Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Training Dogs?

+5
BUF
huntahs incorperated
K KAINOA KENNELS
CAVE CANEM
Daniel_Peterson
9 posters

Go down

Training Dogs? Empty Training Dogs?

Post  Daniel_Peterson Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:17 pm

Does anyone out there train their dog(s) to not catch small pigs? Ive heard of people doing it, anyone know any methods, or ideas to share? I just think its soooo wasteful everyday i go hunting my dogs just kill so many little ones last 2 days killed five under 25lbs. I think they're just scaring anything bigger away when they scream the small ones. Plus i would rather my dogs not pay any attention to the small ones so they grow to bigger ones one day. Any help or any idea would be cool. I heard just wack the dog when they catch the little ones but my dogs are shy enough already, and i think there gotta be a better method out there.help?
Daniel_Peterson
Daniel_Peterson
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Training Dogs? Empty Re: Training Dogs?

Post  CAVE CANEM Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:49 pm

No need hit the dog. Just scold um and keep it short and simple "No babies" or "2 small"! Be sure to catch the dog with the baby in mouth when you scold it as a dog only has the ability to reason for 3 seconds so if you do any kind of repremand or discipline after that time of infraction your dog will not associate the punishment with the act. Teaching a dog anything is all about repetition and coinsistancy! I wouldn't reccomend breaking a young dog off of smaller pigs as you still have the chance of breaking their drive to hunt. Always try to end each hunt on a positive to keep each session a good experience which will leave the dogs wanting more. Good luck!
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Training Dogs? Empty thanks cruzah

Post  Daniel_Peterson Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:59 pm

three seconds lol....well i think i can try my main dog is the one who will catch um and let the others mangle it then just wait for me to get there and kill it then when im not looking run off to find another pig... hmmm well all my dogs are puppies still yet. oldest one is a 2yrs everything else is 9 months year and year half. only running 4 dogs so sometimes we'll hit a big one but we cant stop um. they are still yet learning, anyways thanks cruzah
Daniel_Peterson
Daniel_Peterson
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  K KAINOA KENNELS Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:15 am

SOME TIME'S NO CAN HELP, BUT THAT IS HOW THEY GET BETER.THEY GOTA CRAWL BEFOR THEY CAN WALK....SMALL THEN THEY GET BIGGER

K KAINOA KENNELS
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  huntahs incorperated Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:21 am

cannot help sumtimes ahh.. all pigs smell the same. u cannot train a dog for just catch big pigs..
huntahs incorperated
huntahs incorperated
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  CAVE CANEM Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:48 am

No offense Huntahs Incorperated but... Yeah you can!
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  BUF Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:59 am

HO BRADDAH- GOTTA TEACH ME HOW.
BUF
BUF
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  CAVE CANEM Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:05 am

Where you from??
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  MAUKAKANE1 Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:24 am

Daniel_Peterson wrote:three seconds lol....well i think i can try my main dog is the one who will catch um and let the others mangle it then just wait for me to get there and kill it then when im not looking run off to find another pig... hmmm well all my dogs are puppies still yet. oldest one is a 2yrs everything else is 9 months year and year half. only running 4 dogs so sometimes we'll hit a big one but we cant stop um. they are still yet learning, anyways thanks cruzah

Aloha Daniel_Peterson

There you have it. This behavior is being taught to your young ones by your main dog. If he/she doesnt catch a small pig then theres no small pig for your young ones to "mangle". Even if when you get there, your main dog is not grabbing he's just kinda on the sidelines letting the young ones beat up the pig. That doesnt by any means make him an innocent. Seems like at one time or other he/she knew that you didnt want him/her grabbing young pigs (from your brief description) and is just transfering that behavior to the young ones and stepping aside like he/she had nothing to do with it. For now the main dog is the key as his/her will trickles down this packs heirarchy.

Curb this behavior now so when your young ones start hitting pigs you will have an easier time re-directing.
I firmly believe that dogs can discern the subtle difference between boar, sow,laho'ole and small ones of the same variants. You know the scent signature of a fully mature boar as opposed to a young sow, and our olfactory sense is nowhere near as gifted as our canines. Eat,breathe and shit the "alpha" role constantly so even away from your person the dog has the right directive. The temporarily out of their line of sight leader.

EZ BRADDAHS LETS NOT CROSS DAT LINE!****************************************

MAUKAKANE1
Onipa'a a ku ha'aheo
MAUKAKANE1
MAUKAKANE1
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  BUF Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:47 am

in oahu.
BUF
BUF
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  CAVE CANEM Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:05 am

I have no experience with the pigs on Oahu so all I can reccommend would be to use the method I posted earlier and just be consistant about the size you no like them action. The dog may even think he can outsmart you and just start killing the babies before they can scream but when they walk up bloody you gotta be on it and scold um as they try and sneak back in without you noticing. They already have figured out what they're doing is wrong so the time of reasoning is still in effect when they're walking up to you with their head down and hoping you never notice.

Now since we talking about training dogs and MaukaKane mentioned it. If you guys like try train a dog to only target boars try this. Take their favorite toy and spray it with dominate boar scent or rub it on a wet boar before playing with it (Name it pig). Tie up the dog and hide Pig where your dog can see you hide it and then release the dog with the command to "find pig" and when they do praise um and call it a day. You do this everyday for at least 2 15 minute sessions increasing the distance or difficulty but never both at the same time. If the dog has a hard time finding it don't give up just walk to the area and keep telling them search till they do and then the next session take a step back until they pass that stage and then make it a little harder again. Good luck guys and have fun.
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  NORTH Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:13 pm

DP. i heard you say that your oldest dog was 2 years. well i would focus on the main dog like maukakane said the alpha he/she is the heart of your pac. if the main dog is still catching small ones I wouldnt want to train my pups or young dogs with the dog until it is mature enough to know what you want he/she to do(catch bigger pigs). i heard the guy on lifes a boar say 90% of what a pup learns good or bad is from the main dog in your pac so he brings 1 learning dog with the main dog or dogs. well im sure your dogs will get tired of catchin suckers and get a taste for a nice stink boar...

NORTH
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Training Dogs? Empty Well..

Post  Daniel_Peterson Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:31 pm

I may have started this behavior now that i look back. The first pigs i showed my dogs were 20lbs, i just let the thing go and the dogs to run em down and catch um. Maybe i should of started with bigger pigs? So now maybe i should get a bigger pig like 80lbs and let um ruff um up, and give um plenty praise.(once a week in between hunting). I dont think i could stop my dogs from catching the small pigs if they see them. They're prey drive is very high. But ill work on my main dog with the boar scent...but ill try just get a good size pig...i think i might confuse her when i use a toy...or maybe she might get caught off guard thinking it'll be a small stuffed animal.......
Daniel_Peterson
Daniel_Peterson
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  CAVE CANEM Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:04 pm

Depending on the age of the dog you training you usually like use a pig a little bigger then the dog unless they're full grown already then they it's time to play with the big boys or stay on the porch! You can use anything you get tennis balls, Washcloth or anything that will hold the scent that the dog wants to find and then will associate the smell with the toy and the praise for finding the "toy". If you get one small piglet dip that sucka in the boar scent and create a drag with um and tie it to a tree and let the dog learn to find it that way. But as far as targetting the bigger pigs you just gotta be "mad" about the small ones and give choke praise for the nice ones and the dog will figure it out that if they want praise then bring me the big pigs.
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  HYPA Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:12 pm

Daniel dont even worry about it....pigs breed like gerbals they gonna kill em when your not there thats just how things are..in the wild the young are always the first to go but nature makes these animals breed like gerbals so they dont go extinct. just be happy they are working the "smell"..granted you can teach the dog almost anything but dogs are dogs and when the cat is away the mice play, so when you are not in hearing distance or anywere near were you can reach em they are still gonna mangle them. Rolling Eyes

you can teach your dogs to stop working a pig, but i wouldnt stop them from chasing certain sizes....if you are in the vicinity and see them chasing a pig you dont want, then teach the commands like "Leave it!" but dont try to waste your time trying to teach the dog to make a choice between sizes..... Smile
HYPA
HYPA
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Training Dogs? Empty Can Do!

Post  Koa Boa Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:34 am

Howzit DP,

This can be done, even here on Oahu Very Happy but it really takes ALOT of time,dedication and creating your own "oppurtunities".

When I have time i'll PM you and try to explain. With that being said I believe that some dogs just arent cut out for it not meaning breeds but dogs as weve had dogs of the same breed that would do what you are asking about and the littermate wouldnt no matter what we did Mad frustration on da inside I tell you Laughing

Cruzah has given good advice, I remember making "scent drags" as a small kid but back in those days we never had ready made spray we had to "milk" our own Laughing Laughing Laughing or make them from the glands.

Also we NEVER used sows to train or work da pups ALWAYS boars.

Take it eazy and goodluck with your pack, Bradda Muns
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Training Dogs? Empty training....

Post  Daniel_Peterson Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:20 am

Koa Boa wrote:Howzit DP,

This can be done, even here on Oahu Very Happy but it really takes ALOT of time,dedication and creating your own "oppurtunities".

When I have time i'll PM you and try to explain. With that being said I believe that some dogs just arent cut out for it not meaning breeds but dogs as weve had dogs of the same breed that would do what you are asking about and the littermate wouldnt no matter what we did Mad frustration on da inside I tell you Laughing

Cruzah has given good advice, I remember making "scent drags" as a small kid but back in those days we never had ready made spray we had to "milk" our own Laughing Laughing Laughing or make them from the glands.

Also we NEVER used sows to train or work da pups ALWAYS boars.

Take it eazy and goodluck with your pack, Bradda Muns

Yea i figured it would be good to atleast try... i figure this method would take plenty time and effort and kinda put me at my wits end some time but im 19 so i figure i got all the time in the world....milk your own huh lol im glad technology has progressed a bit more, dont think i would enjoy that one too much. Ill start the scent training pretty soon, with my dogs. Also about not being pleased with a little pig and try go as close to crazy happy with the good size ones.
Aloha
Daniel_Peterson
Daniel_Peterson
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down