Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lets see it!!!!!

+20
4X4TOYOTA
Kauai808
AK Andy
Jedi8541
MAUKAKANE1
fishes808
Misadventure Gear
CAVE CANEM
Nic Barca
HYPA
DJFrosty
KANUHA BROTHERS
evan
pit808
UpFront
Lyle B
Kauai Boy
Vidinha
timmy96815
Koa Boa
24 posters

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Lets see it!!!!! - Page 7 Empty too much scope?

Post  AK Andy Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:56 am

Right On- I'm glad you ordered it, good luck- I dig big scopes most, you are right, to a degree a guy has to let price dictate what he buys, - cool, and a 6-12 x50 on your 06 will be da kine brah! My all time favorite is 4.5-14 x50 Leupold VXL.
AK Andy
AK Andy
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Lets see it!!!!! - Page 7 Empty Re: Lets see it!!!!!

Post  Koa Boa Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:16 am

Good post guys and especially what Cal has said about choosing the right scope for the application etc. and as always the price range you can afford.

But from your post to Bradda Andy I had a feeling you might have already got it so gave you the short answer LOL!!!

The make and model also helps us to help you, if we know what scope youre asking about and what model we are more apt to be able to make a better assesment of the scope if that makes sense.

Anyway, since you ordered it when it comes in mount that puppy up and start shooting.

One last thing you will have to look at is the rings, due to a larger Bell in the front you will need to make sure that your rings are high enough to allow your bell to clear your barrel etc.

Goodluck my bradda
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  UpFront Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:17 am

Oh, I'm all jam up. It's not a 6x12, it's a 6x24x50. The model is a matte finish Vortex Crossfire. I'm not sure if my rings are gonna be ok, so I ordered some high Burris Z rings along with the scope., it comes with a free sun shade too.
UpFront
UpFront
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Lets see it!!!!! - Page 7 Empty vortex scope

Post  Jedi8541 Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:30 am

Dave did you get the Mil-Dot reticle model?
Jedi8541
Jedi8541
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:28 am

Right on Dave yeah I was kinda trippin when you said 6x12x50 I was gonna ask but decided not to Lets see it!!!!! - Page 7 Icon_smile

Do you have a picatinny base or a std two piece base?
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  UpFront Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:14 am

Yeah it has the Mil-Dot reticle. I have the weaver style two piece bases. I was checking out the one piece dead nutz Game Reaper bases but I wasn't sure of the exact one to get and didn't get an answer to my E-mail about it so I dunno, maybe if I have any issues with the ones I ordered I'll figure something out.
UpFront
UpFront
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:27 pm

Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Lets see it!!!!! - Page 7 Empty Bases

Post  Jedi8541 Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:32 pm

Koa, those Ken Farrell bases are some of the best going for the price. I have a couple of them and really like them. One thing about the Ken Farrell bases is they are tall , whether you have the ones with 20 MOA built in or the flat bases the are tall, and you have to be careful when ordering rings. If you order tall rings they might be to tall for a good scope alignment and throw off your cheek weld.

May the force be with you.

Cal
Jedi8541
Jedi8541
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  UpFront Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:19 am

I'm shooting for the front bell to just clear the barrel. I finaly got a price on the DNZ Game Reaper one piece base and it's about $50.00
UpFront
UpFront
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Lets see it!!!!! - Page 7 Empty Bases

Post  Koa Boa Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:42 am

Jedi, Yup I hear you about the height of the Farrell base I have a few as well and they are good bases for the price no doubt. But they can be a problem with the wrong rings and no adj. cheeck piece.

The only thing is that there arent many guys making picatinny bases for the LA round top savage reciever's with the accu-trigger. Ive got some EGW bases as well that I like alot and one or two from Badger but they are SA bases. A buddy told me Warne was making them as well but I didnt check on it yet. TPS also might have some i'll take a look as I peaked my own interest.

I thought Near Mfg. was making them but I checked and they are not, I have Near on the Sako's and a couple 700's like um alot. In fact Jered put on of the Sako's together.

Dave, Yeah was thinking about getting that scope for the small stuff 243,243 AI,6x47 and 6.5x47 Lapua and 260 let us know when it comes in. They have awesome customer service as well cant beat that in my opinion!

Aloha!!!
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  UpFront Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:54 am

The Savage 111 30-06 with 6x24x50 Vortex and Caldwell Bi-Pod.... Oh, Bradda Muns, Last trip to the range narrowed down 2 loads with holes touching holes @ 100 Yds. The 150 Gr. Nosler Spitzers with ballistic tip, and the 165 Gr. Sierra Game Kings flew the best with the lightest powder loads. Only problem was it's two different powder types. Rolling Eyes I wish it ended up being loads with the same powder type so I only had to use one kind. Next week I get to try out the new scope. Smile I should be reaching out to touch those far targets. Lets see it!!!!! - Page 7 Savage008
UpFront
UpFront
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Lets see it!!!!! - Page 7 Empty Right On!!!

Post  Koa Boa Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:41 am

Howzit Bradda Dave,

Right on man looking good, Thats some good shooting my friend when you can get bullets touching each other. Sometimes thats just how it goes with different bullet combo's you know some like the same powder while some dont. Some powders work better with lighter bullets and others work better with heavier stuff. But at the same time thats what makes it so different theres so many possibilities and combo's to try etc. At times I wish that it was as easy as this bullet,that powder,this brass,that primer and BOOM you got the hammer load every time all the time. Ive known and had wildcats that were almost this easy as well as some calibers that just seem to do well with a certain powder,primer,bullet setup that its ALMOST guaranteed to shoot well but you never know until you try and thats the joy of it too sometimes is finding what YOUR rifle likes best.

My 30-06's shot the 180's well with Reloder 22 and the 130's shot well with Varget I believe I need to check on that though. Varget is a VERY hard powder to get right now so if you find it grab a pound or two if you can.

Keep us posted with the progress my friend looking forward to it.

Aloha!
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:54 am

Forgot to add that I noticed you have a stock pack to raise your cheek weld point for proper eye alignment right on man things are shaping up.
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Lets see it!!!!! - Page 7 Empty Sweet looking rig

Post  Jedi8541 Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:05 am

Dave thats a good looking rig you got there. Koa also noticed the cheek rest. That cheek weld is very important. You should practice putting your cheek in the exact same place every time. Not that you got rounds touching each other with a particular load I personally would start working on seating depth to get them even closer. What I mean by that is move the bullet in and out by about .002" at a time and shoot them and see which way the need to be seated to find that sweet spot. Each bullet has a spot at which the lead is just right for its ogive length versus pressure. Some bullets like to touch the lands and other like to be set back about .010" it is just a combination that you will only find by trial and error. If you are going to be a serious reloader there is a book that I would suggest , it is by a fellow named Glen Zideker, the name of it is called " Making the target smaller" and contains some of the best reloading info I have ever seen in one book. You can do a google search and find it. If you think reloading is addictive now wait until you going chasing bullet hole on top of bullet holes in all kind of conditions. Once again this is just my .02 worth.

May the force be with you.

Cal
Jedi8541
Jedi8541
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  CAVE CANEM Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:30 am

Handloading for Competition making the target bigger by Glen Zideker definately is a great book! I ordered it off of Zediker.com for 45.00 shipped and it is one of my manuals that I have read and skimmed through on a few occasions! ( I have been doing alot of reading lately!) Nice Rifle Upfront! I wish I could reload for my -06 but because it is an autoloader I haven't got inot that round just yet!
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  UpFront Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:18 pm

Yeah, the cheek rest gives me a little better sight line and I was noticing a little bounce from my heartbeat with the hard stock, so I'm hoping the pad will get rid of that. Here's another pic of the Sexy Beast without the sunshade, and a better look at the scope...Lets see it!!!!! - Page 7 Sansshadesavage012
UpFront
UpFront
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Lets see it!!!!! - Page 7 Empty Sexy Beast!

Post  AK Andy Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:10 am

SWEEEEEEET!
AK Andy
AK Andy
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Misadventure Gear Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:29 am

Sweet rifle......now go get some duracoat or some krylon on dat rifle!!!!! It looks TOO new..... Laughing
Misadventure Gear
Misadventure Gear
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.misadventuregear.com

Back to top Go down

Post  UpFront Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:48 am

Tried out the new scope today and I'm stoked! Well worth the $$... Launched an all out assault on the hanging steel @ 325Yds.
UpFront
UpFront
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:04 am

Howzit Bradda Dave,

Sorry took little while was camping this week for work.

Looks good my man right on looks like the rings worked out cherry.

So wut da steel stay all bus LOL!!!

Is that the one from SWFA?

Aloha!!!
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  UpFront Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:51 pm

Yeah, that's the scope from SWFA, man great service from those guys... fast shipping, good packing job, and they send choke freebies, lens cloths, stickers, and a catalog.
I love to shoot at those far targets, you can hear the round zip through the air and smack the target, see it swing, and all the dust flies from the impact. Then you hear it ring cheers
UpFront
UpFront
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:00 pm

Howzit Dave,

Yeah Chris is a great guy and great to deal with.

Shooting the gongs is great fun and the sound of it ringing is always good to hear.

Have you decided on a load or will you just keep both loads being that they are different weight bullets and they both will be
more than enough for anything we have here in the islands. If going on a big game hunt for larger game id opt for the 165 SGK
JMHO!

Aloha

Bradda Muns
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  UpFront Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:17 pm

Major malfunction today Muns, I'll PM you with the details.
UpFront
UpFront
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:14 am

Shoots standin' by...........
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  UpFront Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:51 am

So with the Savage down for the count (waiting for parts) I directed my attention to the Ruger 10/22. The Wahine and Boy liked it just the way it was but I couldn't leave well enough alone so I slapped together a Hogue overmold stock, 18" stainless ER Shaw .920 barrel, Bushnell 3x9x40 scope, Caldwell bi-pod, did some trigger work, smoothed up the action, dremeled the bolt release to make it auto, and now it's ready for the range. Laughing Lets see it!!!!! - Page 7 1022009
UpFront
UpFront
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next