Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Article: Mystery deer growth pitting hunters against Hawaii

+10
Koa Boa
CAVE CANEM
shrek
muggs
BUBBA'S HOG DOG'Z SUPPLY
JYD
koa96727
SaltyMuffinMaker
hunters6262
Nic Barca
14 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Article: Mystery deer growth pitting hunters against Hawaii - Page 2 Empty Re: Article: Mystery deer growth pitting hunters against Hawaii

Post  Misadventure Gear Sun May 27, 2012 12:37 am

Koa Boa wrote:
muggs wrote:It's easy to say that you want deer on Hawaii if you're not a farmer or rancher who's barely getting by as it is.

For those saying that the deer were a gift to the King, that's right but they should have been left on Molokai and not illegally taken to the Big Island by some one who didn't know better.

Sup Muggs,

Just wanted to point out that its not illegal to transport animals to different islands or on the same island. They are trying to pass this though so it could change.

Aloha,

Bradda Muns
Great Point Bradda Muns!!! I've noticed how atricles like this seem to get printed just when they propose some new bill such as that one banning the interisland transportation of game animals. I think the anti-hunting crowd do it deliberately to stoke up the fires of controversy, and help get a bill passed. Same thing as when someone puts in a bill related to hunting with dogs, and then all of a sudden you start hearing a story here or there about how Mrs. HuHu's poor little dog Fluffly was brutally attacted by a pack of vicious hunting dogs, and thats why we need to pass this bill, etc. etc. Evil or Very Mad Something smells funny to me, and it ain't my underarm odor!

As for Fence and Eradicate, I can see that that might work or be needed in certain areas, but probably not as many as they are trying to do. The goats, pigs, deer, and sheep may be tearing up the forest, but once you pull them out, what is there to control and manage the invasive plants and grasses? Nothing. The native forest still dies, except the killer isn't goats, pigs, and sheep, it's kikuyu grass or something else. Those animals are an now integral part of the ecosystem, and we need to work on managing them more effectively to limit their damage to the native forest. Total eradication is not the answer in and of itself, IMHO.
Misadventure Gear
Misadventure Gear
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.misadventuregear.com

Back to top Go down

Article: Mystery deer growth pitting hunters against Hawaii - Page 2 Empty Re: Article: Mystery deer growth pitting hunters against Hawaii

Post  Nic Barca Sun May 27, 2012 10:02 pm

Misadventure Gear wrote: As for Fence and Eradicate, I can see that that might work or be needed in certain areas, but probably not as many as they are trying to do. The goats, pigs, deer, and sheep may be tearing up the forest, but once you pull them out, what is there to control and manage the invasive plants and grasses? Nothing. The native forest still dies, except the killer isn't goats, pigs, and sheep, it's kikuyu grass or something else. Those animals are an now integral part of the ecosystem, and we need to work on managing them more effectively to limit their damage to the native forest. Total eradication is not the answer in and of itself, IMHO.

Case by case basis, shade could control many weeds- shade from a overstory, mid story and ground cover layer. Many cases, the native plants compete perfectly well against many non-natives. Other cases you are right in that Kikuyu grass supresses native recovery. In koa restoration It is common practice to herbicide kikuyu grass to get a bunch of native seedlings to come up through the dead grass from seedbanks or surrounding trees. That is becoming common practice in koa reforestation in kikuyu. They are finding mild herbicides that koa is resistent to but kikuyu is very sensitive to, so they can go through the stands of seedlings with a sprayer and efficiently supress Kikuyu until koa establishes. Also right in that many places are not suitable to fencing because they are no longer intact native-dominated forests. It is the intact, predominantly native, and remote areas that are most realistic to fence and eradicate. Thats refered to as preservation. The Rain Follows The Forest plan was supposed to map those out but perhaps half (at best) of those native areas mapped are realistic to fence over the next 20 years or ever when you factor in terrain, cost$, potential opposition from hunters, etc.. I know all this because I'm often involved with planning watershed fences. And I predict that as more fences go up, people will start to see the native forests as not being in this huge danger and that hunters are doing a better and better job of controling animals outside the fences and that many of the common natives persist outside the fences despite animals. I think priorities will eventually change, but that is decades away. I sure hope more effort goes into improving access to forests. We have tried getting landowners to the table to open their lands to the public, but they are so worried about liability, that it's proving hard to get them to even listen to the idea of openning up private land forest reserves to the general public. So it remains, the way to get onto those lands legally still means asking permission or knowing someone.
Nic Barca
Nic Barca
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.huntfishhawaii.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Misadventure Gear Sun May 27, 2012 11:13 pm

[quote="Nic Barca I sure hope more effort goes into improving access to forests. We have tried getting landowners to the table to open their lands to the public, but they are so worried about liability, that it's proving hard to get them to even listen to the idea of openning up private land forest reserves to the general public. So it remains, the way to get onto those lands legally still means asking permission or knowing someone. [/quote]

I frequently see this issue in my position on the Maui Na Ala Hele Advisory Council. For example, we are trying to get better public access to Kahikinui Forest Reserve for hunters. Eventually, we would like to develop some hiking trails there too. The Nat'l Park says no because they are worried about sensitive plants and birds in their park, also liability and difficulty of effecting rescues. DHHL says no. Haleakala Ranch says no, because an easement will be bad for cattle ranching in the area, and two individuals who have long term leases on state land say no, they aren't interested in discussion at all. Due to their political connections, they will most likely get what they want too. A couple months ago, NAH hired a guy (Jordan Jokiel (sp?) who's job is specifically to work with land owners statewide for access. He has started working on the Kahikinui FR access issue, as well as issues on Kauai and BI. Unfortunately it is going to be a long process. As has been said, improving hunter access is key for effective hunter management of goats, sheep, pigs and deer.
Misadventure Gear
Misadventure Gear
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Nic Barca Mon May 28, 2012 1:05 am

Thats cool. I'm on the Kauai NAH Advisory Council. You coming over next month for the statewide meeting?

Ed Johnson was gonna help us and talk to the landowners about some sort of lease system I think. But the landowners didn't even want to hear about it and Ed kinda "dropped the ball", so nothing came of it. ...He's pretty well up there in age so maybe something came up. I hope he's doing well. Maybe Jordan Jokiel will be more successful.

The whole sensitive plant argument makes me role my eyes. I understand the concern but to me, it's too much and a trail should help, rather than hurt, by keeping people to one path. Just one of those examples where overconcern causes more harm than help. ...I guess when they add in the other reasons, they have a better case.
Nic Barca
Nic Barca
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Article: Mystery deer growth pitting hunters against Hawaii - Page 2 Empty Plants n access

Post  hunters6262 Mon May 28, 2012 3:27 am

Native plants do need to be protected . Our point is why would you fence 5,000 acres when by evidence of the state own biologists say in acres of that'd size maybe 100 hundred acres would be fenced . I not saying it they are n i have spoke to a few of them n the just throw up there hands n say we treid but they wont listen. When the reports come in not to fence these massive state land grabs they don't publish there reports n get the report to say they need to fence all of it n eradicate the animals. Any time u use pesticides in our forest n watershed area 's it takes 25 years to go down into our aquifer . For as many years they have been using these pesticides n going into our drinking water ,is it possible why our kids now and before, with all this hormone beef , chickens n pesticide water we drink have all these health issues ? You know the answer OF COURSE IT DOES . Also the harm they causing to a race that is suppose to be protected under Federal n State laws by not letting Hawaiians practice there cultural, traditional n religious beliefs with land grabs n fencing and eradication . There has been at great lengths to push fencing and eradication n pesticide use merly for control of lands and monetary gain at the cost of Hawaiian people's rights . There is no argument to back up there wrong ways. Maybe 30 years ago when their scientist where able to bs everybody in telling them (Hawaii we are doing this for your own good )n today they are proven to be wrong , and exposed to be greedy dogs all the time n still have the balls to bs and go after more . When is enough ,ENOUGH

hunters6262
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Mon May 28, 2012 3:59 am

Howzit Bradda Russ,

Exactly! You hit the nail on the head.

Its funny that you and Nic are talking about all this access issues and how all these landowners saying no etc. Actually by law they have NO SAY! Ive for gotten the statute number i'd have to look it up it's back in my brain somewhere. I read all this and it feels like ive been in this struggle forever LOL! All this hiring of an access person and getting the landowners to the table to talk is good but in the end the landowners dont have a say if it really comes down to it. But the state is just too chickenshit to do the right thing. But I believe its just a matter of time when we all start getting on the same page and things will happen. I worked with Jordan 11 yrs ago back when I first started working this job before he moved on I know him well.

Yup, I see it everyday my bradda! These guys always exagerating its so fricken irratating. Sensitive plants etc like they're the only ones who know native plants honestly it pisses me the hell off. They should show that old watershed commercial they made years ago with the hunta who came upon this guy outplanting and he told the hunta its about the watershed. And asked the hunta if he knew about da watershed and da hunta shut him down bigtime. I miss that commercial!!! Im sick of these cracka's always stereotyping hunta's as bloodthirsty killahz,punks,barbarian's,no good people that dont know shit about the native flora and fauna. Bunch of jack rabbits!

And thats why maybe im not well liked because I know the truth because I work among them. They cant lie to me because I call them on it everytime. They can say what they say but in the end they know they cant pull the wool over my eyes. If I had a record or recordings of how many times ive had these guys contradicting themselves etc it would be hilarious. And like Nic likes to do they quote publications and this study and that study and its laughable because they trip when I quote the same ones because ive read it. And I call most of it B$ its just a bunch of donkeys who dont know their ass from a hole in the ground quoting each other.

I tell it to them this way, you guys tell me of your experts who have 20+ yrs experience etc. and you call them experts. Then what are we called??? We who have spent lifetimes in these mountains not just two weeks studying this and a year studying that but LIFETIMES!!!!!!! I can tell you stories of experts,professors and graduate students laughing at me because I told them what they wanted to do was impossible in the area they wanted to do it in. They told me I didnt know what I was talking about, that they had experience in jungles all over the world including the amazon and they would prove me wrong. Well I can tell you who had the last laugh it sure as hell wasnt them. I showed them things they've never seen told them things they've never heard and showed them to prove that what I was saying wasnt just some B$. I laugh at they're so called experts I forgot more den they will ever know about these mountains.

But like my Pop's always told me and I quote "Boy, Bumbye dey learn"

Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Misadventure Gear Mon May 28, 2012 8:55 pm

Nic, I will be at the meeting on Kauai. I didn't know you are on the Kauai NAH Advisory Council, but I am glad you are. I'm looking forward to the chance to talk story with you.

hunters6262 wrote:Native plants do need to be protected . Our point is why would you fence 5,000 acres when by evidence of the state own biologists say in acres of that'd size maybe 100 hundred acres would be fenced . I not saying it they are n i have spoke to a few of them n the just throw up there hands n say we treid but they wont listen. When the reports come in not to fence these massive state land grabs they don't publish there reports n get the report to say they need to fence all of it n eradicate the animals.

This is exactly the point Koa, Nic and I were making. They're wanting to fence off far more than they need to, or is practical to. Perhaps they are following a strategy of asking/demanding far more than they really need, so that if they are forced to negotiate and downsize, they can, and still have the core that they wanted in the first place.

But are we only talking native plant/forest protection, or are we dicussing watershed protection to preserve fresh water supply? Critical watershed can, and does, also include non-native/mixed forests too. In my opinion, these are those areas where Fence and Eradicate is not a wise management plan. These are the prime areas to utilize hunters to manage the game animal populations at levels where the animals can help control the invasive/non-native plants for an overall healty forest and watershed. After all, it is cheaper to let some goats in an area suppress kikuyu, then to fence, eradicate, and then send in teams of guys to spray herbicide on a regualr basis to do the same thing. Open the hunter access, and set seasons/bag limits that encourage hunters to keep the animal mumbers in check, and everyone wins. By opening hunter access, I mean not only securing permission from landowners, but also developing needed roads, parking, easements, and trails so that hunters can access remote areas easier. The more obstacles you have to conquer to hunt, the less people are gonna hunt. Whether it is limited availability of hunter ed classes, limited hunting areas and opportunities, or (such as Kahikinui FR) hunting areas that you pretty much can't even get to legally, all of these need to be addressed for effective hunter management of game.
Misadventure Gear
Misadventure Gear
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Nic Barca Tue May 29, 2012 1:15 am

Totally agree with you MG. And I hear what Koa Boa is saying. And the quote: Why fence the 5000 acres when 100 acres will protect all the rare plants? And in many ways I agree with that. Maybe on Oahu, that is the way to go. And it is certainly the way to go in many places here on Kauai. I don't really agree with small remote fences to protect individual species because the maintenance cost is too high and I feel they should just bring a bunch of those plants into captive breeding in a few centralized locations. But a lot of people, especially in fish and wildlife service run on this ideology that they have to be protected in the forest where they found them. And sometimes that works fine, but it's often a maintenance nightmare left for DOFAW. Especially (for example) when they have to put 5 grand into helicopter costs just to do a single fence check. It's cheaper to be growing them in an accesasble botanical garden (as they do near Kalalau Rim), and give all the plants the rat and insect and animal control they need in one centralized spot. Again, it comes down to ideologies.

Here on Kauai, we have the Alakai swamp, which is native dominated plateau stretching from Kokee to the summits of Waialeale and Kawaikini. It serves as the last remaining forest bird habitat of many species. It also serves as the water source for Wainiha valley and it's hydropower plant, westside agriculture, Waimea valley ditches, and the entire Kokee ditch system which is likely going to be turned into future hydro projects. Those are major reasons to fence off large areas. Water is the single most valuable product of the watershed. So far the rare bog plants have already been protected by small fences since the mid-90's and the most remote portion near the summit was fenced in the last couple years with adjacent units planned. Recently, deer started jumping the bog fences and eating some of the rare plants so you are seeing them put up height-extension netting around the bogs. We even photographed a deer near the summit.

The half closest to kokee is accessable by the camp-10 road and several hiking and hunting trails and also is more weedy with Ginger and Guava, so this part will be most controversial to fence. And it's a decent argument not to fence because of thiese reasons. However, the fact that it feeds the Koke'e ditch system plus it's forest bird habitat, makes it a very desireable place to fence despite lower quality of the valleys and it's use as a public hunting. There are several scenarios that could play out:
1) as much intact native areas could be fenced as possible. (angering hunters)
2) fences might be made only in the remote portions closer to Wainiha Pali.
3) fenced could be made but pigs and deer not eradicated entirely inside.
4) fences would only keep out pigs and the areas would remain open to black-tail deer hunting, which are not as common there and not thought to be as bad for water production but bad for some birds.
5) the hunting rules are changed (already proposed) to allow hunters more open hunting days to reduce animal populations.
6) No change. Rules remain weekends only 1 pig limit per day.

I think option two is most likely, but it wouldn't surprize me if was only a pig fence, but hunters would have to advocate hard for deer. Rule changes are going to happen anyway, and who knows- if public hunting is successful in cutting down animal populations (and I already hear hutners saying get less game now), priorities might change and no fence might get built there at all. IMO, they wouldn't need one if animals were greatly reduced by hunting.

The weeds are a problem, but like MG said, non-native plants function as watershed too, although often not as well as a diverse native forest with all its canopies and layers. Depends on how simple the forest structure is. Guava is also blamed for using more water but the demonization of alien plants is not something a agree with. Both Guava and Ginger will probably be supressed by biocontrols in the future anyway. Right now they are not controlled except in limited areas with garlon-4 and escort herbicides. The pigs are starting to eat ginger around Kokee and I see some deer bites, but to me this isn't a good sign. It means habitat is so bad that they are eating the less prefered plants. ...but that might balance things out.

Last edited by Nic Barca on Tue May 29, 2012 1:53 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : quoted wrong person.)
Nic Barca
Nic Barca
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Tue May 29, 2012 1:42 am

Misadventure Gear wrote:Nic, I will be at the meeting on Kauai. I didn't know you are on the Kauai NAH Advisory Council, but I am glad you are. I'm looking forward to the chance to talk story with you.

hunters6262 wrote:Native plants do need to be protected . Our point is why would you fence 5,000 acres when by evidence of the state own biologists say in acres of that'd size maybe 100 hundred acres would be fenced . I not saying it they are n i have spoke to a few of them n the just throw up there hands n say we treid but they wont listen. When the reports come in not to fence these massive state land grabs they don't publish there reports n get the report to say they need to fence all of it n eradicate the animals.

This is exactly the point Koa, Nic and I were making. They're wanting to fence off far more than they need to, or is practical to. Perhaps they are following a strategy of asking/demanding far more than they really need, so that if they are forced to negotiate and downsize, they can, and still have the core that they wanted in the first place.

But are we only talking native plant/forest protection, or are we dicussing watershed protection to preserve fresh water supply? Critical watershed can, and does, also include non-native/mixed forests too. In my opinion, these are those areas where Fence and Eradicate is not a wise management plan. These are the prime areas to utilize hunters to manage the game animal populations at levels where the animals can help control the invasive/non-native plants for an overall healty forest and watershed. After all, it is cheaper to let some goats in an area suppress kikuyu, then to fence, eradicate, and then send in teams of guys to spray herbicide on a regualr basis to do the same thing. Open the hunter access, and set seasons/bag limits that encourage hunters to keep the animal mumbers in check, and everyone wins. By opening hunter access, I mean not only securing permission from landowners, but also developing needed roads, parking, easements, and trails so that hunters can access remote areas easier. The more obstacles you have to conquer to hunt, the less people are gonna hunt. Whether it is limited availability of hunter ed classes, limited hunting areas and opportunities, or (such as Kahikinui FR) hunting areas that you pretty much can't even get to legally, all of these need to be addressed for effective hunter management of game.

Aloha Bradda Russ,

Yes, asking for more in case they have to downsize is another common tactic. And if there is no opposition then they get more than they asked for which to them is a win-win both ways.

Its actually both and that's the thing that everyone needs to realize and be mindful of. This an other example of them adding things to the arguement to make it sound better. Just a bunch of propaganda, like they always say, pig wallows (Mudholes) create breeding grounds for mosquitoes that harm native avian fauna. While it is true that mosquitoes harm native fauna including us hawaiians its a crock of B$, I can take you to fenced off ungulate free area's with more mosquitoes than any so called pig infested areas whats they're arguement now???. Gimme a break im tired of the B$ propaganda and all the ignorant donkey's that believe every word they say because they got Dr. in front their name or professor this and Master that. Bunch a clown's!!

I work for the biggest natural resource team in the state and deal with this on a daily basis. Seen all the trickery,B$,Lies,laziness,political rubbish etc. I seen it all none of them can B$ me I been there done that.

Oh yeah on the access issue its there for the states taking they just need to man up and do what is right. The same law that deals with Makai also pertains to Mauka. ITS THE LAW!!! So tired of this sit down and talk stuff and going nowhere. dont get me wrong now I believe it is the right steps to take but if the landowners dont wanna budge then it leaves the state with only one option. TAKE IT because ITS THE LAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ive studied this issue alot a long time ago when I was dealing with some other issues in the hunting club. We've always been put on da back burner now its about time we make things happen.

Aloha Bradda Russ and Mahalo for your insight and kokua!

Bradda Muns
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Nic Barca Tue May 29, 2012 2:43 am

Koa Boa wrote:
Its actually both and that's the thing that everyone needs to realize and be mindful of. This an other example of them adding things to the arguement to make it sound better. Just a bunch of propaganda, like they always say, pig wallows (Mudholes) create breeding grounds for mosquitoes that harm native avian fauna. While it is true that mosquitoes harm native fauna including us hawaiians its a crock of B$, I can take you to fenced off ungulate free area's with more mosquitoes than any so called pig infested areas whats they're arguement now???. Gimme a break im tired of the B$ propaganda and all the ignorant donkey's that believe every word they say because they got Dr. in front their name or professor this and Master that. Bunch a clown's!!

Ha!!! Exactly! I keep telling people not to say that. It's a flawed argument! Especially when it's too high, too cold for mosquitoes anyway. So is the pig digging up to a football field a week argument. Or pigs spreading lepto, when rats are everywhere spreading it anyway. Even pigs spreading strawberry guava exageration when birds obviosly spread much more. It's demonization.

Every time I point this out in management plans, same thing. you get people saying "No, leave it in." Like they are trying to stack every little excuse to remove pigs. I tell them it's gonna backfile when people learn it's not totally true. They're setting themselves up for criticism.

It's amazing how when it comes to conservation, you can talk about all kinds of stuff to people, and as soon as you mention pigs. Everybody in the room has their own opinion about pigs. Even if they are not experts. ...I'm no real expert either. I read up on studies and literature by Diong and Riney and Duffy and use it to interpret what I see in the mountains. Riney is most interesting, especially his studies of deer in New Zealand and how they impact the ratio of edible to less edible plants, whether they be native or not. Depends on what is in the area. Also seeing some pretty interesting results already in our kauai summit fence as far as ground covers diversifying in bogs after pigs were reduced. In that case several native plants are colonizing stands of one non-native grass/sedge that spread in pig diggings. We killed some guava every here and there, but I'm skeptical that it thrives so high up at 5,000 ft. Another case we eradicated a strawberry guava outbreak in the back of Wainiha, but rats were eating the fruit and destroying the seeds so there was only a few keikis. Thats one case where rats helped the native plants. Another time, guava outlayers were contunously nibbled by goats, but both those examples were just a matter of time before the stands overtook the place. Rats can even spread native plants when seeds are small enough to not be destroyed by their teeth. So it's not all black and white. Last year at the Hawaii Conservation Conference, they had several studies pointing out how non-natives are in some ways helping the native plants. Still, a lot of people have been demonizing those animals for so long that it's hard to change their minds. I have faith in the youth, but hey, it was old Dave B. with the NTBG who said not to dis non-natives entirely, for some of them do good things. High up guys are even promoting the idea that native plants really do have defences against browsing animals. That Hawaii evolved without browsing animals is only partly true, because Hawaii used to have large flightless geese. And some plants do have some thorns while young (wiliwili), or have small leaves that are less attractive/noticeable to browsers (Koa), or are less edible (A'ali'i). So there is hope for natives, even among all the threats.
Nic Barca
Nic Barca
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Article: Mystery deer growth pitting hunters against Hawaii - Page 2 Empty In Today's Maui News

Post  Misadventure Gear Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:15 pm

So they found the helicopter pilot who they way flew the deer to the BI. I didn't know they can charge him with a crime if he did it before there was a law saying you can't transport wild animals between islands.

http://www.mauinews.com/page/content.detail/id/564186/Pilot-enters-guilty-plea-in-deer--sheep-transport-scheme.html?nav=10
Misadventure Gear
Misadventure Gear
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:37 pm

Misadventure Gear wrote:So they found the helicopter pilot who they way flew the deer to the BI. I didn't know they can charge him with a crime if he did it before there was a law saying you can't transport wild animals between islands.

http://www.mauinews.com/page/content.detail/id/564186/Pilot-enters-guilty-plea-in-deer--sheep-transport-scheme.html?nav=10

Howzit Russ,

They are using the lacey act to try and convict him under that law.

Aloha,

Bradda Muns
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  HYPA Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:45 pm

Hey muns you think he wen sling load those buggas

To bad he didn't have a chinook.!!!

Bwahahahaha!!!!!!!!! lol!
HYPA
HYPA
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:04 pm

HYPA wrote:Hey muns you think he wen sling load those buggas

To bad he didn't have a chinook.!!!

Bwahahahaha!!!!!!!!! lol!

It's possible my bradda lol if he used a chinook he coulda fit one herd Smile
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Misadventure Gear Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:27 am

Misadventure Gear
Misadventure Gear
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Article: Mystery deer growth pitting hunters against Hawaii - Page 2 Empty Circular motives

Post  MAUKAKANE1 Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:15 pm

Aloha,
Remembering back to tha Ala'la situation, where if any was found, that particular section of forest or ranch was then "acquired" for the preservation of that species. Has any of us actually seen the crow in that area? Probably not. Is there even crows there? Who knows? No one has access any longer, not the general public nor hunters or even the ranchers for that matter. No one. This is all under the guise of preservation/ conservation.
Can the same tactic for further " land acquisition" be done with the word eradication?
Eradication in the name of preservation/ conservation. Like the crow, will any of us know if there really is deer on that tract of land other than the word of that agency?
Can deer be used as another vehicle to acquire land?
Outdoorsman will debate the "yes" side of deer on the big island and the "no" side.
Quite natural for our species. Can this deer issue be used on a subtle psychological level to cause division or seperation within our community?
Is the timing of the situation coincidence or by design?
How many of us outdoorsman have helicopters?

Adaptation is evolution. This is universal law.
Will a plant ever develop natural defenses if never pressured? Can their be a harmonious balance between plant and animal capacity if they never meet and managed properly? How far back in the natural history of Hawaii is it determined that this is the point at which we need to preserve Hawaii? Does the natural fluctuation of climate change mean anything? Most if not all of those involved with land acquisition under conservation/ preservation, would have to leave in order to return Hawaii back to its former glory. Oh wait were not going that far back, only to that "set point" in history. The one that allows me to fight for preserving Hawaii but still allows me to have my westernized conveniences of life here in Hawaii. Money vs people, people vs money. Circular logic, same song different singer.
Does anyone know if Axis deer are primarily Democrats or Republican?

MAUKAKANE1
Onipa'a a Ku ha'aheo
MAUKAKANE1
MAUKAKANE1
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Misadventure Gear Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:17 am

http://www.mauinews.com/page/content.detail/id/564255.html

And now Jeffery Grundhauser goes down....but not for importing the mouflon or providing the deer for the BI. Instead he gets nailed for taking an undercover agent hunting without a licence.
Misadventure Gear
Misadventure Gear
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Article: Mystery deer growth pitting hunters against Hawaii - Page 2 Empty RE:

Post  whitekennel Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:42 pm

DLNR NEED TO CONCENTRATE MORE ON HOW TO GET RID OF THOSE ALBEZIA TREES IN HAWAII, NOT OUR WILD GAME. ALOHA WHITEKENNELS.
whitekennel
whitekennel
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  CAVE CANEM Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:55 am

whitekennel wrote:DLNR NEED TO CONCENTRATE MORE ON HOW TO GET RID OF THOSE ALBEZIA TREES IN HAWAII, NOT OUR WILD GAME. ALOHA WHITEKENNELS.
They still stuck mapping the Gorse population explode to 5 X it's size since 1993! Rolling Eyes
Supposedly caught 2 more deer in the past couple days!
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Misadventure Gear Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:46 pm

I did a hike through Haleakala Ranch with the president of HRC a couple of weeks ago. It was the inagural hike of the historic Haleakala Bridle Trail which had been closed to the public since roughly 1935. During the hike, they were talking about how they have been dealing with the gorse. Basically, they brought in a chipper/mower attachmeht on an excavator arm to mow the gorse down to about 12~18 inches. Then they keep it suppressed by using herds of sheep and goats which will eat the young tender shoots. They erect a mobile electric fence to keep the herd concentrated in a target area and then move them as needed. Probably not gonna work on public land, but seems to be effective. We went through areas that were nearly gorse-free after having been dense thickets 10 feet tall and covering entire hillsides not too long ago.
Misadventure Gear
Misadventure Gear
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Misadventure Gear Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:05 am

Misadventure Gear
Misadventure Gear
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Misadventure Gear Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:29 am

Misadventure Gear
Misadventure Gear
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Article: Mystery deer growth pitting hunters against Hawaii - Page 2 Empty Understand Comment before responding

Post  hunters6262 Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:14 am

Uncle Danny took a deal with the Feds to save his 2 nephews n his close friend because grand jury couldn't find anything wrong with what uncle Danny was charged with NOTHING but he was told IF u don't plea to this misdemeanor and fine those three will be charged. But uncle danny having the honor he has couldn't see those three people being charged , arrested n if they lost possible prison time and a large fine. Uncle Danny did the right thing by not letting them be arrested n dragged through the court system . Before people make a comment to what i saying put yourself in uncle Danny shoes . Number 1 grand jury found NO LAW HE BROKE NOTHING .2 He manned up not letting anybody else be charged . 3 that's what u call manning up and being a good man to save others. Read what I telling you before anyone feels he was let off lightly . Uncle Danny in his late 60's could have had a heart attack or worse yet advance his agent orange from Vietnam from all this stress knowing he broke no law or could be found guilty. He was charged as a terrorist n never even had a speeding ticket . But he choose to save others knowing he himself would be free . I take my hat off to uncle Danny . That's honor at its finest .
Joe

hunters6262
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  muggs Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:41 am

I think "Uncle Danny" is a crook period. More interested in himself then the good of the rest of the island and now we all have to suffer for it.

muggs
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  CAVE CANEM Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:45 am

muggs wrote:I think "Uncle Danny" is a crook period. More interested in himself then the good of the rest of the island and now we all have to suffer for it.
Wouldn't he have to break a law to be a crook Muggs? So far what I have been able to find on this story is The Nature Conservancies personal helicopter pilot transported deer to a Big Island ranch in exchange for sheep.They bullied the involved saying they violated the Lacy law, Which they didn't! The Lacy law states animals are being moved interstate or foreign commerce, MAUI TO BIG ISLAND IS NEITHER! They then used this chance to create a law to prohibit transporting wild animals.

Maui get 1 deer problem? Open it up for hunt!
Big Island over run with goat? Open um up for hunters!
Kauai get to much wild chicken? Time for make adobo!
The government, state officials and non profit organizations are more intersted in the $ and federal funds to be handed out so they pull this "Oh we going take care of it, Pay us more as we go and den ah shit we cannot control um you get more $? We are commited to solving this problem! You get more federal funds? We dunno what we doing, oops the problem stay spreading! I think you gotta give us more funds this year! How big is this problem? You can pay for us create one map? K we get 1 idea now but it's worse then we thought, Cough up the $!"

Mr Danny Rocha is a hero in my eyes and I thank him for his efforts to feed future Big Island families! Big Island is not in danger from deer it is in danger from money grubbin bastids who going prohibit deer numbers from being managed in order to create a problem so they can further collect funds.
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next