Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Training a dog??

+4
CAVE CANEM
koa96727
808Hunter
Hui-Laho-Nui
8 posters

Go down

Training a dog?? Empty Training a dog??

Post  Hui-Laho-Nui Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:21 am

Is it possible to have a dog that normally goes far to decrease their range? Could they be trained to NOT go AS far? Or is it just up to dem n if it's too far for u den cannot help...
Hui-Laho-Nui
Hui-Laho-Nui
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Training a dog?? Empty Re: Training a dog??

Post  808Hunter Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:47 am

I have tried calling the dogs back and it has worked for me but be consistent with the time. For example if you want your dog to go out and return in 20 minutes, you would need to call the dog back in 20 minutes every time and keep calling until the dog returns. It will take longer in the beginning but in the end the dog will work out! I have done that with dogs that would go for 2 or 3 hours and in the end they were 30 minute dogs cause that's what I was looking for. You will be letting every pig in the country know that you are there and lose that element of surprise but in the end have your dog at the range you like. Right on braddah I hope I was helpful, happy hunting!

808Hunter
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  Hui-Laho-Nui Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:02 am

Mahalo bu! Yea u were. i thought about sumtin lidat. My MAIN concern was how u said "da element of surprise" i no like blow my cover. If i'll be yelling or whistling den eredin in da vicinity goin be like "eh, u heard dat? bra we gotta dig!!" BWAHAHA!!! But i guess, hopefully wont be doin dat for too long and will be bak in on da quiet hunts shortly.
Hui-Laho-Nui
Hui-Laho-Nui
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  koa96727 Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:59 am

use a shocker like bird hunters most time it works helps dog lern range
koa96727
koa96727
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  CAVE CANEM Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:37 pm

Varner- Reading your post I am thinking you're talking about how far they range out looking for sign? In proper dog training there should be only one single command given and the dog should obey. If you screamin at the dog repeatedly Sit, Down, Outside or whatever the command is the dog will begin to rely on the 2nd 3rd or more commands. Start off with your dog on a 30-40 ft rope and give the command to return and pull them in and reward until you're not reeling them in any more and they're returning on command. Then head out in the bush and figure out a time limit at which you want them to return and stick to that.

I personally do not like shock collars but if it is something you want to try, Start off with the same 30-40 ft rope and after you give the command and the dog doesn't come shock it while reeling it in until it returns. After they start to figure it out take um to the bush, When they go out and it is time to return give the command and shock um until they return (eyesight or tap your leg) Be repetitive!

If we're talking about trying to shorten a dogs bottom (Stay on the pig when they run) I personally would stay away from this as it is alot easier to ruin a great dog then it is to try and fix it.

My dogs are very short ranged and will return to me when called but we still have hunts where they dissappear for 2-3 hours and there's nothing I can do but wait or get a Garmin to see exactly what they're doing. I try not to scream in the bush but have had no problem catching pigs after I whistled the dogs back in. Good luck on getting the results you're looking for!
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  ShannonChun Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:53 am

Hows it, what i think is that once a dog knows how 2 go far its stuck with him and calling him back is only leting him know that youll be wating 4 him. I had a far dog be4 and tried everything 2 brake um but i belive that those r the tipes of dogs that wont give up the track even thoe the pig is long and gone. hope this helps u out. aloha
ShannonChun
ShannonChun
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  ShannonChun Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:02 am

Also if the dog is catching u pigs at far range then i would just let um be just didnt know what u ment by far range meaning u just wating 4 him all the time or you always answering bark far...... but good luck on your dog. aloha
ShannonChun
ShannonChun
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Hui-Laho-Nui Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:27 am

Eh mahalo boyz! i appreciate da replies cuz dis is a very crucial time/decision for me right now. Da dog is very good. She no bother cattle, she back track real good, she could careless bout small pigs(only goes for half size n above, or if get choice she for da biggest), solid bite, get along great wit other dogs, shes fixed, BIG heart and good temperament. She is jus starting to go a lil too far. It's kinda mixed emotions at da moment cuz i have been successful in gettin da hog she is chasing but other times da garmin loses reception on her collar. Past experience has told me dat it's possible n Being in da optimistic mood i head towards wea had da last signal n hope they get sumtin and jus da collarz are being obstructed and cannot connect to da handheld. But other times i get close n da ting connect fast kine in n out n they actually stay somewhere totally different. I'm sure u folks can see how dis can be frustrating and can piss someone off right... PLAIN N SIMPLE, jus don't wanna travel all dat distance to find out it was for nuttin n now u actually gotta back track n den try go see wea they stay. PRETTY SHITTY CHASING DOGS ALL DAY! Don't get me wrong, still get action cuz my closer range ones hit pigs on da way to retrieve da far ones. But honestly, me n my patna was sayin "feel like da first half of da hunt is for HOGS n den da second half is for DOGS." Razz BWAHAHA!!! tryin fo be kool bout dis situation n not jus "oh, i gotta get rid of dis dog cuz she go too far!" or "FUCK GARMIN!!!"

On a side note, i don't really want her teaching da rest of da crew dat it's ok to go venture lidat.

N yes shannon, i pretty much agree wit u on da dog being set on dat range. Once it's proven successful to them, they gonna keep it up.

Isaac my man!... Yea, she go far. Most times no need sign for her to go look. She jus go. Seems to me as if she jus get one strong nose n she is confident in herself dat she is going to catch up to it sooner or later. Like, she jus like keep goin cuz it jus gets moa fresh as she goes. But to me, it like, HO GIRL! Wea does dat mentality end? Wasn't too bad wen she was pinning hogs from 100-500yds. I can handle dat. N seems like garmin can too but she been pushing da limits a lil.

N i'm jus afraid dat one day im not gonna be able to retrieve her myself.
There are A LOT of variables in hunting and u guyz know the dangers a tracker grabber is in without back up. I'm very glad she been gettin home safely n BIG MAHALOZ to guyz who ever found n called to return my dogs in da past. I've lost a dog before n don't wanna see da day wea i don't get her bak. SUPAH RETARDED KINE FEELING wen u have a cut collar, tracker collar n gps collar on da dog n still cannot locate um.

AM I ALONE ON THESE ISSUES??? its been gettin to me lately das y

Hui-Laho-Nui
Hui-Laho-Nui
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Hog Haters Inc. Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:23 am

I don't claim to know everything about dogs, but i'll let you know what worked for me.

I hunt with a steady crew and my dog used to go super far and i would always have to call for him. What i did was hunt with another crew on the side once in a while and all their dogs are all short to medium range. The first two times i went i thought my idea wasn't going to work as my dog was still doing the same thing but after that he learned to pick up the habit of not going far and he back tracks much better now.

I still hunt with my steady crew but sometimes hunt with my other friend to keep my dog in check. Haven't had to call for him in a long time(knock on wood). Hope this helps!

Hog Haters Inc.
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBoarKVH Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:46 am

Hog hatred.... That's an awesome point. I think that going help me with my long ranger. I have another dog that is maybe about 1 yr old. He goes out pretty far but as soon as he feel like he is missing all his buddies he start to bark!!! How would you handle that type of situation or is it just gonna take time?
BigBoarKVH
BigBoarKVH
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBoarKVH Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:47 am

Lmao. I phone auto correct. Lol. That was for hog haters Inc or anyone that may have some info! Mahalo.
BigBoarKVH
BigBoarKVH
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  kumu Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:26 pm

HUNT THE BUGGA!!!!!!

In The Struggle Together,

KUMU

kumu
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down