workin cherreh for you and mahalo for da info.

Alohaz,

Bradda Muns
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down