Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Training new pig dog

5 posters

Go down

Training new pig dog Empty Training new pig dog

Post  Sniper Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:51 am

So, I have my dog coming from the mainland in a few weeks and am keen to get him hunting. He is about 2.5 years old(80 pound Colby Pitbull) and has been hunting bear since he was about a year. He can basically track, corner the bear, and bark louder than any dog I have ever heard. He has also bitten smaller bear on the nose in the same way it seems most grab dogs catch pigs. He has never lost a bear(ok, maybe a couple) and I think he would take to pigs just fine.

I have not hunted pig before with dogs and am wondering what is the best training for him? Should I trap a smaller pig and let him practice before his first real hunt? My friends said that is good, but they said just take him along and keep him on lead so he can watch the other dogs. Which one of these training methods is best? Or am I wrong on both?

Thank you for any info.

Sniper
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Training new pig dog Empty Re: Training new pig dog

Post  NEVERslackin'ALWAYZpackin Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:06 am

every dog is difforent and every body's style's of training dogs are difforent. i would first let him see a small pig and see his reaction, then i would take him with a pack of dogs that hunt pigs already and let him run! "if you want him to track/grab" i would also buy a tracking colour. but alot of people just let barking dogs track and hold the bull on the leash till there at the pig.
NEVERslackin'ALWAYZpackin
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  huntachad Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:10 am

Everyone has their own style. Cant speak for anyone on the other islands but the way me and friends do it down here on Oahu is to show the dog a pig most times one that is caught in a snare or if you have access to one - a pig in a pig pen. And hopefully the pig in the pen is is more on the wild side rather than one that is already domesticated. Sounds to me that your bull will have an easy time adjusting since he/she is already hunting and grabbing bears. Don't know how fast a bear is but on Oahu the pigs seem like they have nitris or something. Meaning that they will most likely run faster than the dogs, well at least in my case they do... If you have a chance run your dog with other dogs that already know what they are doing, that will be the best training (i think). I have two bulls in my pack both females. My pup only six months is colby/wallace and is already grabbing pigs. I dont like to hold my bulls on a rope but rather have them run with the pack. My other bull thinks she is a tracker... lol. But God forbid if a pig should run into her because she will grab any pig no matter what the size and hold on until help comes. I hope this helps and good luck. If you are on Oahu then I extend the invintation to run your dogs with my pack... With the stipulation that your dog does not fight... Aloha Chad

huntachad
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  ShannonChun Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:20 am

2 me it sounds like your dog would be really good for hunting pigs!!! Cuz if he grab BEAR he should garrentee grab pig and also hes one bull and there prey drive is strong. What i would do is just hunt um with other pig dogs and make sure he see alot of pigs and after that he should start tracking pigs!! main thing hunt um choke if you like um learn fast. If you cant hunt with other pig dogs take him 2 a area where you know get pigs and let um chace um around i can almost garrentee your dog would go for pig!! Aloha
ShannonChun
ShannonChun
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sniper Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:38 am

Thanks for all the info. I am ready to get him out there and see if he takes to the pigs. He is setup to go out with my buddy's pack as soon as he arrives. I will post some pictures after we get our first pig.(if we get one)

Sniper
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  HYPA Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:01 pm

Please let us know how he does, Im curious on how he takes to the hog hunting, My family are real big bear hunters from the east coast and i have tried to bring pups to the island and start them out, but i have never brought over trained bear dogs. One thing about hogs is they dont tree so im curious on how long he will chase? also he needs to pick up on hogs scent instead of bear scent, bear is alot more pungent than hog. Hope he works out! cant wait to see some vids on him.
HYPA
HYPA
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sniper Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:41 am

Yeah, the way I hunt bear is just ride around logging roads with him in the back of my truck till he gets a scent then let him loose. He usually finds them quick. You are right about the treeing, I think it will be hard on him to run too far. I lost my old bull when he went for a few miles full tilt and had a heart attack. I will have to see, cause he is not always too nice to other dogs, and you need a pack to get a pig usually, right? I have seen a few on the web with one dog holding a pig, but everyone on kauai seems to hunt with choke dogs.

Sniper
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  ShannonChun Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:24 am

You dont need a pack of dogs 2 catch a pig, the dog just has 2 have it in him. 2 me i hunt more dogs cuz its more safe and u training more dogs just in case one dies or gets hurt... I use 2 hunt 2 dogs b4 and do real good but i dont carry gun its not my style, just got sick of trying 2 find big river rocks and stoneing the pig but it use 2 work lol! I think your dog will do good but i think you going need 2 get his condition up and get him use 2 hawaii mountains. Aloha
ShannonChun
ShannonChun
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  NEVERslackin'ALWAYZpackin Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:10 pm

all depends on the dog. i have seen a few bull's over heat when chaising pigs and die. but only because the bull's wernt use to chaising, only grabing when the trackers have a pig bayed. but i had a bull's that track and grab pigs solo. no pack needed. just gotta start um slow and build stamina. just try not to over work um to hard first thing. i would think he would have the natural instinct to chaise and grab a pig thats running away or fighting other dogs. looking forward 2 da pix, ALOHA
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down